Team Finland @ 2014 WJC

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
So next year Raipe(not confirmed) is coaching again. And there has been some rumors that Valtonen is assistant coach. So basically this department sucks.

Our goalies look good with two returnees. Also guys like Saros and Husso are year older.

Defense is maybe the best finnish defense of all time. Four returnees including two first rounders: Määttä and Ristolainen(imo lock to first round). Vainonen, Lindell, Tikkinen, Lehtonen, Saari and Mäkinen are candidates for the team.

Four players will return: potential first line and fourth line center. This time Haapala, H.Ikonen and J.Ikonen will be on team. We lose some size in offense and we lack good centers.

List of the players who are candidates for the team:

G Joonas Korpisalo (-94)
G Janne Juvonen (-94)
G Juuse Saros (-95)
G Ville Husso (-95)
G Kaapo Kähkönen (-96)
G Kevin Lankinen (-95)

D Rasmus Ristolainen (-94)
D Olli Määttä (-94)
D Ville Pokka (-94)
D Juuso Vainio (-94)
D Mikko Vainonen (-94)
D Esa Lindell (-94)
D Niklas Tikkinen (-94)
D Mikko Lehtonen (-94)
D Alex Lintuniemi (-95)
D Santeri Saari (-94)
D Atte Mäkinen (-95)

F Aleksander Barkov (-95)
F Teuvo Teräväinen (-94)
F Artturi Lehkonen (-95)
F Saku Salminen (-94)
F Henri Ikonen (-94)
F Juuso Ikonen (-95)
F Henrik Haapala (-94)
F Rasmus Kulmala (-94)
F Mikko Rantanen (-96)
F Joonas Huovinen (-94)
F Jonatan Tanus (-95)
F Aleksi Mustonen (-95)
F Kasperi Kapanen (-96)
F Joose Antonen (-95)
F Samu Markkula (-94)
F Ville-Valtteri Leskinen (-94)
F Felix Westermarck (-95)
F Oskari Siiki (-95)
F Topi Nättinen (-94)

Returnees are bolded.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
So next year Raipe(not confirmed) is coaching again. And there has been some rumors that Valtonen is assistant coach. So basically this department sucks.

Our goalies look good with two returnees. Also guys like Saros and Husso are year older.

Defense is maybe the best finnish defense of all time. Four returnees including two first rounders: Määttä and Ristolainen(imo lock to first round). Vainonen, Lindell, Tikkinen, Lehtonen, Saari and Mäkinen are candidates for the team.

Four players will return: potential first line and fourth line center. This time Haapala, H.Ikonen and J.Ikonen will be on team. We lose some size in offense and we lack good centers.

List of the players who are candidates for the team:

G Joonas Korpisalo (-94)
G Janne Juvonen (-94)
G Juuse Saros (-95)
G Ville Husso (-95)
G Kaapo Kähkönen (-96)
G Kevin Lankinen (-95)

D Rasmus Ristolainen (-94)
D Olli Määttä (-94)
D Ville Pokka (-94)
D Juuso Vainio (-94)
D Mikko Vainonen (-94)
D Esa Lindell (-94)
D Niklas Tikkinen (-94)
D Mikko Lehtonen (-94)
D Alex Lintuniemi (-95)
D Santeri Saari (-94)
D Atte Mäkinen (-95)

F Aleksander Barkov (-95)
F Teuvo Teräväinen (-94)
F Artturi Lehkonen (-95)
F Saku Salminen (-94)
F Henri Ikonen (-94)
F Juuso Ikonen (-95)
F Henrik Haapala (-94)
F Rasmus Kulmala (-94)
F Mikko Rantanen (-96)
F Joonas Huovinen (-94)
F Jonatan Tanus (-95)
F Aleksi Mustonen (-95)
F Kasperi Kapanen (-96)
F Joose Antonen (-95)
F Samu Markkula (-94)
F Ville-Valtteri Leskinen (-94)
F Felix Westermarck (-95)
F Oskari Siiki (-95)
F Topi Nättinen (-94)

Returnees are bolded.

Even if everybody comes to play (Määttä / Barkov), that team sucks. I'll enjoy watching it play more than this years team

vanskillZ

Aug 11, 2011
I cannot be the only one who thinks that our junior system still needs to improve at every aspect. 94 class with its one drafted forward is a disgrace. The defense looks like best of all time, but that does not mean anything since the "best defense in decades" we had this year played beyond horrible.

Finland used to produce good skaters, but now when was the last time we had a guy with elite speed on the top 6 of these wjc teams? I guess the mighty Iiro Pakarinen is the only player i can think of in recent years. This year the swedes were better at every aspect of the game, and they didnt have their top 4 players. Where on earth does the depth dissappear when we have similar numbers of registered players?

Thank god in the next years championship the top 8 makes the playoffs so we wont be at the relegation round once again.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
94 class with its one drafted forward is a disgrace.
Kalle Torniainen was maybe even better than Teräväinen few years ago. He has played only 15 games in 2-year period cause of injuries. He has left a huge hole to Finnish offense prospects. Torniainen and Teräväinen were also great duo in national team.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Hopefully Korpisalo takes the next step and reaches the level that Ortio and Aittokallio had in their final year. Having a goalie of that calibre would naturally make a big difference.

Ristolainen, Määttä, Pokka, Lindell, Tikkinen, Vainio, Lehtonen and Vainonen seem like the early favorites for D. Would be an experienced group of guys if all are available.

Up front Teräväinen and Barkov are crucial, hopefully both are available. Most of the top 94- and 95-born forwards are small and lightweight, in the early going this looks problematic. Hopefully some new guys with power game potential emerge, would make for a more balanced roster.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hopefully Korpisalo takes the next step and reaches the level that Ortio and Aittokallio had in their final year. Having a goalie of that calibre would naturally make a big difference.

Ristolainen, Määttä, Pokka, Lindell, Tikkinen, Vainio, Lehtonen and Vainonen seem like the early favorites for D. Would be an experienced group of guys if all are available.

Up front Teräväinen and Barkov are crucial, hopefully both are available. Most of the top 94- and 95-born forwards are small and lightweight, in the early going this looks problematic. Hopefully some new guys with power game potential emerge, would make for a more balanced roster.

I'd rather not see Vainio in a team Finland jersey again... I'm almost positive he's related to Niiinimaa or Arto Ruotanen in some way.

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I'd rather not see Vainio in a team Finland jersey again.

It's true that he was outmatched from time to time. Perhaps he will look better after gaining more experience and adding some strength. Still a relatively young player.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Naturally this will look quite silly a year from now, but couldn't resist doing a first round of roster lottery; :)

Henrik Haapala - Aleksander Barkov - Artturi Lehkonen
Kasperi Kapanen - Teuvo Teräväinen - Juuso Ikonen
Henri Ikonen - Aleksi Mustonen - Jesse Paukku
Rasmus Kulmala - Saku Salminen - Aleksi Rutanen

Olli Määttä - Ville Pokka
Niklas Tikkinen - Rasmus Ristolainen
Esa Lindell - Juuso Vainio
Mikko Vainonen - Mikko Lehtonen

Joonas Korpisalo
Juuse Saros

Lack of size and muscle is obvious up front, but the options seem fairly limited at the moment. Hopefully that'll change. Kapanen might be the biggest question mark / wild card here, has top-6 skill but quite a lot needs to happen in a year for him to be ready for the WJC's.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Does Alex Lintuniemi have a chance? He has looked good in the few games with Kiekko-Vantaa and I guess there is a chance he could be a regular there and maybe even get call-ups to Jokerit in 13-14. There seem to be many -94 d-men looking to make team Finland so maybe it's too early for him?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Does Alex Lintuniemi have a chance?
Like with several other players; ít all depends on his development. At this point the 94-born D's are most likely ahead of him, but a year is a relatively long time. Some players improve more than others, and it's hard to predict injuries and such. In my opinion mobility and defensive reliability are some of the things that Lintuniemi needs to work on, as a bare minimum.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Haapala - Barkov - Lehkonen
Rantanen - Teräväinen - J. Ikonen
Tanus - H. Ikonen - Antonen
Kulmala - Salminen - Rutanen
Kapanen

Määttä - Ristolainen
Tikkinen - Pokka
Vainonen -Vainio
Lindell

Korpisalo
Saros

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
My lottery:

Haapala-Barkov-Tanus
J.Ikonen-Teräväinen-Lehkonen
Huovinen-Rantanen-Kapanen
H.Ikonen-Salminen-Mustonen

Määttä-Ristolainen
Vainonen-Tikkinen
Pokka-Lindell
Vainio-Lehtonen

Juvonen
Saros

Kapanen should be a lock. He is fastest player of that group and we really need speed.

Fin9*

J.Ikonen-Barkov-Haapala
Kapanen-Teräväinen-Lehkonen
H.Ikonen-Rantanen-Mustonen
Kulmala-Salminen-Rutanen
Huovinen

Määttä-Ristolainen
Lindell-Pokka
Tikkinen-Vainonen
Lehtonen

Korpisalo
Juvonen

Our forwards are going to be really small in this tournament now matter what.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
My lottery:

Haapala-Barkov-Tanus
J.Ikonen-Teräväinen-Lehkonen
Huovinen-Rantanen-Kapanen
H.Ikonen-Salminen-Mustonen

Määttä-Ristolainen
Vainonen-Tikkinen
Pokka-Lindell
Vainio-Lehtonen

Juvonen
Saros

Kapanen should be a lock. He is fastest player of that group and we really need speed.

Kapanen is a swift skater, but he's still far from being a well-rounded player. Today's CAN-USA semi-final is a good example of how high the level of play can be at the WJC's, it requires a lot from a player. Hopefully Kapanen develops well during the next 12 months and fills most of those requirements.

Rantanen is a wing by the way. At the moment I’d say that Kapanen has a better chance of making the team than him.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Kapanen is a swift skater, but he's still far from being a well-rounded player. Today's CAN-USA semi-final is a good example of how high the level of play can be at the WJC's, it requires a lot from a player. Hopefully Kapanen develops well during the next 12 months and fills most of those requirements.

Rantanen is a wing by the way. At the moment I’d say that Kapanen has a better chance of making the team than him.

I agree but i thought i saw Rantanen playing C in u17?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I agree but i thought i saw Rantanen playing C in u17?

I have never seen Rantanen play C, and that applies to the recent WU17 Hockey Challenge as well. Line-ups from the game against Pacific, and from what I saw that 2nd line stayed the same throughout the tournament.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
To repeat my musings from earlier:

Korpisalo/Juvonen/we'll see

Määttä - Ristolainen
Lindell - Pokka
Vainonen - Vainio
Tikkinen

H.Ikonen - Barkov - Haapala (to simulate the Tappara line)
Lehkonen - Teräväinen - J.Ikonen
Bottom six: Crapshoot at this stage. Saku Salminen should be a returnee, but other than that, too early to call.

Defense still looks good. Will be a year more mature. Hopefully Vainio and Lindell have gone forward to gain more stead in their step. Same for possible returning goalies. In forwards we take a step back - even more if NA leagues decide to grab some of the top prospects. Let's hope not.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
A team theme for next year: They're taking the Hobbits to Rosengård

What do you think?

In honor of our top guys size: Ikonen, Haapala, even TT

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
It all comes to the coaching. If we can get (or the management gets their heads out of their *****) a coach who can get this team to play solid hockey we can win the whole tournament.

This 92-95 age group is one of the best age groups we've had in ages. Coaching on the other hand has been the poorest in ages. Doesnt do justice to our fine prospects.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Team Finland roster for the Five Nations Tournament in Czech Republic as per leijonat.fi:

Forwards:
Nico Friman, HIFK
Henrik Haapala, Tappara
Rasmus Kulmala, TPS
Ville Leskinen, Kärpät
Jasper Lindsten, TPS
Samu Markkula, JYP
Joona Monto, HPK
Saku Mäenalanen, Kärpät
Lassi Niemanmaa, Tappara
Joni Nikko, Lukko
Oskari Siiki, TPS
Teuvo Teräväinen, Jokerit
Mikko Virtanen, KooKoo

Defensemen:

Esa Lindell, Jokerit
Ville Pokka, Kärpät
Mikko Lehtonen, TPS
Juuso Vainio, HPK
Valtteri Parikka, KalPa
Victor Westermarck, Blues
Joonas Lyytinen, KalPa

Goalies:

Joonas Korpisalo, Jokerit
Oskari Setänen, Lukko

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
Petteri Sihvonen says in todays Urheilulehti that Raimo Summanen will be Finlands next u20 team coach he has offered himself to Kummola and will do it at Voluntary work if Kummola chooses him :amazed:
Hopefuly thats true!!!:handclap:

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Petteri Sihvonen says in todays Urheilulehti that Raimo Summanen will be Finlands next u20 team coach he has offered himself to Kummola and will do it at Voluntary work if Kummola chooses him :amazed:
Hopefuly thats true!!!:handclap:
Awesome news, hopefully has some truth to it. Too bad we wont have the excuse of bad coaching if things go south :laugh:

I really wish the U20 coahing spot wasn't just something that's tossed around. Even though Summanen is about the best quality coach for a U20 squad, it's not as good as having a young and ambitious coach signed long term, with a solid vision on how to improve u20 NT hockey (Marjamäki I'm talking to you)

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Awesome news, hopefully has some truth to it. Too bad we wont have the excuse of bad coaching if things go south :laugh:

I really wish the U20 coahing spot wasn't just something that's tossed around. Even though Summanen is about the best quality coach for a U20 squad, it's not as good as having a young and ambitious coach signed long term, with a solid vision on how to improve u20 NT hockey (Marjamäki I'm talking to you)

Summanen's a great coach, but I don't know if he and Kale are even speaking to each other right now (yeah, I'm referring to the pot scandal). If they're not, there's no way he'll get the job even if he'd do it for free. Nice to see that Summanen cares about the Young Lions though.

nonoob12

Jun 16, 2012
Summanen's a great coach, but I don't know if he and Kale are even speaking to each other right now (yeah, I'm referring to the pot scandal). If they're not, there's no way he'll get the job even if he'd do it for free. Nice to see that Summanen cares about the Young Lions though.

i really think that they have talked this is what UL says: (finnish)

Summanen ottanee ensi kaudella valmentaakseen Nuoret Leijonat,jonka palvelukseen hän on ilmoittautunut ja tarjoutunut Suomenjääkiekkoliiton puheenjohtajalle Kalervo Kummolalle.
Taloudellisten miljoonattarjousten sijaan Summanen on valmis ensi kaudella valmentamaan talkoilla Nuoria Leijonia.Jääkiekkoliitolla on käsissään oikea kultakimpale,kun liiton toiseksi tärkeimpään valmennus tehtävään on tarjoutunut yksi maailman parhaista jääkiekkovalmentajista.

sry english readers im too lazy to translate that.:(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad