Team Finland (Official roster)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
finska said:
What's wrong with Niinimaa? He is a solid defenceman, and we really do need him in this competition if we are to have any kind of chance.
Solid is the last word to use about the adventurer. I'll give you good offensively, but solid? no friggin way. especially not with Leijonat...
His five-giveaways nights was more embarresement than EG Janne Laukkanen or Ian Moran had in their entire careers.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
mattihp said:
Solid is the last word to use about the adventurer. I'll give you good offensively, but solid? no friggin way. especially not with Leijonat...
His five-giveaways nights was more embarresement than EG Janne Laukkanen or Ian Moran had in their entire careers.

ahhwell. I still like the SOB. He is more like a Bryan McCabe than a Rob Blake, but he is a good addition to our team anyhow. He brings much needed offence, and can quarterback the powerplay.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
finska said:
ahhwell. I still like the SOB. He is more like a Bryan McCabe than a Rob Blake, but he is a good addition to our team anyhow. He brings much needed offence, and can quarterback the powerplay.
I expect to see him as the second man on the 1st powerplay... With Nummelin being the quarterback by far, and Timonen as the second quarterback.

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
Boucicaut said:
Off-topic, but I see that you hail from Paavola, Michigan. That happens to be my surname, and as lots of Finns emigrated to Michigan there might some distant relatives of mine living there.

Yeah Paavola isn't really much more than a crossroads now, on the outskirts of Hancock in the Upper Pennisula, where we have our bilingual street signs...I never did know a Paavola from Paavola, but I know i've seen the name up here at some point...I have Finn blood, but not the cool last name, mine's German..

We've got all kinds of Finnish place names up here, the cities of Toivola, Tapiola, Elo, Wainola, Nisula plus a bunch of street names..My mom remembers back in the 70's, that there were still a fair amount of old people who couldn't speak English at all...
And the high school up here is probably the only one in North Am. where you can take Finnish as an elective course..

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
dw2927 said:
Where are the ex-NHL Finnish goaltenders?
Why? They're playing on the big ice, might as well bring a goalie who is used to it.

If the NHL ever gets their act straightened out, I wish Tampa would try harder to get Norrena over here, the man puts up excellent numbers.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Sotnos said:
Why? They're playing on the big ice, might as well bring a goalie who is used to it.

If the NHL ever gets their act straightened out, I wish Tampa would try harder to get Norrena over here, the man puts up excellent numbers.

Too late for Norrena I think...

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
dw2927 said:
Yeah Paavola isn't really much more than a crossroads now, on the outskirts of Hancock in the Upper Pennisula, where we have our bilingual street signs...I never did know a Paavola from Paavola, but I know i've seen the name up here at some point...I have Finn blood, but not the cool last name, mine's German..

We've got all kinds of Finnish place names up here, the cities of Toivola, Tapiola, Elo, Wainola, Nisula plus a bunch of street names..My mom remembers back in the 70's, that there were still a fair amount of old people who couldn't speak English at all...
And the high school up here is probably the only one in North Am. where you can take Finnish as an elective course..

Cool. Thanks for the info man! :)

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Here's what I think the final team should look like, though I'm not sure about all the injuries and refusals.

Goalkeepers
Fredrik Norrena
Niklas Bäckström
Teemu Lassila

I don't miss the NHL goalies. Norrena and Bäckström can do the job just as well. We won't go down because of the goalkeeping.

D-men
Petteri Nummelin
Kimmo Timonen
Tom Koivisto
Ossi Väänänen
A-J Niemi
Jere Karalahti
Ilkka Mikkola

I think we could build good balanced pairings with these guys. Many will disagree with me on Mikkola, but why not? He's a good all-around defender and most importantly, he's a winner. Already pursuing his sixth(?) SM-league gold at the age of 26! It's not a coincidence. I'd rather take him than Niinimaa or Kukkonen. Give Mikkola a chance. Or if not Mikkola, then the future star Sami Lepistö.

Forwards
Let's see. I'd like these lines.

Ville Peltonen - Olli Jokinen - Jussi Jokinen
(Skills and leadership)

Jukka Hentunen - Niko Kapanen - Jani Rita (or Timo Pärssinen)
(Energy, energy, energy)

Niklas Hagman - Jarkko Immonen - Hannes Hyvönen
(Energy, hands, the shot)

Ville Nieminen (or Mikko Eloranta) - Riku Hahl - Jarkko Ruutu
(Great checking line)

I would especially want to see...
- J. Jokinen in the first line. He has potential, now give him responsibility.
- J. Immonen in the team instead of, for example, Esa Pirnes. He has potential, now give him responsibility.
- Somebody who can actually score. In this case Hyvönen. Even Kimmo Kuhta will do.

Last edited:

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
First exhibition game in Switzerland:

Switzerland 3 - 2 Finland

7.26 1-0 Della Rossa
20.31 1-1 Karalahti (N. Kapanen)
25.43 1-2 Malmivaara (Mäntylä)
28.02 2-2 Seger (Di Pietro)
51.38 3-2 Fischer (Blindenbacher)

:shakehead
Well, congrats to the Swiss. This was not good showing from Team Finland, but we have to remember that this team will change considerably. Did Switzerland have they best players on ice already or did they have some preliminary squad as well?

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Ipa said:
First exhibition game in Switzerland:

Switzerland 3 - 2 Finland

7.26 1-0 Della Rossa
20.31 1-1 Karalahti (N. Kapanen)
25.43 1-2 Malmivaara (Mäntylä)
28.02 2-2 Seger (Di Pietro)
51.38 3-2 Fischer (Blindenbacher)

:shakehead
Well, congrats to the Swiss. This was not good showing from Team Finland, but we have to remember that this team will change considerably. Did Switzerland have they best players on ice already or did they have some preliminary squad as well?

At least they are missing Jenni, Streit, Plüss... So no, they didn't have their best lineup either... Doesn't look prominent for team Finland :shakehead

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Ipa said:
Ville Peltonen - Olli Jokinen - Jussi Jokinen
(Skills and leadership)

Jukka Hentunen - Niko Kapanen - Jani Rita (or Timo Pärssinen)
(Energy, energy, energy)

Niklas Hagman - Jarkko Immonen - Hannes Hyvönen
(Energy, hands, the shot)

Ville Nieminen (or Mikko Eloranta) - Riku Hahl - Jarkko Ruutu
(Great checking line)

Oh, btw I totally forgot Tomi Kallio and Tony Salmelainen. What's their situations? Is Salmo any better than other energy players? It seems that if there's not some injuries, Hyvönen and Kuhta will be out of the team for sure. I think it's sad because every tournament they lack goal scoring talent, and every time they leave the best SM-league snipers out. Well, I think we will still have a good speedy grinder team, again. They just have to create at least twice amount of scoring chances than the opponent to win any game. But they should be entertaining to watch though...

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Ipa said:
Oh, btw I totally forgot Tomi Kallio and Tony Salmelainen. What's their situations? Is Salmo any better than other energy players? It seems that if there's not some injuries, Hyvönen and Kuhta will be out of the team for sure. I think it's sad because every tournament they lack goal scoring talent, and every time they leave the best SM-league snipers out. Well, I think we will still have a good speedy grinder team, again. They just have to create at least twice amount of scoring chances than the opponent to win any game. But they should be entertaining to watch though...
Salmelainen has amazing speed and vision... But no finishing ability what so ever. But putting him on line with another speedster who can finish off his moves... could be extreme success.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Ipa said:

Switzerland missed Plüss, Jenni and Gerber who were rested after playing in the SEL final, and Streit who suffered a light injury this week.

Any news about who will start in goal for Finland tomorrow ?

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
Norrena certainly still has a shot to make an impact in the NHL..From what i've seen he has been excellent in Europe...Its not a totally fair comparision, but Kiprusoff was a bit of a late bloomer himself

SedinFan*

markov` said:
Wow, what a weak team, Finland used to be my 2nd favorite team every tournament :cry:

Couldn't have said it better, looks as though J. Ruutu will be on the top unit PP. :D

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Habsfan 32 said:
Why is Tuomo Ruutu not playing? Injured or playoffs?
He's fixing his knee so that when the NHL resumes he'll be in perfect shape.

I have a hunch though that Tuomo will always have a "lorvi katarri" when it comes to the world champs and only will show up for bigger events...

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Zack Attack said:
Couldn't have said it better, looks as though J. Ruutu will be on the top unit PP. :D

I think J. Ruutu will be on the team and in some cases he could actually be used in front of the net on PP, but mostly he'll be killing penalties. As said before, this is only preliminary squad and only about ten of these guys will be in the final team, as coach Westerlund said after exhibition games in Switzerland.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Second exhibiton game in Fribourg, Switzerland:

Switzerland 0 - 1 Finland

49.57 Hyvönen (Mäntylä, Pirnes)

Aebischer 47 saves
Norrena 32 saves

Best players
Switzerland, Aebischer
Finland, Pärssinen

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I much rather see Filppula than Pirnes in this tournament...Pirnes is soooo overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad