Team Finland U18 WJC Roster Talk.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I know it's early to think U18 WJC's.
But right now looks, that Finland might get really good team U18's too.

Main age-group in this tourney is 1998 born, but 1999 could participate too.
Here's my first speculations for U18's.

1st line Tolvanen Ikonen Vesalainen.
Juolevi Välimäki

2nd line Laine Somppi Puljujärvi
Vaakanainen Niemeläinen

3rd line Koivula Kuokkanen E Tuulola
Salo Reunanen

4th line Jääskä Mäkinen Nurmi
Almari Felixson

Goalies
Isokangas
Halonen
Törnqvist

Potential challengers
Oula Kuure
Arttu Ruotsalainen
Aapeli Räsänen
Kasper Kotkansalo
Paavo Kilponen
Emil Oksanen
Leevi Laakso
Verneri Vähäkangas
Artturi Toivola
Eetu Pylkkänen
Jani Kluuskeri
Ville Ruokonen

Bigger question-marks, are that is Puljujärvi and Laine available.
Kärpät and Tappara are playing liiga playoffs, when U18's starts in April 14th

Also there's not any guarantees, does Juolevi, Niemeläinen,Välimäki,Felixson and Somppi released their CHL teams.

USA is tournament host and dominant world champion , so they are strongest gold medal contenders.
Also Canada has always, strong team in U18's.

Sweden,Finland,Czech Republic are challengers.

Russia is always Russia, they might play well and go to medal games.
But also they can loss in quarterfinals.

Switzerland is dark horse, they loss bronze medal game against Canada in their home U18 WJC's.
What they can do in Grand Forks, if they play well and their best players are top speed.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I know it's early to think U18 WJC's.
But right now looks, that Finland might get really good team U18's too.

Main age-group in this tourney is 1998 born, but 1999 could participate too.
Here's my first speculations for U18's.

1st line Tolvanen Ikonen Vesalainen.
Juolevi Välimäki

2nd line Laine Somppi Puljujärvi
Vaakanainen Niemeläinen

3rd line Koivula Kuokkanen E Tuulola
Salo Reunanen

4th line Jääskä Mäkinen Nurmi
Almari Felixson

Goalies
Isokangas
Ruokonen
Törnqvist

Potential challengers
Oula Kuure
Markus Nurmi
Arttu Ruotsalainen
Aapeli Räsänen
Kasper Kotkansalo
Paavo Kilponen

Bigger question-marks, are that is Puljujärvi and Laine available.
Kärpät and Tappara are playing liiga playoffs, when U18's starts in April 14th

Also there's not any guarantees, does Juolevi, Niemeläinen,Välimäki,Felixson and Somppi released their CHL teams.

USA is tournament host and dominant world champion , so they are strongest gold medal contenders.
Also Canada has always, strong team in U18's.

Sweden,Finland,Czech Republic are challengers.

Russia is always Russia, they might play well and go to medal games.
But also they can loss in quarterfinals.

Switzerland is dark horse, they loss bronze medal game against Canada in their home U18 WJC's.
What they can do in Grand Forks, if they play well and their best players are top speed.

Look like Gold medal contenders for sure, very strong age group for the 98s and 99s, strongest since the 94/95s and probably the better of the two due to the forward depth and talent.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Look like Gold medal contenders for sure, very strong age group for the 98s and 99s, strongest since the 94/95s and probably the better of the two due to the forward depth and talent.

USA has dominated, U18's last 7-8 years.
So they are, strongest world champion candidates.

That's true Finland's 1998-1999 born age-group, is very strong and there's many quality prospects.

But bigger question-mark is, whether Laine and Puljujärvi available.
And playoffs in FEL, have begun when U18 WJC's start with April 14th in Grand Forks USA.

Last edited:

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
USA has dominated, U18's last 7-8 years.
So they are, strongest world champion candidates.

That's true Finland's 1998-1999 born age-group, is very strong and there's many quality prospects.

But bigger question-mark is, whether Laine and Puljujärvi available.
And playoffs in FEL, have begun when U18 WJC's start with April 14th in Grand Forks USA.

Finn Fan,
Is Emil Oksanen a brother of BU's Ahti Oksanen? Same hometown of Kirkkonummi and same Jr. organization, Espoo Blues. How would you compare him to Eeli Tolvanen, who lit up the World U17 Challenge with nine goals?

BTW--Ahti has four in his last three games and scored his 40th career goal last night.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finn Fan,
Is Emil Oksanen a brother of BU's Ahti Oksanen? Same hometown of Kirkkonummi and same Jr. organization, Espoo Blues. How would you compare him to Eeli Tolvanen, who lit up the World U17 Challenge with nine goals?

BTW--Ahti has four in his last three games and scored his 40th career goal last night.

Based on Emil Oksanen's, eliteprospect.com profile.
He's not brother of Ahti Oksanen. ( No mention for that Ahti Oksanen, is Emil's brother)

Espoo Blues juniors, are produced a lot prospects into NCAA.
Eeli Tolvanen who lit up, in World U17 Challenge is dangerous offensive weapon.
And one of the best Finnish winger prospects, in 1999 born age group,.

Tolvanen has already great hands with great release.
His shot is fast and accurate.
Also Tolvanen certainly knows, how to score goals.

Season 2013-2014 Tolvanen played 28 regular season games, in Espoo Blues C juniors ( U16 team).
He scored there 43 goals and assisted 33 goals, and his point total was 76 points.

Past season 2014-2015 Tolvanen played, 41 regular season games in Espoo Blues B juniors. ( U18 team)
There Tolvanen scored 39 goals and assisted 45 goals, and his point total was 84 points.

If we compare Oksanen's and Tolvanen's stats, the difference is big.
Oksanen has scored in his prime level, only 30 points last season ( 2014-2015).
Tolvanen's personal point record, is 84 points made for last season ( 2014-2015).
So we can say Tolvanen, is better scorer than Oksanen.

As a prospect, Tolvanen isn't biggest guy on the ice.
He's only 5'10 tall ( 178cm), and he needs improve his skating ( more skating speed).
Also his physicality and physical abilities, needs improving before NHL career.

TSN scouting director Craig Button ranked, Eeli Tolvanen fifth best in 2017 NHL draft prospects.
Here's Craig Button's scouting report for Eeli Tolvanen

Excellent goal scoring ability. Great hands with a great release and doesn’t allow the goalie to get a read on the shot. Moves himself to position to take advantage and can open up opportunities for himself because he's smart and can break down opponents. Quick, fast and agile and he can free himself quickly for an scoring chance. Dangerous offensive weapon.

Last edited:

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
London Knights are too stacked so we can forget about Juolevi making the team.

But luckily Halifax and Tri-City aren't playing well and if they miss the playoffs or at least get a strong opponent in the 1st round of the playoffs it looks like Somppi and Välimäki could be in the team. Niemeläinen's Saginaw are a little better but not too much. Looks like 1st round exit to me at the moment, but anything can happen in hockey.

Kärpät and Tappara are playing too well at the moment and I'm hoping that they will face each other in the playoffs (not in the final) so at least one of them will be in the tournament (I prefer Puljujärvi and Tappara is the better team at the moment).

And here is a look of how I see this team at the moment:

J Kuokkanen - O Somppi - J Puljujärvi / P Laine
E Tolvanen - O Mäkinen - E Oksanen
K Vesalainen - A Räsänen - E Tuulola
O Koivula - J Jääskä - M Nurmi

J Välimäki - T Reunanen
U Vaakanainen - M Niemeläinen
K Kotkansalo - H Jokiharju

S Isokangas
L Laakso

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
London Knights are too stacked so we can forget about Juolevi making the team.

But luckily Halifax and Tri-City aren't playing well and if they miss the playoffs or at least get a strong opponent in the 1st round of the playoffs it looks like Somppi and Välimäki could be in the team. Niemeläinen's Saginaw are a little better but not too much. Looks like 1st round exit to me at the moment, but anything can happen in hockey.

Kärpät and Tappara are playing too well at the moment and I'm hoping that they will face each other in the playoffs (not in the final) so at least one of them will be in the tournament (I prefer Puljujärvi and Tappara is the better team at the moment).

And here is a look of how I see this team at the moment:

J Kuokkanen - O Somppi - J Puljujärvi / P Laine
E Tolvanen - O Mäkinen - E Oksanen
K Vesalainen - A Räsänen - E Tuulola
O Koivula - J Jääskä - M Nurmi

J Välimäki - T Reunanen
U Vaakanainen - M Niemeläinen
K Kotkansalo - H Jokiharju

S Isokangas
L Laakso

How you see Oliver Felixson's, chances to make in the team.
Saint John Seadogs really is, stacked team but even they could get eliminated in CHL playoffs just like London Knights.

Of course there's not, any guarantees for that Juolevi and Felixson are in the team or even available for U18 WJC's.

Halifax Mooseheads hasn't been impressive, and when they might be out of playoffs.
In that scenario Somppi would Finland's 1st center, if we ( Finns) don't get Joni Ikonen.

If Finland wont get Eeli Tolvanen into team, how Finland will replace him.
What you think, does Finland has chances go to medal games in U18 WJC's

However let's hope Finland gets, good team in U18 WJC's and they go medal games.
Also we have to give a lot credit for YLE that they seem, all Finalnd's games in U18 WJC's live broadcast.
Now entire Finland can be viewed ,U18 world championships without MTV Max Sport pay-TV channels.

Last edited:

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I didn't count Felixson because I think that Saint John will have a deep Playoff run. I haven't seen his games but his stats aren't that impressive and he was cut from the Ivan Hlinka roster.

Also Tolvanen isn't really a big loss expecially if we'll have at least one of Laine or Puljujärvi. Tolvanen hasn't shown much against older opponents and we have good players for top 6.

We have a strong defense and offense and it all comes to goaltending if we want to win medal this season and I think that we have a very good shot at winning a medal.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I didn't count Felixson because I think that Saint John will have a deep Playoff run. I haven't seen his games but his stats aren't that impressive and he was cut from the Ivan Hlinka roster.

Also Tolvanen isn't really a big loss expecially if we'll have at least one of Laine or Puljujärvi. Tolvanen hasn't shown much against older opponents and we have good players for top 6.

We have a strong defense and offense and it all comes to goaltending if we want to win medal this season and I think that we have a very good shot at winning a medal.

You're right, we'll have strong team in U18 WJC's.
Yeah Felixson's stats in QMJHL, aren't impressive ( 1 assist).
But he's mostly stay at home defenceman, than power-play quarterback or shooter ( Ristolainen type player).

I visited USHL's website, and right now seems that Sioux City Musketeers is going to USHL playoffs.
Their record after 14 games is, 7 wins and 7 loss and 14 points.
But of course anything can happen there too.

Tolvanen wont be big loss, and probably he plays in USHL entire season.
His main U18 WJC's are spring 2017, and if / when we get Laine or Puljujärvi in the team it's good.

I see Vesalainen much valuable, than Tolvanen right now.
Vesalainen is versatile player, and he's bigger offensive talent than Tolvanen.

Tolvanen is passable prospect, but his skating is and it looks horrible.
And he's also, too one-sided in offensive end.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Does Halonen the Jokerit goalie have a chance at a job here? Nice numbers in the Jr A.
He does. At least he should make the team, since I don't currently see three better goalies than him.

ATM Isokangas does look like the projected starter though, but there's plenty of hockey to played between here and there.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Does Halonen the Jokerit goalie have a chance at a job here? Nice numbers in the Jr A.

Played fairly well at Ivan Hlinka — at least looking at numbers. Curous why original post had Ruokonen and Tornqvist listed and not Halonen?

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Only saw numbers from recent Five Nations Tournament and didn't see any of the actual games. Were Isokangas' numbers bad because of the players in front of him or was it indicative of his play?

And what is your take on Leevi Laakso?

I forgot listed him, sorry for that it was my mad.
I'm removed Ruokonen, and replaced him for Halonen.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Team for Switzerland tournament in 26-30.12

G:

30 Leevi Laakso, Sport Vaasa
31 Niilo Halonen, Jokerit Helsinki

D:

2 Niclas Almari, Jokerit Helsinki
5 Kasper Kotkansalo, Blues Espoo
20 Eetu Pylkkänen, Jokerit Helsinki
23 Robin Salo, Sport Vaasa
25 Miro Heiskanen, HIFK Helsinki
27 Henri Jokiharju, Tappara Tampere
28 Urho Vaakanainen, Blues Espoo

F:

3 Otto Mäkinen, Tappara Tampere
4 Emil Oksanen, Blues Espoo
6 Jerry Turkulainen, JYP Jyväskylä
7 Riku Sihvonen, JYP Jyväskylä
10 Kristian Vesalainen, Frölunda Indians Ruotsi
12 Sami Moilanen, Jokerit Helsinki
13 Juha Jääskä, HIFK Helsinki
15 Joona Koppanen, Ilves Tampere
18 Janne Kuokkanen, Kärpät Oulu
19 Eetu Tuulola, HPK Hämeenlinna
21 Markus Nurmi, TPS Turku
22 Aapeli Räsänen, Tappara Tampere
24 Niko Kuiri, Kärpät Oulu

Nice to see Heiskanen there. Not much hype for him, even though he's been outstanding in A-Juniors.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I agree on Heiskanen really liked his play at the u17 hockey challenge he can really carry the puck and has nice skills. I quess that also "hints" Vaakanainen and Salo chances of making WJC team

Last edited:

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Nice to see Heiskanen there. Not much hype for him, even though he's been outstanding in A-Juniors.

I've been a big fan of Heiskanen for two years now. He was great at U18's last season, rushing the puck up the ice and playing a responsible defensive game. Scored one awesome coast-to-coast goal too. He's been very solid at U20's this season. Such a smooth skater with speed and agility, makes heady passes. Plus has a quick stick that allows him to intercept passes. Smart and consistently makes the right decisions in all three zones.

Rhyagelle

Apr 17, 2013
I agree on Heiskanen really liked his play at the u17 hockey challenge he can really carry the puck and has nice skills. I quess that also "hints" Vaakanainen and Salo chances of making WJC team

i would guess that - as u18 coaches had to name a team before u20 roster was clear - they just played it safe by naming those two in case they become available from u20.

both guys would have couple FEL games during the 5-nations tournament, so it might be they skip u18 anyways..

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
i would guess that - as u18 coaches had to name a team before u20 roster was clear - they just played it safe by naming those two in case they become available from u20.
Most likely this. Though I would be quite surprised if at least one of them wouldn't be available.

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
Our defence looks really solid in this age group. Many possible future NHL players there.

Laine and Puljujärvi has quite a busy season. :D Liiga + Playoffs, CHL, U20WJC, U18WJC...

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Does Laine and Puljujärvi has a national team clause their liiga contracts.
If the'll have that clause their liiga teams must release them U18 WJC's.

Of course that's not likely because liiga playoffs are same time with that tournament.
I hope that Finland gets good team in U18 WJC's last year gold medal was really close.

Hopefully Finland has a medal chances this year too.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Does Laine and Puljujärvi has a national team clause their liiga contracts.
If the'll have that clause their liiga teams must release them U18 WJC's.
To put it shortly and simply: No clause like that even exists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->