WC: Team France 2019 roster

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
This will be a bit of a complicated year for France, as a few players will be missing for different reasons:
For certain Roussel (Injury) and Auvitu (Injury?) and potentially Bellemare(NHL Playoff + Contract year), Texier (NHL playoff, although they play Tampa).
That being said, there is more depth in the team, and we seem to have some young d-men playing well, meaning we maybe won’t have to dress forwards at D for a change.
This will be Philippe Bozon's first year as head coach too, so he will have some pressure. Henderson managed to do pretty well with a limited team throughout the past decade.
Bozon was Bordeaux's coach last season, so I expect to see some Bordeaux's players in the final roster(Gallet,Janil,Barbero or Baazi + Bozon Jr)

Best case scenario:
Bertrand SDC (Bellemare)
Leclerc Texier Rech
S.Treille Guttig Fleury
Perret Ritz/TDC Claireaux
Maia/T.Bozon/Lamperier/Ville/Barbero

Gallet Manavian
Chakiachvili Hecquefeuille
Thiry Janil
Dusseau/Baazi/Crinon

Hardy/Quemener/Buysse

Here is the Extended roster and some additional young players being tested who had a good season in France (Farnier,Colotti,Kazarine etc).

Objective is try and win as many games as we can, avoid relegation.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
I'm not worried this year, because we play Great Britain, probably one of the weekest promoted team outside of South Korea last year.
If the team take care seriously of this business, no problem to avoid relegation.

The key will be the defense, as Bozon wants a new system, faster and more offensive. So defense will have to work harder, be more agressive on the transition game. I expect more work (if possible!) for our goalies.
And the defense is still a problem.
Hecquefeuille is probably the best for the transition but is too often out of position and prone to blunders. Manavian is ok in a limited role, and played way too much in recent years. Steady, but slow.
Chakiachvili, it's make or break, a little too inconsistent. Janil is decent in 3rd pairing and PK.

That leaves our too young jewels, Gallet (league rookie or the year) and Thiry, who held their own last year.
I wonder if Moisand, Dusseau, Crinon and Baazi can take a spot and not be in the press box... I don't think so. 7th at best.

Forward group should be way better.
Stephane Da Costa is healthy this time and can take a game on his back. Bertrand could take a spot as well, without the leash of the Henderson system. I'm curious to see if he can do something, at last. Fleury is a consistent sniper.
Rech had a breakout season in Germany. Perret is always working hard and useful, as Claireaux or Ritz.
I'm excited to see what Leclerc can do. He was a revelation last year in Copenhague, and finished this year as the league MVP.
Guttig, Lampérier, Teddy Da Costa, Sacha Treille are decent veterans. Some youngsters could threaten their spot, though.
That leaves the 4th line and 13th14th forwards. I can see Matima making the team. Great season in Amiens and always showed something in the friendlies.
Maia, Ville, Barbero, Bouvet, Berthon... well, if they win a spot, it should be the press box.
And there are the curious cases of 30+ year old Correia and Rohat, who were used during the friendlies tournament and could find a way.

Despite the injuries, I think France never had such a deep roster and so many choices to make.
Last season, without the "fantastic 4" (Da Costa, Auvitu, Bellemare, Roussel), the team won 2 key games with authority. I expect the same, and even a little better this time. The GB game is a big one though.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Louis Boudon not considered? Also, no Morant despite that Henderson is gone?

Boudon is probably too young at this point. He's still playing NAHL and we have a lot of players better than him, though he as a serious potentiel in a few years. We'll see how he adjust in the NCAA.

Morant... well, that's a tricky one. He declined every selection the last few years of the Henderson era. I think he played in the 1st tournament for Bozon back in october, but wasn't there after. No NT games since 2013 (and he was awful during the olympic qualifying games).
He's 33, and, IMO, he's done for the NT. I'd rather see the kids play than him.

Reactions: Bosse Berglund

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
We are historically bad against weaker team, when we have to play a less counter-attack style of game, so I am bit worried. But it could change with the new coach.

Boudon and Addamo will be big pieces for the team in the future. Maybe the federation didn't want to buy them a ticket from NA to play in a few friendlies, knowing that they probably wouldn't make the team anyway.
Leclerc was a bit 'forgotten' too when he was in NA.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
We are historically bad against weaker team, when we have to play a less counter-attack style of game, so I am bit worried. But it could change with the new coach.

Boudon and Addamo will be big pieces for the team in the future. Maybe the federation didn't want to buy them a ticket from NA to play in a few friendlies, knowing that they probably wouldn't make the team anyway.
Leclerc was a bit 'forgotten' too when he was in NA.

Yes, we were bad vs promoted team, but won anyway (except 2014 vs Italy). And despite 7 newcomers last season, the team was very strong and dominant vs Belarus and Austria, earning 6 pts without a scare. I'm not worried this season, I think the mental side of this is behind us.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Yes, we were bad vs promoted team, but won anyway (except 2014 vs Italy). And despite 7 newcomers last season, the team was very strong and dominant vs Belarus and Austria, earning 6 pts without a scare. I'm not worried this season, I think the mental side of this is behind us.

I love this time of year, spring, the NHL playoffs and obsessing about IIHF WC rosters. So, when the camp roster came out a few weeks back, I was disappointed Addamo didn't get an invite, but understood he was a long shot anyway. So, I appreciate your insight here. I understand that questions aren't an appropriate conversation device, but I am afraid questions are all I have at this point.

I am surprised that given Bourgeois appeared to play a regular shift in the Mestis, he isn't in the main camp? Curious about the reasoning.

With how you described Bozon's peferred style of play, doesn't Dame-Malka have a shot at the roster?

You don't mention Tim Bozon. He got another contract despite an apparently underwhelming year in the NLA. Dad doesn't pick him?

I am a little fuzzy on how relegation works in the Ligue Magnus Is Strasbourg being relegated?

Thanks very much for any light you can shed,
Go Dragons!

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
Bourgeois is not in the main camp, but he will play in the pre pre WC games , so who knows what they will do if he performs. Roussel, Auvitu are in the main list so nothing is set in stone.
I didn't see him or Ville play in Mestis so can't comment on how they improved.

I am pretty sure T.Bozon will be in the team, unless he is really bad in the friendlies or some youg guy outplays him.

Strasbourg finished last in the regular season, and also last in the "relegation pool" they have going on. So they should be relegated.
Now, every year there is a team or two that has financial difficulties, and gets relegated by the federation. (Last year was Epinal).
When it happens teams are asked if they want to postulate for a place, following some sort of logic (relagated team, then 2nd in div1 etc),
that's how Strasbourg staid in the league last year despite finishing last.
This year Strasbourg has already stated that they will play in Div 1 regardless, and we hope no team will get in financial trouble.
Briancon should get promoted.

Reactions: Friar85

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Bourgeois is not in the main camp, but he will play in the pre pre WC games , so who knows what they will do if he performs. Roussel, Auvitu are in the main list so nothing is set in stone.
I didn't see him or Ville play in Mestis so can't comment on how they improved.

I am pretty sure T.Bozon will be in the team, unless he is really bad in the friendlies or some youg guy outplays him.

Strasbourg finished last in the regular season, and also last in the "relegation pool" they have going on. So they should be relegated.
Now, every year there is a team or two that has financial difficulties, and gets relegated by the federation. (Last year was Epinal).
When it happens teams are asked if they want to postulate for a place, following some sort of logic (relagated team, then 2nd in div1 etc),
that's how Strasbourg staid in the league last year despite finishing last.
This year Strasbourg has already stated that they will play in Div 1 regardless, and we hope no team will get in financial trouble.
Briancon should get promoted.
Thanks for the reply!

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
What he said :D

I like Bourgeois a lot, but he's really undersized. He's 5'8" and that's really short for the physical play in the WC. A guy like Moisand, or Baazi, were outmatched and they are a little bit higher than him and more experienced. I still have nightmares of watching Moisand fighting for position in the crease with Patrick Maroon in 2016 WC...

Addamo will be there one day. But he needs pro experience before, I think. A few years ago, when France was promoted back in 2008, we would have welcome any guy with such a potential. But the work put by the federation since has paid dividends, and we now have way more depth. You can find half of the roster in the biggest leagues of the world, and the rest is having an impact in the French elite. The Magnus league is also way better, with 44 games, competitive, a very good level.

Tim Bozon... well, I don't like him, but yes, I guess he's going to be there. I find extraordinary to have him back after his horrible disease. That's great, and full credit to him for the work he did. To be back as a pro player is amazing. But he's average IMO. And I didn't like his attitude during the 2016 WC. I hope he has matured since.
I prefer Douay at this point : not a great offensive player, but he works harder, so much harder. Great team player. Unfortunately, he has a knee injury.
Bozon won't crack the top-6 and I doubt he can be a true bottom-6 player. But he has some size, skating, skills... I really hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: Friar85

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
What he said :D

I like Bourgeois a lot, but he's really undersized. He's 5'8" and that's really short for the physical play in the WC. A guy like Moisand, or Baazi, were outmatched and they are a little bit higher than him and more experienced. I still have nightmares of watching Moisand fighting for position in the crease with Patrick Maroon in 2016 WC...

Addamo will be there one day. But he needs pro experience before, I think. A few years ago, when France was promoted back in 2008, we would have welcome any guy with such a potential. But the work put by the federation since has paid dividends, and we now have way more depth. You can find half of the roster in the biggest leagues of the world, and the rest is having an impact in the French elite. The Magnus league is also way better, with 44 games, competitive, a very good level.

Tim Bozon... well, I don't like him, but yes, I guess he's going to be there. I find extraordinary to have him back after his horrible disease. That's great, and full credit to him for the work he did. To be back as a pro player is amazing. But he's average IMO. And I didn't like his attitude during the 2016 WC. I hope he has matured since.
I prefer Douay at this point : not a great offensive player, but he works harder, so much harder. Great team player. Unfortunately, he has a knee injury.
Bozon won't crack the top-6 and I doubt he can be a true bottom-6 player. But he has some size, skating, skills... I really hope he proves me wrong.

Thanks so much for both the replies. My French reading comprehension is just ok and I have a hard time finding hockey websites with this type of information. If I may, one more question. Do Maia or Gabin Ville get a legitimate shot to play?

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Thanks so much for both the replies. My French reading comprehension is just ok and I have a hard time finding hockey websites with this type of information. If I may, one more question. Do Maia or Gabin Ville get a legitimate shot to play?

Long shots, IMO.
Depends on the system Bozon wants to put in place. They have to outplay some more experienced playes like Guttig or Lampérier, who didn't produce a lot over the years in the WC. They're in the mix with guys like Bozon, Bouvet, Berthon, Matima, Correia, Rohat for a 4th line job or 13th/14th spot.

As for the website... It's hard to cover hockey in France. The biggest medias seldom talk about it. There's only 1 daily sports newspaper (L'equipe) and the didn't bother to send any journalist there in Copenhague. It's going to be the same in Kosice. Last season, there wasn't any pro journalist over there (only 1 from a regional neswpaper but on holidays, she wrote some articles though).
That left the 2 leading amateur websites/blogs as the lone covers of the event :
-Hockey Archives
-Hockey Hebdo

I'm a writer on Hockey Archives and accredited media since 2014, going to the world championship every year. It will be my 9th WC and 6th as a media. I'll be in Kosice to report, including practices and every games.
But I'm writing in French, even on my twitter account, sorry :D

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Long shots, IMO.
Depends on the system Bozon wants to put in place. They have to outplay some more experienced playes like Guttig or Lampérier, who didn't produce a lot over the years in the WC. They're in the mix with guys like Bozon, Bouvet, Berthon, Matima, Correia, Rohat for a 4th line job or 13th/14th spot.

As for the website... It's hard to cover hockey in France. The biggest medias seldom talk about it. There's only 1 daily sports newspaper (L'equipe) and the didn't bother to send any journalist there in Copenhague. It's going to be the same in Kosice. Last season, there wasn't any pro journalist over there (only 1 from a regional neswpaper but on holidays, she wrote some articles though).
That left the 2 leading amateur websites/blogs as the lone covers of the event :
-Hockey Archives
-Hockey Hebdo

I'm a writer on Hockey Archives and accredited media since 2014, going to the world championship every year. It will be my 9th WC and 6th as a media. I'll be in Kosice to report, including practices and every games.
But I'm writing in French, even on my twitter account, sorry :D

That’s awesome, thanks. I do read hockey hebdo. It just takes me awhile to get through the content! I will check out your site as well. I caught the WC France-Slovenia game in Paris, loved the atmosphere. Walked across the bridge after the game and had riverside drinks with a bunch of French fans afterward. My (adult) son still considers it his favorite hockey memory, outside of his own games of course.

Bosse Berglund

May 7, 2014
Malmoe, Sweden
A follow up question: What are you French hockey experts thoughts on Kevin Spinozzi?
Lots of points in ECHL.

Have cheered for France ever since their QF 2014 and the great chemistry of Bellemare - Da Costa- Roussel that year. Love their desire for the national team, combative mindset and will to really play hockey, not just defend themselves as other ”weaker” teams do in Elite level.

Reactions: pukovnik

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
A follow up question: What are you French hockey experts thoughts on Kevin Spinozzi?
Lots of points in ECHL.

Have cheered for France ever since their QF 2014 and the great chemistry of Bellemare - Da Costa- Roussel that year. Love their desire for the national team, combative mindset and will to really play hockey, not just defend themselves as other ”weaker” teams do in Elite level.

This is why I have sympathy for them as well. Very well said !:)

Reactions: Bosse Berglund

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
I am unsure Kevin Spinozzi is eligible to play fot France. Maybe Belizarius knows more. He seems to have played with Amiens in the U18, but he was never talked about/called by the french fed...

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Lots of points in ECHL.

That 2014 team was amazing. I was in the rink when Bellemare scored in the shootout vs Canada... and all the games. I stayed 1 more day to see the quarterfinals. Terrific memories !

As for Spinozzi, he surely would be an intriguing addition but, at this point, he was never called up for France NT and I don't know if he wants to play. He was born in Canada and played minor hockey in France (Amiens U18 team) before leaving for the OHL. He has size and skill, but does he want to play for us ?

This is why I have sympathy for them as well. Very well said !:)

Thanks a lot :)
The team always work hard, want to be hard to play against. That's what we like :)

Reactions: pukovnik

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
I am unsure Kevin Spinozzi is eligible to play fot France. Maybe Belizarius knows more. He seems to have played with Amiens in the U18, but he was never talked about/called by the french fed...
Correct. His father Franck is a long time coach of Neuilly sur Marne (French 2nd level) though.
I don't know if he has enough years of youth hockey to be eligible, to be honest.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Correct. His father Franck is a long time coach of Neuilly sur Marne (French 2nd level) though.
I don't know if he has enough years of youth hockey to be eligible, to be honest.

I think if he hasn't played for any other country and has french passport it is enough that he played in at least U12 league or older for two years to be eligible to play for France.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
1st friendly game vs Russia.

A kids lineup for Team France.

So, Kevin Bozon looks like he was playing on the top line today. I have never seen him play, but statistically he looks like a marginal NLB player. Any concern he may sneak onto the roster?

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
So, Kevin Bozon looks like he was playing on the top line today. I have never seen him play, but statistically he looks like a marginal NLB player. Any concern he may sneak onto the roster?
no, he won't.
Most of the players here were there just to get a taste of international competition, high level one.

Rech, Claireaux, Hecquefeuille will be there. Gallet as well. I don't think any of the others will be there. Or only one or two, like Matima or Bouvet... we'll see :)

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
Second game against Russia today, same lineup, Buysse in for Ylonen . Loss 2-0. I watched the game, I thought they played well, although Russia didn't play like they really cared. K.Bozon was noticeable for France.

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
Da Costa is uncertain (injured?). He will give his final answer in 8 days.
Apparently some players were cut, and some others will join the team. Thiry is not part of that second wave of players. Perret seems to be joining later, if at all.

If we don't have Bellemare, Roussel, Auvitu, SDC, Texier and Thiry.. then I'm a bit worried. Hopefully some good news in the next few days (please Tampa, win some games..)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->