Team Finland (Official roster)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
finska said:
That's cuz Gretzky never played in any WC games! He only played in the Canada Cups and the Olympics. :banana:

Gretzky played at the 1982 Worlds in Finland where he won the scoring title along with a bronze medal. Canada secured the medal in their last medal round game against Sweden when Gretzky scored 2+3 despite "not being good enough to tie Patrik Sundström's laces".

Kyri

Apr 5, 2002
Visit site
Finland`s lines in practises:

Peltonen/Kuhta-O.Jokinen-Kallio
Pärssinen-N.Kapanen-Hentunen
Hagman-Hahl-Rita
J.Ruutu-Pirnes/Pirjetä-Eloranta

(Missing J.Jokinen,Viuhkola,Pakaslahti)

Niemi-Nummelin
Timonen-Karalahti
Söderholm-Mäntylä
Saravo

(Missing Väänänen,Kukkonen)

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Hassan said:
No he didn't. His place as the number one goalie in his team was occasionally even disputed.
And when was this? By Inka?
Hassan said:
I'd say he was the 6th or 7th best in the league. In any event, he hasn't been good enough to make it to the team
Well lets compare then.
x - Bäckström - Tenth in reg. season but solid nr.1 in playoffs
x - Thomas - Nr. 1 in reg. season but shaky in some p-o games.
3 - Roloson - good reg season and great against HIFK and couple of bad games against Kärpät.
4 - i also see that Nurminen who played extremely well in Pelicants, the worst team in the league, is better goalie mentaly than Noronen, he played 17 games in reg season.
5. Noronen - Ok reg season, he was nr.1-2 goalie in the league staticly in his 15 first games. Couple of bad games against TPS in the p-os. Played very well against Jokerit, being one the best in the team.

Vehanen is also good goalie, but only 17 games in reg season and 57 minutes in the Bronze game dont convince me him being better
than Noronen.

Vokoun - Ok reg season and sucked in pos - Dissapointment of the year
Toskala - 3r & 6po games. Well havent seen his games this season but he was good in at least 6 games. But 9 games isnt a season, its a tournament.
Lassila wasnt better, ask anyone.

So the i dont see the season for Noronen as a dissapointment, you are only as good as your team.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
^
Don't forget Wallinheimo who played quite well in a weaker team overall. Six shutouts in 37 games while Bäckström played one more shutout and ten more games in a alot better team overall. Only Thomas needed less games for each shutout.

Hassan

Apr 18, 2005
I'd say that the goalies who were better than Noronen this season were Bäckström, Thomas, Roloson, Langkow, Wallinheimo and Vehanen.

Hassan

Apr 18, 2005
Kyri said:

Hagman-Hahl-Rita

Niemi-Nummelin
Timonen-Karalahti
Söderholm-Mäntylä
Saravo

What is your source?

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
re:

Jussi said:
Gretzky played at the 1982 Worlds in Finland where he won the scoring title along with a bronze medal. Canada secured the medal in their last medal round game against Sweden when Gretzky scored 2+3 despite "not being good enough to tie Patrik Sundström's laces".

Don't you love the information age? :sarcasm:

Too bad there are no longer players like Gretzky, well, maybe Tuomo Ruutu will be the next one. :innocent:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Kyri said:

Hagman-Hahl-Rita

Niemi-Nummelin
Timonen-Karalahti
Söderholm-Mäntylä
Saravo

looks weak to me... anyone else?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
mazmin said:

It is weak. Six of our top ten forwards (Selänne, T. Ruutu, S. Koivu, Lehtinen, S. Kapanen, Nieminen) have declined due to injuries, family reasons etc. Five of our top eight defencemen (Salo, Niinimaa, Numminen, Lydman, Berg) have declined, and also our best goalie (Kiprusoff).

On the other hand, there is no pressure whatsoever and the role of the under dog suits Finland well.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
re:

mazmin said:

It's definitely weak on paper, compared to the lineups of Canada, Russia, Sweden...even U.S. The only high quality players (within the NHL standard anyhow) IMO are Olli Jokinen, Kimmo Timonen, and possibly Jussi Markkanen if he plays. The rest are a group of players that are skilled, but just not well known to North American fans as standout players. If this team develops a good chemistry and leadership (in say Jokinen), I think they are a darkhorse team to watch.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
finska said:
The only high quality players (within the NHL standard anyhow) IMO are Olli Jokinen, Kimmo Timonen, and possibly Jussi Markkanen if he plays.

Markkanen's not considered. The goalies have been set Monday (?), Norrena and Bäckström, Nurminen reserve.

Hassan

Apr 18, 2005
Jussi said:
Markkanen's not considered. The goalies have been set Monday (?), Norrena and Bäckström, Nurminen reserve.

The goalies are not final, though. Some changes might still be made.

Hassan

Apr 18, 2005
mazmin said:

It doesn't necessarily mean the team is weak if you've heard of only less than half of the team's players. You know, NHL and AHL aren't the only leagues with skilled players, as some Canadians seem to think.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Jussi said:

To me, this suggests that in the tourney our net will be guarded by Nurminen, with Norrena and Bäckström now fighting over the #2 spot.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Raimo Sillanpää said:
To me, this suggests that in the tourney our net will be guarded by Nurminen, with Norrena and Bäckström now fighting over the #2 spot.

No, Nurminen is tha reserve that stays home. Pasi won't come to these tourneys unless he's guaranteed the Number 1 goalie position.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I am not at all worried about our goalies. Bäckström was phenomenal against lukko and jokerit. I'm not even sure if we should bring in Lehtonen even if he drops out of the playoffs. Norrena is very good too, and has lots of experience.

But goalie is the only position I'm not worried about.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
1st EHT bronze medal game, Litvinov:

Czech Republic 3 - 3 Finland

6.36 1-0 Vrbata (Kotalik, Hlavac)
13.02 1-1 Niemi (Kallio, Peltonen) PP
14.10 1-2 J. Jokinen (Viuhkola)
15.52 1-3 Pakaslahti (Väänänen)
24.45 2-3 Vyborny (Straka) SH
45.15 3-3 Dvorak (Hemsky, Prospal)

Vokoun, 6+10+9=25 saves
Norrena, 18+13+10=41 saves

2nd game is played in Helsinki on Sunday.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Jussi said:

Why wasn't Markkanen considered? He's usually played well internationally for Finland, and he had an excellent season in Russia...

Hassan

Apr 18, 2005
dawgbone said:
Why wasn't Markkanen considered? He's usually played well internationally for Finland, and he had an excellent season in Russia...

I actually haven't heard anything of him, when it comes to WCH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad