Team Discussion: General Practice/News Thread (MOD Post #1)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We are going to try out something a bit different here at the request of many of you.

We have many active posters here on HFNYR (which is a great thing). Often times news, updates, line combinations at practice, players/coaches comments get lost in the thick of things because we have so many active discussions. This is going to be a general discussion thread about practice and updates that aren't quite thread worthy themselves.

This thread will be nothing but news & discussion that stems from said news. This is NOT the place to vent your frustrations about Tanner Glass, John Moore, Glen Sather, or to make up proposals and speculate on potential Ranger moves. We have player discussion threads for those as well as a whole thread on nothing but proposals/speculation. If you cannot contain follow the rules you will be removed from the thread.

We realize there may be some redundancy here and there but we do not believe it will be an issue.

*Edit: On second thought, we will open this after the Pittsburgh game.

Last edited:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
@PLeonardNYDN: Rangers' schedule: Off today, practice Wednesday, fly to Vancouver Thursday, practice Friday in Van., game at Canucks on Saturday #NYR

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Duke going to the WJC.

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 1m1 minute ago
Anthony Duclair, The Duke of Broadway, will be going to World Juniors for Team Canada #NYR

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@NYRangers: Chris Kreider is on ice taking part in #NYR practice today..missed last game due to neck spasms”

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
“@NYRangers: Chris Kreider is on ice taking part in #NYR practice today..missed last game due to neck spasms”

No doubt Fast is coming out of the lineup. No way AV healthy scratches Tanner Glass. No way.....

At this point I don't know whether to :biglaugh: or :cry: . Fast has been playing his best hockey to date. It has only been a few games but IMO he looks like a completely different player (certainly not the same player from earlier this year and last year).

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Stempniak will probably sit for Kreider.

(not my logic, going by AV logic) lol

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
At this point I don't know whether to :biglaugh: or :cry: . Fast has been playing his best hockey to date. It has only been a few games but IMO he looks like a completely different player (certainly not the same player from earlier this year and last year).

He's the same player he's always been, he's just settling in. He had 14 games of NHL experience prior to this year. Not many guys will show you what they're really capable of in that short time frame of their NHL debut. Same for Miller--looks like a "new player," is really just the same guy, getting comfortable. Fast hadn't really been playing his game at the NHL level--the game we see at the AHL level. When a kid is successful in the AHL playing one way and comes up to the NHL, plays the same game, and isn't successful, that can be worrying. When a kid comes up to the NHL and isn't playing that same game, it's more than likely his struggles are because he just isn't comfortable. Now we're seeing Jesper do his thing in the NHL the way he was doing it in the AHL (and SEL, for that matter). I'm probably nitpicking, but I just want to reinforce to everyone my "don't be so hard on young players who don't immediately look NHL-ready" mantra. You know I like doing that. :laugh:

Anyway, yes, Fast should be in the lineup every night, the other guy obviously shouldn't be, but unfortunately the team hasn't yet gotten to the point where they're willing to acknowledge that. :shakehead

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
$73M cap is based on 88 cents. It closed in the low 87 cents range yesterday. Bettman told the BOG the projection was based the loonie staying at 88 cents. It's projected to decline into the mid to low 80 cents range in 2015. It's a huge issue for a league which draws 35% of their revenue from Canada.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He's the same player he's always been, he's just settling in. He had 14 games of NHL experience prior to this year. Not many guys will show you what they're really capable of in that short time frame of their NHL debut. Same for Miller--looks like a "new player," is really just the same guy, getting comfortable. Fast hadn't really been playing his game at the NHL level--the game we see at the AHL level. When a kid is successful in the AHL playing one way and comes up to the NHL, plays the same game, and isn't successful, that can be worrying. When a kid comes up to the NHL and isn't playing that same game, it's more than likely his struggles are because he just isn't comfortable. Now we're seeing Jesper do his thing in the NHL the way he was doing it in the AHL (and SEL, for that matter). I'm probably nitpicking, but I just want to reinforce to everyone my "don't be so hard on young players who don't immediately look NHL-ready" mantra. You know I like doing that. :laugh:

Anyway, yes, Fast should be in the lineup every night, the other guy obviously shouldn't be, but unfortunately the team hasn't yet gotten to the point where they're willing to acknowledge that. :shakehead

Fair enough. The difference between Miller and Fast is that Miller on multiple occasions has looked like he was getting comfortable only to follow it up with a string of extremely disappointing games on both sides of the puck. Miller has a long way to go.

Great article on the salary cap increasing next year and what it means for us...

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2014...y-cap-going-up-means-for-the-new-york-rangers

$73M cap is based on 88 cents. It closed in the low 87 cents range yesterday. Bettman told the BOG the projection was based the loonie staying at 88 cents. It's projected to decline into the mid to low 80 cents range in 2015. It's a huge issue for a league which draws 35% of their revenue from Canada.

The cap will not be going up much. I don't see anything that would stop the Canadian dollar from falling further. A low 80c range would be a DISASTER for us.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

I largely agree, if the Canadian dollar falls to closer to 80 cents, and it happens quicker than they are anticipating (which I think is plausible), that 73M cap is probably a pipe dream.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Next season's salary cap number is still very speculative, but NHL governors were told $71M at worst case and $75M at best case.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I was in agreement with the choice to keep Duclair up as long as they did (even though I thought he could have been deployed more often in the top lines during his stint), and coincidentally I am also in agreement with his being sent back for WJC duty. It actually looks like a win-win for the Rangers, and oh yeah, Team Canada too :)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Next season's salary cap number is still very speculative, but NHL governors were told $71M at worst case and $75M at best case.

This is such a load of BS. Although it isn't likely to drop below 71m if something major happened in Canada and the Canadian dollar fell drastically, it is possible to see it go below 70m. I will gladly eat a pile of crow from all 100,000+ members on HF of the cap goes to 75 million. It's a pipe dream.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is such a load of BS. Although it isn't likely to drop below 71m if something major happened in Canada and the Canadian dollar fell drastically, it is possible to see it go below 70m. I will gladly eat a pile of crow from all 100,000+ members on HF of the cap goes to 75 million. It's a pipe dream.

The other half of the Canadian TV deal $ will go into next years cap (players opted , so assuming there is no Canadian dollar growth/recovery, the minimum the cap will go up is $2M, which is a $71M cap... If the dollar closes at even .85¢, you're looking at a $71.5-72.5M cap.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
EuroFlair;94140963[B said:
]Is the Canadian dollar the only "real factor[/B]" regarding next years cap?

No it is not. It is a big piece of the pie though. As RB posted earlier, Canada accounts for 35% of the leagues revenue. Anytime there is uncertainty with 1/3rd of the revenue of your business it will have a significant impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad