Team defense (11-12 Comparison)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If we're lopping off the first 10 games because they're not predictive, then why don't we just compare our post-trading deadline stats to other teams post-trading deadline stats?

It's been done and the stats are very favorable. Something like 2nd in the league in goal differential.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
You know, I'm reading this thread and am reminded that just about every year I post something about the first 10 games of the season not meaning very much. Case in point, the 1992-93 (8-2) New York Rangers. There are many other examples. Heck if they gave out the Stanley Cup in October, San Jose would win it every year.

I think the analysis here is admirable. It illustrates what I have been saying since before many of you were born -- the first 10 games of the season are not predictive in how a team will perform over the 82 game season.

Fortunately, this year, that trend is working for us in a big way.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You know, I'm reading this thread and am reminded that just about every year I post something about the first 10 games of the season not meaning very much. Case in point, the 1992-93 (8-2) New York Rangers. There are many other examples. Heck if they gave out the Stanley Cup in October, San Jose would win it every year.

I think the analysis here is admirable. It illustrates what I have been saying since before many of you were born -- the first 10 games of the season are not predictive in how a team will perform over the 82 game season.

Fortunately, this year, that trend is working for us in a big way.

Well this year there's even less reason to put stock in the first 10 games. BTW, the only Rangers team that missed the playoffs post-lockout started 7-1.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The 11/12 team was out of gas before the playoff even started (and yes, I also think they overachieved), especially the defense. Torts system was too taxing. I know this: this team has a far better offense and a PP that is lightyears away from the past.

Overall, this team is the deepest since the lockout, no question about it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The 11/12 team was out of gas before the playoff even started (and yes, I also think they overachieved), especially the defense. Torts system was too taxing. I know this: this team has a far better offense and a PP that is lightyears away from the past.

Overall, this team is the deepest since the lockout, no question about it.

I think this team has the highest upside of any since the lockout (and really, since long before then). The defense and PK is rock solid, the goaltending is great as usual, and the offense and PP has the potential to be really good. Nash has been up and down, Richards has been inconsistent, St. Louis hasn't really found his groove, etc. and the team still managed to finish near the middle of the league offensively. If the offense starts firing on all cylinders, we're top ten pretty much across the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad