Team China 2022

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
There hasn't been too much information about China's men's roster in the Olympics. I guess last years' VHL players are now training in China because of the covid-19 and the withdrawal of Chinese teams from VHL due to the pandemic.

Has China already changed their laws that they can ice a good amount of dual-citizens playing in Kunlun Red Star?

There was recently an article about the Olympic preparations on IIHF homepage:

The ice hockey team of BOCOG currently consists of 11 members from both China and abroad and will soon grow to 13 full-time positions. Among them are two former IIHF employees with former Sports Director Dave Fitzpatrick and former Asian Sport Development Manager Harald Springfeld, who both worked at the last Olympics in PyeongChang 2018 for the IIHF and the organizer respectively.

“China is fast paced, so is BOCOG and we have already reached the required status for venues and are in the middle of finalizing all of our workforce arrangements. The Ice Hockey Team and also all the other team members are really dedicated and work very hard to meet the standards and beyond,” said BOCOG Sport Advisor Harald Springfeld. “We are on a good way to make China proud and we also hope that with our preparation to conduct the event successful, safe and excellent, the ice sport and especially ice hockey development in China and Asia will experience a big boost.”

“We are working every day very hard to reach our goals and to meet the necessary IOC and IIHF standards,” said Sport Manager Duan Jufang. “Now we are working within the venues and are next to other functional areas. With this the preparation does get another push as we move towards our test activities in April and August/September.”

IIHF - One year until Beijing 2022

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
If they change their laws, there are couple of Na-based players available who already have also chinese citizenship:

Cory Kane
Lucas Lockhart
Brandon Yip
Victor Bartley
Zach Yuen
Brayden Jaw
Mikael Tam

Other players might be from their VHL-teams and mostly the team will be the same as in 2019 Division II tournament. China is going to get destroyed.

Reactions: Pardus

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Cliff Pu with born in China parents might be poached for team China.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
That would be impossible considering that the Olympics are next year.

they can't approach now and ask if he's willing to play for them? You know when it comes to what the Chinese does they will do whatever it can to make things happen type of nation you are aware of that right?

Reactions: SpencerR85

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
they can't approach now and ask if he's willing to play for them? You know when it comes to what the Chinese does they will do whatever it can to make things happen type of nation you are aware of that right?

No IIHF eligibility without at least two years in China.

Reactions: lawrence

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I posted this on other 2022 olympic roster-thread so I post it here also. This is what the roster might look like when everything goes with an original plan. Considering all the NA-based players(playing in China) with chinese ancestry are eligible.

Team China 2022:

Brandon Yip - Cory Kane - Tyler Wong
Garet Hunt - Lucas Lockhart - Spencer Foo
Chris Seto - Alex Riche - Brandon Magee
Yang Hu - Rudi Ying - Jing Wang
Extras: Peter Zhong, Qianyi Huang

Victor Bartley - Brayden Jaw
Zach Yuen - Jason Fram
Mikael Tam - Ty Schultz
Tianyu Hu - Minxi Yang

Jordan Liem - Derek Dun - Zehao Sun

According to Eliteprospects.com, Hunt, Foo, Seto, Riche, Wong, Magee, Schultz, Fram, Dun and Liem doesnt have a chinese citizenship yet.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I have a friend who is Chinese. And she says that China is coming for Canada.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Frostbitten: China Facing Olympic Ice Hockey Expulsion

Does anyone know if there is anything to this?
Well it does describe the situation correctly. They either use this year's Kunlun for an Olympic project or don't take part in the Olympics. There is hardly anything new in that article, it has been known for years. The only takeaway is that yes, the time to nake the decision is running out.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I cannot stress enough quite how disastrous this could be for China if Connor McDavid and his merry band of NHL All-Stars face the current Chinese Olympic ice hockey squad, which is currently training up in Shenyang. One hockey executive spoke of an impending “slaughter”. A coach who has first-hand experience with the Chinese squad told me he thought the scores against Canada and the US could be in the region of 100-0.

I was laughing very hard at this

Reactions: DuckyGirard

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I cannot stress enough quite how disastrous this could be for China if Connor McDavid and his merry band of NHL All-Stars face the current Chinese Olympic ice hockey squad, which is currently training up in Shenyang. One hockey executive spoke of an impending “slaughter”. A coach who has first-hand experience with the Chinese squad told me he thought the scores against Canada and the US could be in the region of 100-0.

I think at least Canada might give them a bit mercy and stop scoring after about 15-0. Not so sure about Usa though.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I think at least Canada might give them a bit mercy and stop scoring after about 15-0. Not so sure about Usa though.
North American sides will usually let up a bit, Canada a bit more so than the USA. Having played tournaments in Russia however, thank god they didn’t get China in their group, the score would be 75-0
I'd say that Canada is the team least likely to "let up a bit". The US however often only does the bare minimum against significantly weaker opponents.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

There is zero chance Canada will beat them 100-0.

They won't run the score up like that against a host country.

I think they will get a 7-0 or 8-0 lead, and then just stop trying to score.

You might see a period-by-period line of 7-1-1 or something like that, meaning 9 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->