Team Finland @ 2014 WJC

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I think Jan Lundell may have previously unknown talents in the field of goalie coaching. He got Ortio back on track and it is looking good with Husso as well. If Husso keeps this up, he will get drafted next summer.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lunkka definitely should have more than enough knowledge on what the most common practical issues are concerning modern goalie play. He might have been a mediocre netminder, but if he can approach his own faults analytically, he can actually make one heck of a coach.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Lineup in Four Nations Cup

Juvonen
Husso

Mäenalainen-Teräväinen(C)-Lehkonen(A)
Nikko-Mustonen-J.Ikonen
Haapala-Kinnunen-T.Nättinen
Rutanen-Rauhala-Kulmala

Lindell-Lehtonen(A)
Parikka-Vainio
Saari-Mäkinen
Tikkinen-Vilmavirta

Can anyone help?
Any one have stats on how Teuvo scored in 4 nations tourney?

Also, where can I buy a Teravainen Finland #19 Jersey???

thx

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
stats

Anyone who knows how the point production for this players have been in the Ajr-liiga?

Aleksi saarela
Jesse puljujärvi
Mikko rantanen
Sebastian aho
Julius nättinen

Anyone who knows?

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Take a look at the thread from last year about Sens not letting him go. You might be surprised how many had that view.

I cant believe i'm having this conversation so i'll end it.

My point was that Ristolainen playing in AHL does not guarantee that he will join team Finland in WJC.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
My point was that Ristolainen playing in AHL does not guarantee that he will join team Finland in WJC.
This. The chance got better than what it would have been with the Sabres, but it's far from done deal.

As a side note, another thing that might make him skip this tournament is if he somehow gets picked to Sochi. Not likely to happen methinks, but if it were to pass, he would very likely sit this one out.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
This. The chance got better than what it would have been with the Sabres, but it's far from done deal.

As a side note, another thing that might make him skip this tournament is if he somehow gets picked to Sochi. Not likely to happen methinks, but if it were to pass, he would very likely sit this one out.

Did i miss something? "Get picked to Sochi" - before the WJC? Ehh..

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Did i miss something? "Get picked to Sochi" - before the WJC? Ehh..
Yes you did.

Yes, the WJC is played well before Sochi, so timewise a player could easily play in both. But given the seasonal calendar, all the travel and extra games, it could be sensible to ask if they wish to saddle a player with additional workload if they need him to be on his best come olympic time. Especially when Ristolainen has nothing left to prove on U20 level.

I think it's a pretty hypothetical situation because RR is probably not going to make it to Sochi, but if the crazy thing happens and Erkka tells Kivi that he wants the kid there, then Kivi will say "okay, won't pick him then" - even if he was available.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
But they haven't even decided by then who they will pick...?
If the WJC team is named a day or two before Xmas and the olympic team two weeks after that on Jan 8th, I'd say Erkka is probably starting to have a very solid grasp already if he wants to use him or not.

Or were thinking the olympic squad will be picked just before the games? Nope, it's Jan 8th, and after that only reason to switch players is injury or other declination.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Mäenalanen - Teräväinen - Lehkonen was our 1st line at the latest U20 4 nations tournament. I guess there's a pretty good chance it'll be our 1st line also at the WJC's.

Henri Ikonen is having a very good season in the OHL and Aleksi Mustonen seems to be one of Kivi's favorites, so these two could very easily be 2nd liners at the WJC's. The biggest question might be; who's going the be the 3rd wheel on that line? Kasperi Kapanen seems to be struggling a bit at the moment, so is Juuso Ikonen the best option or will Kivi go with a surprise selection?

Saku Salminen and Ville Leskinen haven't played for a while due to injuries. Not sure about their recovery schedules, but if they don't return soon we can probably rule them out as candidates. Saku Kinnunen, Henrik Haapala, Joni Nikko, Topi Nättinen, Aleksi Rutanen and Otto Rauhala seem like the likeliest candidates for 3rd and 4th line at the moment.

Ville Pokka has the best +/- stat in 1üga so far this season; +19. He's probably going to be our go-to-guy at D, that's if Buffalo doesn't release Ristolainen. Mikko Vainonen, Mikko Lehtonen and Esa Lindell seem like almost certain additions to the line-up as well.

Valtteri Parikka is doing a pretty good job for Ässät, he could be a good fit as a 3rd pairing guy. Another D who seems to be quietly improving his standing is Atte Mäkinen, he could also be a decent alternative as a 3rd pairing guy. Julius Honka is having a productive season in the WHL, but he didn't have the best showing at Lake Placid in August, so it's hard to predict what Kivi really thinks about him. Niklas Tikkinen, Juuso Vainio and Santeri Saari should still be in the mix as well, so the composition of our defensive crop is probably the most difficult to predict.

Barring injuries, our goaltending seems obvious. It's going to be Saros, Husso and Juvonen.

My latest lottery:
Mäenalanen-Teräväinen-Lehkonen
H.Ikonen-Mustonen-J.Ikonen/Kapanen
Nikko - Kinnunen - Haapala
Rutanen - Rauhala - Nättinen

Vainonen - Pokka
Lindell - Lehtonen
Parikka - Mäkinen/Vainio/Honka
Tikkinen/Saari

Saros
Husso
Juvonen

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Mäenalanen, Mustonen?? Who are these never heard guys? Yes, I have heardly heard of them.

And meanwhile you are still seeing J.Ikonen as a fringe top6 player of that team. Has Ikonen's development stagnated? What's the problem with this kid? No defense? Too fancy and neat? Struggling? He got an assist tonight, I think. Doesn't sound like struggling. He is a legit offensive liiga-player - but he is "struggling"?

I dunno what to say.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
We can't have half of the forwards under 180cm.

I'd rather have Rantanen(192cm),Antonen(188cm) or even Hintz(190cm) there over some of these midgets. Getting Salminen and Leskinen back in time would be great

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Mäenalanen, Mustonen?? Who are these never heard guys? Yes, I have heardly heard of them.

And meanwhile you are still seeing J.Ikonen as a fringe top6 player of that team. Has Ikonen's development stagnated? What's the problem with this kid? No defense? Too fancy and neat? Struggling? He got an assist tonight, I think. Doesn't sound like struggling. He is a legit offensive liiga-player - but he is "struggling"?

I dunno what to say.
I wrote that Kapanen is struggling a bit at the moment, which is more than true. J.Ikonen has skill and can be a fairly productive player in the right conditions. He might be the likeliest candidate for 2nd line RW at the moment.

Mäenalanen is a tall, hard working winger with good wheels. Should have enough skill to be a 3rd wheel for Teräväinen and Lehkonen. Hasn't played in a big role in 1üga yet, partly beacuse Kärpät has a strong roster this season, but he's point per game in Mestis.

Mustonen is smallish and doesn't have elite skill level, but overall he's a useful centre forward in all situations. Might not show up on the scoring sheet that much, but works for the team every shift. Last season he was briefly K-Vantaa's captain in Mestis, tells something about his character.

We can't have half of the forwards under 180cm.

I'd rather have Rantanen(192cm),Antonen(188cm) or even Hintz(190cm) there over some of these midgets. Getting Salminen and Leskinen back in time would be great
Antonen has skill, but his game lacks effort and intensity, and he doesn't use his size that well. In addition his season in Mestis has been really weak. Barring injuries, there should be better alternatives available than him.

Hintz isn't ready to play at the WJC's, he needs another season of development at least. I think Rantanen is the best option from these three, but he probably wouldn't be more than a filler player at this point of his career.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
We're pretty much gonna be a one line team again.

Lehkonen - Teravainen - Kapanen would be a stacked line, although personally I'd want Kapanen on his own line, and do Lehkonen - Teravainen - J. Ikonen or something. But these guys, Lehkonen, Teravainen, and Kapanen are all gonna have to have great tournaments if Finland wants a chance at a medal. That and Saros or Husso will have to stand on their heads throughout the tournament. Could be a dark-horse, but our top guys HAVE to play like our top guys.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011

Lehkonen - Teravainen - Kapanen would be a stacked line, although personally I'd want Kapanen on his own line, and do Lehkonen - Teravainen - J. Ikonen or something. But these guys, Lehkonen, Teravainen, and Kapanen are all gonna have to have great tournaments if Finland wants a chance at a medal. That and Saros or Husso will have to stand on their heads throughout the tournament. Could be a dark-horse, but our top guys HAVE to play like our top guys.

Pretty much this. And Julius Honka should bring his offense to the WJC also. Then Finland might have a chance to a decent standing.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far

Lehkonen - Teravainen - Kapanen would be a stacked line, although personally I'd want Kapanen on his own line, and do Lehkonen - Teravainen - J. Ikonen or something. But these guys, Lehkonen, Teravainen, and Kapanen are all gonna have to have great tournaments if Finland wants a chance at a medal..

Kapanen has been weak in some of his games lately. He needs to improve his performance and be more consistent if he wants to impress at the WJC's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->