WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Looking like another year without a medal. The Finns are pumping more talent to the NHL than ever before, but that is yet to translate to the World Championships.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Looking like another year without a medal. The Finns are pumping more talent to the NHL than ever before, but that is yet to translate to the World Championships.

Because too many of them think it's more important to rest/play fortnite/whatever the hell than represent their country in major events. Too much of 'me first, second and third' mentality.This is one of the main reasons that hockey as a whole is a lot less interesting than it used to be.

Tommi Seppälä has become too good buddies with some of the players so now he is defending all their actions in this.

Those who are injured are excused of course.

Reactions: king89

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
The Swedes seems to bigger patriot than the Finns. I always thought ist was the other way round. ;)

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Because too many of them think it's more important to rest/play fortnite/whatever the hell than represent their country in major events. Too much of 'me first, second and third' mentality.This is one of the main reasons that hockey as a whole is a lot less interesting than it used to be.

Tommi Seppälä has become too good buddies with some of the players so now he is defending all their actions in this.

Those who are injured are excused of course.
True, they are all a bunch of egos. Respect to the few guys that usually comes.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
I always, thought that the Finns NHL Players always show up for their country when they get called, especially the IceHockey where its the biggest sport in Finland?

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
Leijonille tulossa laiha saalis NHL:stä – Mikko Koskinen jättämässä MM-kisat väliin.
If this is true Koskinen will skip men's worlds this spring.
Now we ( Finns) have to hope that some other of our NHL goalies ( Korpisalo, Rask, Saros and Rinne ) gets eliminated in NHL playoffs.

Why tho? Metsola posted nearly similar, arguably better (bigger sample size), postseason stats as Vehanen did in 2011 and we all know how that ended up. For example Korpisalo is definately not a better goalie.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Chill out, everyone. Out of presentely available players who are not either injured or contractless, we currently have two hard nos (Ristolainen, Vatanen), and one probable no (Koskinen). We also have one maybe (Kotkaniemi) and two probable yeses (Barkov, Borgström). Then we have another player's fate pending - Jokiharju is currently in the AHL, and his team still has a slight chance of making it in. But if his season is over next week, I think we have a decent chance to get a yes from him.

I must say though, if all the coins still in the air turn the bad side up, I'm looking forward to seeing whose fault it's going to be. We still gonna blame Marjamäki?

Reactions: LOFIN

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Chill out, everyone. Out of presentely available players who are not either injured or contractless, we currently have two hard nos (Ristolainen, Vatanen), and one probable no (Koskinen). We also have one maybe (Kotkaniemi) and two probable yeses (Barkov, Borgström). Then we have another player's fate pending - Jokiharju is currently in the AHL, and his team still has a slight chance of making it in. But if his season is over next week, I think we have a decent chance to get a yes from him.

I must say though, if all the coins still in the air turn the bad side up, I'm looking forward to seeing whose fault it's going to be. We still gonna blame Marjamäki?
Yeah, you don't have to go back no more than a year to remember the last time people were panicking about our team not getting enough help from NHL but eventually the team ended up looking better than what we've had usually.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Disappointing that Ristolainen isn't using the opportunity to refresh himself with new teammates and a new circumstance. He missed some time right before the end of the season due to illness, but there was a hope he would take the opportunity and start to get his game back in order.

Considering how both Housley and Bylsma have smashed him into the ground with harder competition, d-zone starts and minutes while giving him a succession of terrible partners, I can imagine he's shellshocked.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
anyone who knows how the lineups will look tonight?
Maalilla:
35 Jussi Olkinuora

Varalla:
31 Eetu Laurikainen

1. kenttä:
34 Kaapo Kakko - 22 Arttu Ruotsalainen - 10 Eemeli Suomi
52 Otto Leskinen - 7 Oliwer Kaski

2. kenttä:
19 Veli-Matti Savinainen - 15 Arttu Ilomäki - 65 Sakari Manninen
6 Tony Sund - 55 Miika Koivisto

3. kenttä:
39 Anrei Hakulinen - 24 Hannes Björninen - 23 Joonas Nättinen
2 Tarmo Reunanen - 50 Juuso Vainio

4. kenttä:

76 Jere Sallinen - 21 Eetu Luostarinen - 12 Marko Anttila
51 Jarkko Parikka

13. hyökkääjä:

20 Aleksi Mustonen

Reactions: fr9dd9

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I wouldn't go that far yet as to say Finland won't even get a medal. We have the rainmaker Jukka Jalonen as the coach. Probably the best possible guy for the head coaching job. I'm feeling a medal minimum but as usual a lot depends on that game of death match and the marginals are small so anything can happen.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Good thing there's no Koskinen, honestly. He's been brutal.

Edmonton may have done dumb deal. Especially the salary is way too high. He may have had rough end to the season.

But out of available options he would have been my choice. In truth only better options really would be Rask, Rinne and Saros (IMO in that order). Raanta I guess, but he is out.

Säteri would be decent option, but I believe he is caught in AHL. Metsola would be my choice in this situation. I know he haven´t had great start in few years in NT. But always had quite high opinion of him. But to be honest I´m worried that he will decline.

After that it becomes tricky. Current goalies aren´t WHC level goalies. I´m not that high on Vehviläinen as other, but he has decent chance to get on this team and even be 1b type of goalie. Lankinen might be available. Always liked him, but he would need to get a look and still doubtful that he would be ready to be starting goalie. I believe Kähkönen is also caught in AHL. I have similar expectations from him than Lankinen. Husso is out. Larmi? Maybe as third goalie

I think we end up with Joni Ortio as our starting goalie. Not a fan of that, but we may not have better options.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

Yeah. Was thinking the same thing.

I agree. Some will come as usual. Bit worried about the goalie situations and the fact that the usual suspects (Aho, Rantanen and Granlund) are in playoffs. We might be thin in difference makers.

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
Why should metsola Not come?
If Nashville get eliminated i think saros will come sure if they want him. Rinne is also possible, but in case for saros he could also decline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->