Team Finland in World Championships

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Matti_A said:
We can all hope Ikken plays like he did in that Sweden game in the Karjala Cup last year, because that's what it's gonna take for team Finland to have a chance at a medal.

Personally I can't see him winnig us more than perhaps the qf.

If we face Sweden with Norrena in goal were dead. Norrena+Sweden+Important game = Total disaster

Yeah, facing tough teams in elimination games and having your number 6 tender (Kipper, Lehtonen, Niittymäki, Toskala and Toivonen are better) between the pipes isn't usually good. However, if our skaters drop the dumb penalties and remain disciplined, I think we still have a chance at a medal.

espo*

Boucicaut said:
Yeah, facing tough teams in elimination games and having your number 6 tender (Kipper, Lehtonen, Niittymäki, Toskala and Toivonen are better) between the pipes isn't usually good. However, if our skaters drop the dumb penalties and remain disciplined, I think we still have a chance at a medal.
A medal?
Geez,until you get put out......i'd say you still have a chance at gold would'nt you?

That's what i think about my teams until someone eliminates them.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
cyclops said:
A medal?
Geez,until you get put out......i'd say you still have a chance at gold would'nt you?

Sure there's a chance. What I meant was that the probability of getting gold would be higher with a better goalie, that's all.

BTW: Good to see you around! Too bad I didn't have a chance to be around and chat with you guys during the Olympics as I was away in the NZ outback.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
cyclops said:
A medal?

You should learn a thing or two about the Finnish mentality :biglaugh:

Savolainen

Oct 10, 2005
Come on, Norrena is not that bad like all people here are saying. I think he is even able to lead Finland to Gold when he is on fire.

espo*

Boucicaut said:
Sure there's a chance. What I meant was that the probability of getting gold would be higher with a better goalie, that's all.

BTW: Good to see you around! Too bad I didn't have a chance to be around and chat with you guys during the Olympics as I was away in the NZ outback.
LOL.i'm afraid i would'nt have been much fun to chat with during the olympics,if you know what i mean!!!

Boy,we stunk the joint out.You guys played well though.Great coaching job and play by them.

did'nt we mention that as a key to Finland's chances before the olympics?

sure turned out to be true.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
cyclops said:
LOL.i'm afraid i would'nt have been much fun to chat with during the olympics,if you know what i mean!!!

Boy,we stunk the joint out.You guys played well though.Great coaching job and play by them.

did'nt we mention that as a key to Finland's chances before the olympics?

sure turned out to be true.

Hehe, I guess so :)

Yep, team work, heart and coaching were thought to be the strong points. Unfortunately our boys didn't have quite enough gas in the tank in the final. It was still pretty close...if only Koivu's stick didn't break at the worst possible moment.

Anyhow, Sweden was the better team that day, despite Team Finland being the team of the tourney.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Matti_A said:
Personally I can't see him winnig us more than perhaps the qf.

If we face Sweden with Norrena in goal were dead. Norrena+Sweden+Important game = Total disaster

Amen. With there being so many finnish NHL-goalies isn't it strange only Niittymäki came to play WC? It's embarrassing to have a near crap goaltender like Norrena now as our 1st goalie... :innocent:

It doesn't matter if Norrena plays well in the 3 straight playoff games (against all odds...), what people tend to forget is that the rest of the Finnish team will adapt their game depending on who the goalie is! In this case our already weak defense will be worried and stay at their own end trying to keep it clear from pucks around Norrena (but with Niitty or say Kipper, defenders trust the goalies to handle the pucks) and this will in turn of course hurt the offense who won't be able to concentrate enough on the attack and not score enough goals... :teach:

Conclusion: Bye bye Gold metal (and a big F** U* to traitor Kipper).

(and I feel sorry for Olli Jokinen, our latest big star player and a guy who's always so loyal to the national team, but once again missing the Gold because of this annoying trend of quitters in Finnish hockey!) :madfire:

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Slime said:
Amen. With there being so many finnish NHL-goalies isn't it strange only Niittymäki came to play WC? It's embarrassing to have a near crap goaltender like Norrena now as our 1st goalie... :innocent:

It doesn't matter if Norrena plays well in the 3 straight playoff games (against all odds...), what people tend to forget is that the rest of the Finnish team will adapt their game depending on who the goalie is! In this case our already weak defense will be worried and stay at their own end trying to keep it clear from pucks around Norrena (but with Niitty or say Kipper, defenders trust the goalies to handle the pucks) and this will in turn of course hurt the offense who won't be able to concentrate enough on the attack and not score enough goals... :teach:

Conclusion: Bye bye Gold metal (and a big F** U* to traitor Kipper).

(and I feel sorry for Olli Jokinen, our latest big star player and a guy who's always so loyal to the national team, but once again missing the Gold because of this annoying trend of quitters in Finnish hockey!) :madfire:

This is how I rank the finnish goalies:

1.Kipper (fatigued physically and mentally and in need of rest, motivation low after a long season, ending in dissapointment, in which he played with an injury the last half of the season. Can't blame him for not coming)
2. Lehtonen (injury)
3. Toivonen (injury)
4. Toskala (still playing)
5. Hurme (still playing)
6. Niittymäki (inconsistent, came to Riga)
7. Norrena (came to Riga)
8. Rinne (still playing I believe)
9. Markkanen (still playing as backup)
10. Noronen (not good enough for team Finland, choked the last time he wore blue and white)

So there you have it Slime, it's not that strange that only Niitty came to Riga.

magical hippo

Feb 25, 2006
These changes would make Team Finland perfect:

1. Learn to play 100% right from the start - not until halfway the game. Unfortunately there are only three periods - if there was four, we would truly rock.

2. Stop becoming zombies when you have made a goal or at the beginning of periods.

3. Stop taking stupid penalties.

4. Don't try to make a pass if a failure leads to a catastrophe.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
So far, favourites:
- Hentunen - gives 110% every time, huge shot(lots of missed but will score!) tons of hits
- J Ruutu and R Hahl - play well defense, can score, lots of hits - also think Bergenheim should play with them, he fits the duo better than Pirnes.
- M Koivu - his best tournament so far, wins pucks everywhere, drives to the net, scores. Right now he is the best player we got.
- T Kallio - not fan of Tomi, but he shoots a lot, gets us PP´s with his speed.

Upsets
- Im bit upset about O Jokinen. Finns played well before he joined the team. After that the Norway game - 2nd line scored the goals, otherwise it was mostly emotionless surfin, Olli was tired - jet lag etc. Against Canada, PP didnt work, Nitti injured, lots of mistakes, and O Jokinen was still a bit lost with his liners and slowish.

- Tuomo Ruutus battery is overcharged, waiting it to reach normal level and score some points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad