Datsyuk-Malkin-Kane
Kovalchuk-McDavid-St. Louis
Bergeron-Thornton-Iginla

Lidstrom-Doughty
Chara-Karlsson
Hedman-Keith

Price
Lundqvist

Who wins a 7 game series if the home team plays by the rules of their era? Flip a coin for home.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That Yzerman-Fedorov-Bure

and defensive core gives them the edge for me.

Funny the defense core is the main reason I voted for the post-lockout team. Lidstrom-Doughty = Pronger-Bourque (dead puck era Bourque not the 80s/early 90s prime version), Chara-Karlsson > Niedermayer-Chelios, and Hedman-Keith > Leetch-Blake.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Shanahan-Lindros-Jagr
Forsberg-Sakic-Naslund
Yzerman-Fedorov-Bure
Kariya-Modano-Selanne

Pronger-Bourque
Niedermayer-Chelios
Leetch-Blake

Hasek
Roy

Vs.

Ovechkin-Crosby-Kucherov
Datsyuk-Malkin-Kane
Kovalchuk-McDavid-St. Louis
Bergeron-Thornton-Iginla

Lidstrom-Doughty
Chara-Karlsson
Hedman-Keith

Price
Lundqvist

Who wins a 7 game series if the home team plays by the rules of their era? Flip a coin for home.

The dead puck era is missing Stevens. He was better than Niedermayer, Leetch, and Blake and has an argument against Pronger and Chelios.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Funny the defense core is the main reason I voted for the post-lockout team. Lidstrom-Doughty = Pronger-Bourque (dead puck era Bourque not the 80s/early 90s prime version), Chara-Karlsson > Niedermayer-Chelios, and Hedman-Keith > Leetch-Blake.

Yeah the added information now tilts in post-lockout favour for defence.

However, Dead puck era G>>>Post-lockout

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The Dead Puck Era only has 8 seasons to draw from....... post-lockout has 13. Not exactly fair.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
With the talent level this high, it's pretty much a coinflip.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Inclined to go post-lockout for skaters, but want to go DPE with goaltenders included (though I think some may overstate the impact difference between lund/price vs hasek/roy).

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The Dead Puck Era only has 8 seasons to draw from....... post-lockout has 13. Not exactly fair.

They are certainly not lacking in top end talent though. If I extended it to 5 seasons before we would have Lemieux and Gretzky on there then it wouldn't have even been a question.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Odd take. They were not that much better than the current guys.

yes they are. You are talking about the 2 best goaltenders in history...and to take it a step further, if you put 3 goalies on the DPE team you get the 3 best of all time (Brodeur).

Combined Hasek and Roy have:

10x 1st team
2x 2nd team
2x Hart
9x Vezina
6x Cups
3x Smythe

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
yes they are. You are talking about the 2 best goaltenders in history...and to take it a step further, if you put 3 goalies on the DPE team you get the 3 best of all time (Brodeur).

Combined Hasek and Roy have:

10x 1st team
2x 2nd team
2x Hart
9x Vezina
6x Cups
3x Smythe

More than likely one goalie would be playing the whole time though, you're overthinking it. My point is on the ice against each other there would not be much of a difference, this isn't their careers facing off against each other in a series. I think you forget that Price won a Vezina and Hart Trophy in the same season as well.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think post-lockout favors with the forwards, but the dead puck era wins with defense and goaltending. Went with dead puck era.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Bourque’s as good as anybody post lock out and Pronger in his prime is too (yes Pronger in his prime was better than Lidstrom).

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Really? I think it is being overrated in comparison to the opposing defense. I don't believe any pairing is better on the dead puck team.

More than likely one goalie would be playing the whole time though, you're overthinking it. My point is on the ice against each other there would not be much of a difference, this isn't their careers facing off against each other in a series. I think you forget that Price won a Vezina and Hart Trophy in the same season as well.

It doesn’t matter which one of Roy or Hasek play...they’re still significantly better than the post lockout options (hell so is Brodeur ).

I’m a huge Price fan...but to say he’s on Roy or Hasek’s level-or even close to it-is just inaccurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->