WC: Team Finland 2019 men's World Championships roster talk

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hintz goes C on international stage
That depends wholly on what our centre situation is. For example, if we have him and Barkov, Kotkaniemi, Borgström, and an euro reliable or two, Hintz will be the first to go on wing.

And he might find himself from wing even in a leaner centre situation, if we are hurting for quality wingers too.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I would put Hintz to C over Borgström
I wouldn't, if putting him on wing is the only way to insert him into the top-six. And even less so if the motivation is to shoehorn Kakko into the top unit. I want to see him in the team as much as the next guy, but let's not kid ourselves and think the kid will take preference over established, scoring unit NHLers. If it's him and a bunch of grinders, then sure.

But let's first wait and see who's available before we start arguing about who goes where, shall we?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I wouldn't, if putting him on wing is the only way to insert him into the top-six. And even less so if the motivation is to shoehorn Kakko into the top unit. I want to see him in the team as much as the next guy, but let's not kid ourselves and think the kid will take preference over established, scoring unit NHLers. If it's him and a bunch of grinders, then sure.

But let's first wait and see who's available before we start arguing about who goes where, shall we?
Kakko-Barkov-Lehkonen
Armia-Kotkaniemi-Hintz (Kotkaniemi can be changed around, whatever works)
Someone-Borgström-Someone
Anttila & Company

How's that then?

And if Hintz is at C then

Kakko-Barkov-Borgström
Armia-Hintz-Lehkonen
Someone-Kotkaniemi-Someone
etc

This team is gonna be full of these swiss army knife players who can be put anywhere. Building the roster will be easy.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Kakko-Barkov-Lehkonen
Armia-Kotkaniemi-Hintz (Kotkaniemi can be changed around, whatever works)
Someone-Borgström-Someone
Anttila & Company
Lehkonen and Armia likely won't join, since both will be out of contracts. As will, in fact, be most of our NHL wingers. Only quality winger who looks probable to join if available is TT. In that kind of situation a guy like Hintz will be a godsend to pad the top line.

If we get two established NHLers with top-unit experience who can play wing, they will at least start the tournament as Barkov's wingers. In fact, even if we get only one, and that one is Teuvo, Kakko probably won't be on the other side, because he's too similar in profile to TT. The reason I'm offering Hintz is because he fits nicely that big, scoring power forward profile. Kakko can then be the skill guy in the second line.

But like I said, way too early to speculate with this stuff, since the only top-shelf player we can presently pencil in with somewhat reliable odds is Barkov. In the meanwhile, feel free to play with your shiny new toy.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Lehkonen and Armia likely won't join, since both will be out of contracts. As will, in fact, be most of our NHL wingers. Only quality winger who looks probable to join if available is TT. In that kind of situation a guy like Hintz will be a godsend to pad the top line.

If we get two established NHLers with top-unit experience who can play wing, they will at least start the tournament as Barkov's wingers. In fact, even if we get only one, and that one is Teuvo, Kakko probably won't be on the other side, because he's too similar in profile to TT. The reason I'm offering Hintz is because he fits nicely that big, scoring power forward profile. Kakko can then be the skill guy in the second line.

But like I said, way too early to speculate with this stuff, since the only top-shelf player we can presently pencil in with somewhat reliable odds is Barkov. In the meanwhile, feel free to play with your shiny new toy.
They're not the level of players who need to skip WHC because of contract talks.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
They're not the level of players who need to skip WHC because of contract talks.
Both are established NHLers looking for a raise - and while neither probably won't get a multi-year, multi-million contract, they will still be looking at a greatly diminished bottom line if they enter the talks injured.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Both are established NHLers looking for a raise - and while neither probably won't get a multi-year, multi-million contract, they will still be looking at a greatly diminished bottom line if they enter the talks injured.
We'll see, I suppose

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Which players from Europe do you guys think will make the roster, beside Kakko.

Hartikainen should be one. Based on what I'm reading in sport news he's an absolute beast at the moment and he is leading the KHL playoffs in points. I believe it is 14 games played and 18 points done (7 goals) if I can recall.

We already know that he is good in a bottom role or any winger role really so would be nice if he stays healthy and isn't too tired after those KHL playoffs.

Last edited:

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Im secretly hoping that Stars and/or Blue Jackets get bounced in the 1st round so we may get either Heiskanen&Lindell or Nutivaara at least. Otherwise that LD might look very bad...

What are our other options?

Välimäki (if not on PO roster)
Vaakanainen (if not on PO roster)
Ohtamaa?
Lepistö?
Jokipakka?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Im secretly hoping that Stars and/or Blue Jackets get bounced in the 1st round so we may get either Heiskanen&Lindell or Nutivaara at least. Otherwise that LD might look very bad...

What are our other options?
Lindell doesn't have a contract. So that leaves Heiskanen and Nutivaara as potentials.

From Europe: Mikko Lehtonen, Jesse Virtanen, Ohtamaa, Miika Koivisto, Teemu Eronen, maybe Lepistö. I wouldn't say no to an NHLer or two, but in a pinch, the first three out of this list would do nicely. And Leppä of course, if willing.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
How about Honka? Kivihalme Hakanpää. How is our D going to look?
It's a bit early to say how it's gonna look, but not due to lack of options. Overall, I'd call it the area of least concern. I'm fairly confident we'll get at least a couple of NHLers, since the contract situation is pretty good, and a fair number of our top-shelf guys should be out of their day jobs by the time the games begin. Of the names of any worth, Lindell and Honka are the only ones who got negotiations coming up, and Honka's situation is of the kind that he might be looking to raise his stock despite that. It's pretty safe to say he has no future with the Stars.

Those that are available starting next week are Ristolainen (yeah, his history of declinations doesn't make him a probable candidate, but we'll see), Vatanen and Jokiharju (though he has a slight chance to carry on in the AHL). Of the teams that are in, Heiskanen and Nutivaara may exit early. And if Winnipeg doesn't go far (they've been looking a bit shaky lately), Niku is an option also, since the Jets management didn't add him to the Moose's roster on the deadline, and thus he can't be sent down.

In the post above I covered the primary options from Europe who are lefties. I guess we could add Kivihalme to the list of potentials as well, while I wouldn't rank him among the first choices. Euro righties, well, there's Kaski, Hakanpää, Hietanen and Pokka (as groanworthy as some of you might find him).

Bottom line - from Europe alone we have a selection of ten to 12 names I'd call at least serviceable. And from NA, well, I don't expect we get everybody who's out of the playoffs - whoever they might be - but at this stage, I wouldn't draw a hard X over any name except Lindell.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kakko-Barkov-Leskinen
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-????
MaGranlund-Borgström-Armia
Osala-Lammikko-MaAnttila

Kupari
Heponiemi

Lepistö-Ristolainen
Vatanen-Hakanpää
Ohtamaa-Kaski

Jokiharju
Kivihalme
(Virtanen)

Reactions: Lambo

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Kakko-Barkov-Leskinen
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-????
MaGranlund-Borgström-Armia
Osala-Lammikko-MaAnttila

Kupari
Heponiemi

Lepistö-Ristolainen
Vatanen-Hakanpää
Ohtamaa-Kaski

Jokiharju
Kivihalme
(Virtanen)

Lehkonen, Armia, Lammikko and Ma Granlund
won't be available for men's worlds this spring due to contract negotiations.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

Yes, they better line up politely and accept whatever sentence (pay) they'll be given! Could a line with Barkov and Kakko lure Arty Leak to Bratislava anyway? A line to Czech Out!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

All 4 are the type of players whose contracts could be signed very soon after the season. It's easier to sign extensions with lower profile players. There's a few Finns who've done exactly that, sign a new contract after season has ended in regular season and played at the Worlds.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
One more round of games to go for each team in the NHL but if the playoffs started today:

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Dallas vs Nashville should bring in some players for our WHC squad. Although some players like Tolvanen or Hintz could be AHL bound if their team would lose the series. I am not sure how their AHL affiliates are doing at the moment.

Then there is Carolina vs Washington. Carolina is capable of surprising anyone but they should be the big underdogs here against the champs.

Those are probably the most interesting series regarding our WHC team if the matchups are still the same after one more round of games.

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
What is about the Goalies?

I Hope they will wait long if Nashville goalies will be ready

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad