WC: Team CZE - 2019

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Some quarterfinal upsets coming is my guess.... I'm thinking US takes out Russia and Swiss take put Canada. I think Sweden advances and I hope we do too!

Germany will be very tough. What makes me happiest is they will want to play a chess match against us. Low scoring and counter attack. We've already played 2 notoriously stingy teams in Sweden and Swiss and got 5 goals against each. Another stingy opponent is Latvia... I think we scored 7?

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Some quarterfinal upsets coming is my guess.... I'm thinking US takes out Russia and Swiss take put Canada. I think Sweden advances and I hope we do too!

Germany will be very tough. What makes me happiest is they will want to play a chess match against us. Low scoring and counter attack. We've already played 2 notoriously stingy teams in Sweden and Swiss and got 5 goals against each. Another stingy opponent is Latvia... I think we scored 7?

It was 6-3 against Latvia, but you are right, I feel like our group is so much better than A group and all teams in this group had more than appropriate preparation against each other and A group teams will surely miss that. I don't believe that USA can take out Russia though, I watched most of their games, tonight's including and it would require either massive underestimation from Russian side, like part of a game when USA can score like 4 goals before Russia tune it in, or huge leap forward in their game. USA look almost as lost as in game 1.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It was 6-3 against Latvia, but you are right, I feel like our group is so much better than A group and all teams in this group had more than appropriate preparation against each other and A group teams will surely miss that. I don't believe that USA can take out Russia though, I watched most of their games, tonight's including and it would require either massive underestimation from Russian side, like part of a game when USA can score like 4 goals before Russia tune it in, or huge leap forward in their game. USA look almost as lost as in game 1.

I feel like the US have a whole other gear that they haven't done yet... I mean, Kane/Eichel/Gaudreau can rival the Russian stars. Werensky is another one. Hanifin. Schneider is an excellent goalie. They are strong at every positions.

I make no argument against they sucked in pool play but I'm honestly not sure how serious the North Americans take Pool Play? I feel like they show up, maybe play an exhibition game and use the pool as their exhibition.

Before the tourney I thought them and Russia had the best 2 rosters... funny they meet each other.

If it's any consolation.. I can't stand USA Hockey. Probably my least favourite team in the big 5.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Not to underrate anyone, but if you are serious about medals, you got to dump Germany. Period

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
What? Why wouldn't Vrana play? Injured?

Coach isn't happy with his play. This is a really stupid time to be teaching any lessons to a player of his calibre!

And why play the Zohornas? I don't get it.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Stanley Cup champion and one of our best snipers on line 4.

First round pick and established NHL player in the pressbox.

34 year old journeyman who never came close to nhl or being a prominent scorer anywhere but extraliga on line 3.

Our number 1 backing up our number 2.

Pointless Zohornas still in the mix.

I'm telling you . There is some kind of stipulation that we must punish our NHL guys and promote our extraliga guys. It sounds crazy but this kind of shit happens every tournament and every level and is very much a Czech federation thing.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Coach isn't happy with his play. This is a really stupid time to be teaching any lessons to a player of his calibre!

And why play the Zohornas? I don't get it.
What exactly can riha teach him that the swedish and NHL coaches didn't?lol

He's the mad King!

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
So Riha will bench Vrana instead of Zohornas? Lol.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It is bad enough he sat Chytil, now he is going to sink another young player? Are Zohorna brothers blackmailing Riha or what kind of joke is this?
Can't wait for some more "we don't have any young players and snipers" remarks by coaches and media, we get those every year.

PS: I don't think even Riha is stupid enough to sit Vrana, I guess it's just a motivation thing. But I thought the same when he scratched Chytil and we all know how that turned out.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I think they want to have some very physical guys against Germany and that’s exactly what Zohornas are and Vrána is not.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think they want to have some very physical guys against Germany and that’s exactly what Zohornas are and Vrána is not.[/QUOTE

Yeah, let's get into a physical matchup and not use our considerably deeper roster to outscore them and control the game.

After our first lines... We are much more skilled.

Dump and Chase baby!

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
To be honest except that Sweden match he hasit looked that good, i’m convinced we should be good enough to beat Germany by several goals even without Vrana, who will be back for semifinals.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
To be honest except that Sweden match he hasit looked that good, i’m convinced we should be good enough to beat Germany by several goals even without Vrana, who will be back for semifinals.
Yeah Vrana wasn't good,
but still Vrana with average effort >both Zohorna bros together. What so special has Zohorna T. done, that he deserves place on the roster? I hate his stupid penalties and his shooting is worst of the team.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Yeah Vrana wasn't good,
but still Vrana with average effort >both Zohorna bros together. What so special has Zohorna T. done, that he deserves place on the roster? I hate his stupid penalties and his shooting is worst of the team.

You are right, but if we compare Vrana to Zohorna, can Vraná actually play in 4th checking line? I dont think so and according to Říha there is no place for him in top 9.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
You are right, but if we compare Vrana to Zohorna, can Vraná actually play in 4th checking line? I dont think so and according to Říha there is no place for him in top 9.
If someone needs to be replaced it's Gulas. In last match with SUI Gulas was totally lost. There were only Kubalik and Kovar in offensive zone in good and dangerous positions. And is 1st PP unit improved with Gulas (as Riha expected?), I'd say no.

Reactions: Czechboy

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
If someone needs to be replaced it's Gulas. In last match with SUI Gulas was totally lost. There were only Kubalik and Kovar in offensive zone in good and dangerous positions. And is 1st PP unit improved with Gulas (as Riha expected?), I'd say no.
Yeah, he should play PP only but he would not come if he wasn’t promised to have some role in the team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It is bad enough he sat Chytil, now he is going to sink another young player? Are Zohorna brothers blackmailing Riha or what kind of joke is this?
Can't wait for some more "we don't have any young players and snipers" remarks by coaches and media, we get those every year.

PS: I don't think even Riha is stupid enough to sit Vrana, I guess it's just a motivation thing. But I thought the same when he scratched Chytil and we all know how that turned out.

I think the only way a young guy can consistently make the team is this:

1. exempt themselves from the NHL draft (even if they are projected first rounders)
2. refuse to leave the Czech Republic
3. stay in the Extraliga till they are 40 years old

I've seen a lot of Czech NHL players come back after clearly being done and light up the extraliga:

Nedved, Rucinsky, Erat, Vyborny, Varada, Straka all came back from NHL and were immediately been some of the best players in the league.

What I haven't seen is any of our established Extraliga guys go the NHL and light it up. I can't think of one? Hertl was 18 when he left. Kaut went to AHL but also 18 year olds.

This notion that the Europeans are somehow better than the NHLers is maddeining. It's Jaromir Pytlik all over again.

Also, I keep hearing about bottom 6 and Top 6. That's fine if you're a nation with limited options (which we are most years) but we have depth and can't seem to get past the notion that bottom 6 block shots and dump and chase to survive. Why not a Top 9? Why not play to our strengths. In this case we have a deep team with young NHL stars.

Instead, we bench the stars.

I've hated the Gulas move since before it happened because it absolutely froze that third line. Don't like Vrana in Top 6 then he should go on line 3 with Kovar and Kubalik (both have been excellent). Don't like Chytil as 4C.. fine, put him on wing on third line BUT our third line is completely untouchable because of an extraliga connection.

I hope Pesan sees how stupid we look because we do get mocked a lot in North America for our bizzarre lineup situations.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm not only a Czech fanatic but I'm also a big Oiler's fan and we are also run horribly.

I've been thinking of a simple plan to fix us.

I think our new GM (Holland) should offer Tomas Zohorna and Milan Gulas NHL contracts. League minimum (650K), 1 way for a year.

Then he should trade Tomas Zohorna to the NYR for Filip Chytil.
He should also trade Milan Gulas to WAS for Jakub Vrana.

I'm sure the Rangers and Caps would gladly accept those trades.

I do wonder what goes through Vrana's head when he sees Jaskin getting better ice time? I wonder if it's 'why the f*** did I come here for this bullshit'? Nothing like pissing off your best players in an already shallow talent pool!

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Vrána has been nothing special, let's face it. He doesn't offer much besides goal-scoring, and it's not like he's scored a lot. Marek Sýkora is spot on in his assessment. I don't think it's down to bad luck and lack of opportunity that 5 years after being drafted, he still hasn't been able to establish himself as a Top 6 forward in the NHL. A decent finishing ability and excellent skating but he's clearly limited as a player. The Zohornas, as frustrating as they are, at least offer more consistent effort and physicality, important traits at the bottom 6.

On the other hand, I'd still prefer to see him on the PP rather than someone like Gulaš.

I hope Pesan sees how stupid we look because we do get mocked a lot in North America for our bizzarre lineup situations.

Franky, I couldn't care less what people in North America think about our lineups. They usually know total jack about players based in Europe and think that anyone in the NHL or even AHL is automatically better and a better fit than anyone from Europe.

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
What exactly can riha teach him that the swedish and NHL coaches didn't?lol

He's the mad King!
What exactly? 2nd line is invisible entire tourney. Vrana looks like he needs another 3 WHCs to understand what the leader role even means. Even his reaction to Sykora's critics is pure gold. "I dont know him, I dont judge him, I am experienced player"...He isnt. Riha doesnt have to teach him anything.He just doesnt play to his expactation. Thats all. Dont really know what Zohornas have to do with that at all. One is playing and he is center and, if Iam correct, also PK.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What exactly? 2nd line is invisible entire tourney. Vrana looks like he needs another 3 WHCs to understand what the leader role even means. Even his reaction to Sykora's critics is pure gold. "I dont know him, I dont judge him, I am experienced player"...He isnt. Riha doesnt have to teach him anything.He just doesnt play to his expactation. Thats all. Dont really know what Zohornas have to do with that at all. One is playing and he is center and, if Iam correct, also PK.

By invisible... do you mean 2nd in goals on the team?

upload_2019-5-22_11-51-14.png

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Franky, I couldn't care less what people in North America think about our lineups. They usually know total jack about players based in Europe and think that anyone in the NHL or even AHL is automatically better and a better fit than anyone from Europe.

Exactly I like CzechBoy’s posts but he is sometimes quite delusional, I agree our d-corps in Europe are really blank and even Ahlers are better and quicker, but if somebody is from NHL his status cannot buy him a place on team if he denies to work just as hard as the others, in that case I would gladly give it to some European player.

It’s like if you were Finn you would have been angry on Jalonen that he benched Marcus Granlund who is scrub in NHL for Kakko who played in Liiga.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Vrána has been nothing special, let's face it. He doesn't offer much besides goal-scoring

Exactly.. he's tied for second on the team with 4 goals. Goal scoring has been awful the last 10 years and now, all of a sudden, we have lead the tourney in goals with 39. This is the most NHL players we've had in 10 years and the most goals scored... do you think this is a coincidence?

2012 - 24 goals scored in group
2013 - 19 goals scored ... LOL :help:
2014 - 20
2015 - 27
2016 - 27
2017 - 23
2018 - 27
and this year 2019 - 39 goals scored :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad