Team Finland @ 2013 World Championships

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Finals ended. Hoping to see armia,savinainen,koskiranta,nieminen and raanta with the national team now.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Finals ended. Hoping to see armia,savinainen,koskiranta,nieminen and raanta with the national team now.
Realistically... Savinainen, Raanta, they're in. Nieminen, Koskiranta, maybe. Armia... is the one we all would like, but know it's not gonna happen.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Nieminen-Koskiranta-Savinainen is fourth line what I like to see in WC.

Tuukka Mäntylä and Raanta should be in team too.
And Mäntylä paired up with Jyri Marttinen. He was just a beast during these playoffs.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Pesonen-Hytönen-Aaltonen
Hagman-Wirtanen-Pihlström
Salminen-Viitaluoma-Jormakka
Sallinen-Lahti-Haataja
I know it's probably still quite far from the final lineup, but it is still kinda bizarre-looking one. It's practically four entirely similar lines: Wingers are potential top-six (or top-nine) players, all the centres are 4th-line guys.

EDIT: YLE puts the lines in slightly different order, and even if the above statement still stands, they DO make a bit more sense placed like that.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I know it's probably still quite far from the final lineup, but it is still kinda bizarre-looking one. It's practically four entirely similar lines: Wingers are potential top-six (or top-nine) players, all the centres are 4th-line guys.

I don't think Jalonen's figured out roles for all these players yet. I can't blame him, building the team has been very challenging this time around. We could see more line shuffling than normal even during the tournament if things don't click. Pesonen and Aaltonen play decently together, but other than that I can't say that any of the lines are working.

On to tonight's game: Can this team play any worse than they did in the 1st period? I hope not. That performance had better be the rock bottom, because otherwise this team will have difficulties beating even the hockey midgets. Absolutely brutal.

I'd like to cut at least Kousa and Lepistö (and Laakso based on his earlier performances), but unfortunately one of these so-called defensemen will have to stay.

The centers were for the most part invisible and rather unable to lead offensive efforts. I don't understand how in the world Viitaluoma was chosen as best player of the game. He was awful in the first two periods and only a little better in the third. The only positive was that he was good in the faceoffs.

Aside from Kontiola's line, I think the wingers will have to take charge of the offense. Players like Salminen and Aaltonen just may have the ability to do that. Good effort from Hagman tonight as well, but that guy seriously can't buy a damn goal.

Melart was bad tonight and captain Kukkonen was once again doing what he seems to do on a regular basis- watching the other team score from a front row seat. Melart needs another chance because we need someone like him when we play the big, physical teams, but I'm going to be at my wit's end if Melart, Lepistö, Kousa and Laakso all turn out to be more or less equally awful. We're not likely to get any reinforcements to the defense, so two of those four will have to stay regardless of their performance.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'd like to cut at least Kousa and Lepistö (and Laakso based on his earlier performances), but unfortunately one of these so-called defensemen will have to stay.
One option could be to add Tuukka Mäntylä, who was stellar over the finals. Then Jalonen could afford to cut both Kousa and Lepistö. But if one stays, it has to Lepistö. He at least runs hot and cold, Kousa was just overall useless.

The centers were for the most part invisible and rather unable to lead offensive efforts. I don't understand how in the world Viitaluoma was chosen as best player of the game. He was awful in the first two periods and only a little better in the third. The only positive was that he was good in the faceoffs.
Viitaluoma: excellent faceoff stats, solid two-way game. But he isn't really much of a playmaker, that much appears evident. I think Salminen complements him somewhat, but the other side could use someone with a bit of skill. Can't just figure for the life of me who that could be. Armia potentially, but he has nothing he could use to prove he can also do it in reality. Picking him would be something of a hail mary, and Jalonen doesn't do those. Not that many other coaches do either, though.

Aside from Kontiola's line, I think the wingers will have to take charge of the offense. Players like Salminen and Aaltonen just may have the ability to do that. Good effort from Hagman tonight as well, but that guy seriously can't buy a damn goal.
It was curious watching the 2-1 goal by Pesonen. Aaltonen robs the puck and feeds him. Hytönen, who was obviously stunting Kontiola, was nowhere to be seen.

Hagman is a player who can't do much alone, but shines when he has good linemates. Give him those, and you still might see plenty from him. This far, the guys he's played with have been more or less second-rate.

Melart was bad tonight and captain Kukkonen was once again doing what he seems to do on a regular basis- watching the other team score from a front row seat. Melart needs another chance because we need someone like him when we play the big, physical teams, but I'm going to be at my wit's end if Melart, Lepistö, Kousa and Laakso all turn out to be more or less equally awful. We're not likely to get any reinforcements to the defense, so two of those four will have to stay regardless of their performance.
Melart should get another shot, simply because he was really good against previous opposition. But those were not teams like the Czech Rep, so it might simply be that he isn't quite there to face the top opposition yet.

I'd still have him, but I think we need to see first if Laakso improves.

Last edited:

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Apparently Raanta, Savinainen, Mäntylä and Koskiranta are joining the team. So apparently Jalonen has no love for Ville Nieminen.

Armia, Pulkkinen & Teräväinen didn't even get a chance to show what they've got. This must be the most uninteresting Team Finland in a long time. Oh well, fortunately Russia and Canada are bringing their big guns - as always.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
According to Urheilusanomat, there will be no reinforcements from the NHL. Nobody's coming. Not even Rinne.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
So the lineup will be something like:

Pesonen-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Osala-Viitaluoma-Salminen
Hagman-Wirtanen-Pihlstöm
Savinainen-Koskiranta-Anttila

Hytönen,Haataja

Hietanen-Mäenpää
Lajunen-Lepistö
Jalasvaara-Väänänen
Kukkonen-Melart

Mäntylä

Raanta
Ortio
Engren

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I think they'll let Ortio and Raanta compete for the starter spot.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Nemo Nieminen should be on that team.

Sorry to say but that team looks like a joke but same was said for 1992 team but they overachieved as nobody expected nothing from them.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Apparently Raanta, Savinainen, Mäntylä and Koskiranta are joining the team. So apparently Jalonen has no love for Ville Nieminen.

Armia, Pulkkinen & Teräväinen didn't even get a chance to show what they've got. This must be the most uninteresting Team Finland in a long time. Oh well, fortunately Russia and Canada are bringing their big guns - as always.
Solid calls. Savinainen was called as a no-brainer for a while. Koskiranta is really no solution to the center issue, but at least adds more depth. Raanta - deserved it despite no earlier NT experience.

Mäntylä's addition means that two out of Lepistö, Lajunen, Kousa will be cut rather than just one. Kousa goes, and who else... worth anybody's guess, I suppose.

As for the apparent lack of love towards youngsters...

Armia got his chance to show his mettle in the finals. 0+0 there and 3+5 overall are not something that was a particularly strong showing. Yes, he does have a ton of potential, and most of us, yours truly included, would have loved to see him in based on that. But might as well face it, that's not how most pro coaches operate, Jalonen included.

Teräväinen is skilled, but raw. We saw even less from him than Armia which would have justified a call. Apart from the huge pile of potential, of course.

Which leaves us Pulkkinen. He was IMO showing signs of a guy who might have deserved a chance to show it on the camp. He had nothing worse on his name than what e.g. Sallinen and Haataja who still get to hang around the team. If we combine this and the 2011 shafting, Jalonen just has no love for him. Wonder why.

According to Urheilusanomat, there will be no reinforcements from the NHL. Nobody's coming. Not even Rinne.
Juha Hiitelä is making a shameless educated guess. If he's right, he can use it to gain some prestige. If he's wrong and one or two will show up, nobody will remind him of it.

Despite smelling the blatant opportunism, the odds are he's more right than wrong, though.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Lines and D pairings from this morning's skate (from Ilkka Palomäki on Twitter):

Salminen-Viitaluoma-Haataja
Pesonen-Hytönen-Aaltonen
Osala-Wirtanen-Hagman
Sallinen-Lahti-Anttila

Mäenpää-Hietanen
Lepistö-Kousa
Melart-Kukkonen
Laakso-Jalasvaara

Väänänen, Kontiola, Pihlström and Lajunen not playing tomorrow.

That Lepistö-Kousa pairing sounds like a trainwreck.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Korpikoski's coming if he passes the medical on Monday: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/mmkiekko/art-1288560816834.html

I'm very impressed by Ortio's development. He was a little shaky earlier this season with the NT, but lately he's been very stellar. Lots of positive things to say about him. Too bad Calgary doesn't seem to have much interest in him (it's rumored that he's saying with HIFK next season because they don't even have a spot for him in the AHL).

Hagman's still underwhelming. He should have no business in the top 6. He's had plenty of chances to get going during camp, but no.

Much better game today overall. The centers have still been rather invisible aside from Hytönen and the D still isn't convincing in our own end. What's worrying to me is that it's the finishers (Aaltonen, Salminen) who are now taking the spots of the playmakers. Who's going to finish?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
This will be the first time in about 30 years that I am seriously considering not watching the WC at all. There's nothing interesting in this weak team.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
We'd better hope the team doesn't end up in a single shootout in the tournament. Weird choices (underperformers Haataja and Hagman) and even worse attempts :facepalm:

Kousa, Laakso and Lepistö were still the worst defenders overall.

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
well there's 1 good thing about this year team. it simply can't disappoint people. we got so crappy team that expectations are none existent. so if they somehow manage to make it through group stage we can be happy! if not, nothing is lost. :sarcasm::yo::handclap::naughty:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm very impressed by Ortio's development. He was a little shaky earlier this season with the NT, but lately he's been very stellar. Lots of positive things to say about him. Too bad Calgary doesn't seem to have much interest in him (it's rumored that he's saying with HIFK next season because they don't even have a spot for him in the AHL).
Ortio looks exactly like someone's who's mostly played in teams that have had him face a lot of rubber - when the shots just keep coming and coming, he's stellar. But if there's a single lull in the game, it may lead to a mental lapse.

But yeah, there are IMO far worse goalies making the rounds in the NHL than him.

Hagman's still underwhelming. He should have no business in the top 6. He's had plenty of chances to get going during camp, but no.
That's why he currently isn't vying for top-six but for a lower-line energy player role. Even less so if Korpikoski shows up.

Of course, he appears to have some tough time to pull even that off. Pihlström and Osala are clearly better than him. It's a public secret that Savinainen's joining too. And now Marko Anttila appeared to be doing a lot better job at it than him.

Still, in case we need to patch up a hole in our top-six, Hagman should be more competent for that than the rest of them.

What's worrying to me is that it's the finishers (Aaltonen, Salminen) who are now taking the spots of the playmakers. Who's going to finish?
Same thing I've been wondering. Oh well, at least one line should be able to operate normally with Kontiola in. But that's not going to turn the whole squad around.

Kousa, Laakso and Lepistö were still the worst defenders overall.
I think Lepistö improved a little. Maybe just enough to punch himself a ticket.

Laakso also seemed to pick it up a bit. Not a lot, but a bit. And while Melart still looks manly, he's started to have some lapses as well. 95% super reliable, 5% hazard. That's the Aki Berg recipe.

This will be the first time in about 30 years that I am seriously considering not watching the WC at all. There's nothing interesting in this weak team.
Yeah, yeah. Once again... the squad is bound to be full of newcomers, some of them even relatively young.

In the good old days, when we couldn't get enough NHLers, guys like Erkka and Ara filled the team with old reliables guys, like Pärssinen, Kallio, Viuhkola and whatnot. And people constantly moaned that why can't the coach give some new faces a shot. Sure, they had a bunch go through the camp, but in the end reverted to the sauna buddy squad anyway.

Now we have probably something of a record number of first-timers slated to make it, and people still b**ch and moan that the team is looking "dull". Some f**kin' myopia.

Salminen, Osala, Melart, fresh goalies Ortio and Raanta, how Kontiola fares as #1 C... c'mon, there's plenty to see here.

Yes, the team is rather crappy on paper, but that doesn't mean one couldn't find many interesting things from it.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I really would've liked to have Nieminen in the team. Would've brought some color (and my personal interest) into the team...

So Ana-Det seems to be 1 of the playoff pairings. That would give us some chances to get either Filppula or Salami/S.Koivu/Lydman/Vatanen. I guess Vatanen would be the only realistic candidate though. Does anyone know how Anaheim's AHL farm team is doing incase Ana will lose to Det? Did they make into AHL playoffs?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Does anyone know how Anaheim's AHL farm team is doing incase Ana will lose to Det? Did they make into AHL playoffs?
theahl.com

It's not that hard.

That being said, yes, Norfolk is out. But the NHL playoff schedule, despite being TBD, is bound to take most games so far that I still wouldn't count on anyone.

Interestingly enough, AHL's first round games are best-of-five, and a sweep could release some players as early as 1st of May. Not that there's a lot of them who would interest the NT, but some perhaps.

goodoldhockeygame

Sep 29, 2011
yea i think too, there are some interesting players. but not like they would be big boost.

who are you thinkin of. härski, puustinen, pesonen..?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->