WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Risto dont love play for country.

We might just be lucky he didn't join with that +/- being -41. Lowest number in the entire league. Okay his team sucks and he plays too big minutes but there is something behind that stat when it looks that ugly.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...pe=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=plusMinus&

-----------------------------------

Second worst +/- on a Buffalo defender is Dahlin and Scandella, both at -13 only. It's hard to put all of Ristolainen's ugly +/- on his team when Dahlin's average TOI is just 3 minutes less than Ristolainen's. Scandella 4 minutes less average TOI.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...am.7&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=plusMinus&

Reactions: king89 and illone84

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What is about the Goalies?

I Hope they will wait long if Nashville goalies will be ready
Koskinen maybe. If he says yes, they probably won't bother with others. Vehviläinen as backup.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
We might just be lucky he didn't join with that +/- being -41. Lowest number in the entire league. Okay his team sucks and he plays too big minutes but there is something behind that stat when it looks that ugly.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...pe=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=plusMinus&

-----------------------------------

Second worst +/- on a Buffalo defender is Dahlin and Scandella, both at -13 only. It's hard to put all of Ristolainen's ugly +/- on his team when Dahlin's average TOI is just 3 minutes less than Ristolainen's. Scandella 4 minutes less average TOI.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...am.7&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=plusMinus&

....you're using +/- while ignoring matchups and how all those extra minutes wear you out throughout the season. Also those extra 3-4 minutes aren't nothing especially when the minutes are already high.

You don't see a tired UFC fighter who's not experienced or conditioned enough to do 5 rounds efficiently go "oh well its just one more 5 minute round that's nothing"

Ristolainen would be the best D-man on the team I don't know why you're pretending like he wouldn't be.

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
Why Koskinen should decline if / when he's healthy?
What do you scared on Koskinen's participation in world championships.
You are right. But i dislike him.
Of Course he is good enough for a wc.
My hope was to see Rinne Or saros if i Go to slovakia.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
So Risto decided to have a 6 months break this year. He really must dislike hockey. Just a necessary evil for him.

Well to be fair he seems really frustrated. That seem rather genuine opening up. No reason to come if he don´t see anything positive out of it. (freely translated) "It´s been months since I play good and nobody remembers that anymore". Maybe the critisism of him not representing NT (and other) has hit a nerve. And to be honest if he would have bad tournament he would easily become the "villain" in eyes of many.

I understand his decision this time.

Reactions: The Burning GOAT

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Well to be fair he seems really frustrated. That seem rather genuine opening up. No reason to come if he don´t see anything positive out of it. (freely translated) "It´s been months since I play good and nobody remembers that anymore". Maybe the critisism of him not representing NT (and other) has hit a nerve. And to be honest if he would have bad tournament he would easily become the "villain" in eyes of many.

I understand his decision this time.

I understand that no one has to play for the national team if they are not interested. But im going to be honest i am very disappointed a millionare says no for so many times for different reasons. He could have taken three week holiday before the WHC and still would have been our best defender but that's not good for him.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
One more round of games to go for each team in the NHL but if the playoffs started today:

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Dallas vs Nashville should bring in some players for our WHC squad. Although some players like Tolvanen or Hintz could be AHL bound if their team would lose the series. I am not sure how their AHL affiliates are doing at the moment.

as far as Tolvanen goes, Milwaukee is pushing for the playoffs and it looks like they're gonna make it with 3 games left to play and 2 points up on both Iowa and Manitoba. Even if Milwaukee goes out early, which is very likely, I doubt he'd play in any playoff games for Nashville this playoffs unless there's a ton of injuries. Laviolette would probably rather play players who are more NHL ready like Pitlick or players with more experience and/or grit than him like McLeod, Rinaldo, Grimaldi, Salomaki, Gaudreau and likely the Admirals "Black Aces" like Di Giuseppe, Blackwell, Dauphin or Richard.

And no, this wouldn't mean that he's worse than all of them, just that he isn't ready for the NHL yet.

I would very much like to see him play for Team Finland this year and try to add another gold medal to his resume again.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
^
Ty for the update on Tolvanen.

Ristolainen would be the best D-man on the team I don't know why you're pretending like he wouldn't be.

Depends who are on the team. I know some here disagree but I would rather have some like Määttä, Nutivaara or Vatanen in my team if they were available.

I see Lindell as the best Finnish defender at the moment. He has some similarities to Ristolainen with his physique and frame, but Lindell is so much better. Heiskanen to me is the second best currently and probably the best in the future and a future Norris trophy nominee, he might even win it. Got to hope we get Heiskanen at least if Nashville does what they are supposed to do to Dallas (Nashville being the favorite of that series).

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Some other Teams have some nhl Players added.

Nothing new from the finnish one?
Barkov is apparently coming, if he gets a green light from the club. Borgström has also expressed interest. Kotkaniemi revealed during his exit interview that he's been invited but is taking some time off to decide. He's tired after a full season in the big league. (I think it's a valid excuse, the vibe I got is that his head's saying yes but body is saying no or "not yet". He essentially went from U18/Liiga player straight to a full-time NHLer, which is a massive leap in physical demands.) They say that Vatanen and Koskinen have also received invites, responses pending.

Last edited:
Reactions: king89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad