Hlavní trenér: Ivan Hlinka
Asistenti trenéra: Ondřej Weissmann, Radim Rulík

http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?lng=CZ&webid=0&debug=&akce=clanek&id=21542

Edit: Roster in pdf-file here (english)

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Good for Vasicek! He is one of the best players in the league that no one knows about. In a few years he will be on of the premiere shutdown centers in the league.

2 european league vets. Very interesting.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That's actually a nice looking team. Not sure about the health of several of the players, but they do have three months to get in game shape.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
glad to see zidlicky on there and I'm sure he will be fully recovered from his head injury he got during the red wings series. I was sort of hoping for erat also, but that's just the homer in me :D

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Wow. Bonk was left off the team in favour of Thomas Vlasak among others.

Solid team though. Kubina is going to be really important for that team, becuase Hamrlik aside, the rest of the defencemen that I expect to play at least, are all undersized or more or less soft- yes Tomas Kaberle I'm looking at you.

Golbez

Wow, well no thanks to idnes.cz for incorrect information :banghead: , but it's good to see Lang and Cecho will be available for the Czechs.

I'm also surprised that Vlasak was selected for the team at all, and Bonk would have made a superior choice in every respect. I know that Hlinka and Bonk don't have the best history...but Vlasak??? *blech*

The defense was exactly as expected, and this is a solid team.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Golbez said:
Wow, well no thanks to idnes.cz for incorrect information :banghead: , but it's good to see Lang and Cecho will be available for the Czechs.

Cheechoo? :teach:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Strong team.

But, is it just me or does this team not have many role players as the other countries? There are a couple capable defensive forwards / shutdown forwards, but compared to other countries it seems to be quite few

Golbez

Predatore said:
Strong team.

But, is it just me or does this team not have many role players as the other countries? There are a couple capable defensive forwards / shutdown forwards, but compared to other countries it seems to be quite few

The Czechs have never really dressed traditional 'role' players like Team Canada does.
Petr Cajanek is a hard-working defensive forward and Dvorak is a speedy forward who will kill penalties. Coach Hlinka will put his skilled players into defensive roles, and the Czechs rely on a good overall system. The Czechs are a patient counter-attack team, and don't go away from their system often, no matter what the score is.

ps; Cecho = Cechmanek.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
Predatore said:
Strong team.

Exactly, very good note. A lot of big names but as a team I have unbelief. Many offensive players but I lack more players who can play physically or who can be considered as checking/defensive forward. Where is Varada, Bonk, Erat, Bulis, Kuba, K. Rachunek, Fischer?
Too many heroes from Nagano on the roster...

Ironchef Chris Wok*

REICHEL???? C'mon.

God I hope Malik isn't int he pressbox when against Canada.

RoyIsALegend*

Uh... am I the only one who fails to see Petr Sykora's name on the roster?

What the...?

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where are Erat and Sykora?!!

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Predatore said:
Strong team.

In Dopita they have an excellent player at face-offs

Master Kush

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
I don't know why they keep skipping over Bonk in Int'l tournaments. He would be very good for the 3rd/4th line. Did hlinka forget that the important matches will be played on NHL sized rinks.

Nedved and Sykora are also questionable omissions, but it looks like Hlinka went with some youth. No, they don't neccessarily have any 'role' players, but they have a solid bunch of two-way players. IMO, the physical play is less present in int'l events.

here's my lineup (for games in NA):

Havlat - Lang - Jagr
Elias - Straka - Hejduk
Vasicek - Prospal - Rucinsky
Cajanek - Reichel - Dvorak

T. Kaberle - Hamrlik
Kubina - Zidlicky
Slegr - ?(any of the 3)

Vokoun

First 2 lines are a given, while the last two can be mixed and matched. We may see Dopita play on the big ice, but hopefully not when the games head to NA. The Czech's are weaker down the middle w/out Bonk and Nedved, but who knows what Hlinka is really thinking.

Vomiting Kermit*

I guess Nedved didn't want to go...? Or the people that picked the Czech team are idiots?

Nedved is definitely better than Dopita, Cajanek, Dvorak, Prospal, Reichel, Rucinsky, Straka, Vasicek, and Vyborny.

Petr is getting married this summer, so maybe that's why...? :dunno:

Anyway, glad to see Dvorak there. :handclap:

Last edited by a moderator:

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Can Nedved play for the Czechs after playing for Canada before?

Also, for those who bash Reichel, while he isn't the offensive player he once was, and is on the small side, he is good defensively and one of the better faceoff men in the NHL...every player has a role...not everyone is expected to score.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
balddog66 said:
Can Nedved play for the Czechs after playing for Canada before?

Also, for those who bash Reichel, while he isn't the offensive player he once was, and is on the small side, he is good defensively and one of the better faceoff men in the NHL...every player has a role...not everyone is expected to score.

Nedved is eligible.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
RoyIsALegend said:
Uh... am I the only one who fails to see Petr Sykora's name on the roster?

What the...?

They have a few players (Bonk, Nedved, and Sykora) that I thought would have been gimmes. I guess they didn't fit into the team concept. Imagine that, not naming star players just for the heck of it!

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if Nedved and Holik were eligible for the team? I noticed that neither were on the Salt Lake or Nagano teams, which leads me to believe that they aren't eligible to play for the Czech team. Of course those two were IIHF tournaments which may have different rules...:dunno:

MacDaddy TLC*

Nedved played nationally for Canada in 1994, so he couldn't represent Czech in an IIHF tourney, but this is an NHL/PA event. Bryan Trottier represented Canada and the USA in this tourney's predecessor, so I think he was just snubbed. The Bonk omission is a very intriguing one.

Hossa, did you see the poll on the Leafs board about an appropriate nickname for tomas Kaberle?

Choices were:
Cha cha Cha Charmin
Scotty's Little Softie
Cottonelle
Other (most votes for Kaberlady)

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad