Team Canada's IIHF U18 team this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
The tournament is in April in the Czech Republic and will be for players born in 1987 or later. Who will make this team for Canada? The CHL playoffs start in late March, so Canadian officials will essentially choose players from the teams that don't make their junior league playoffs and all teams that lose in the 1st round of their league playoffs. The team should be selected in early April.

Are there any locks from teams that are already out of the playoffs in the WHL, OHL or QMJHL? I don't know exactly when guys like Bertram, Cogliano, Bradford, etc. will be finished in their leagues?

Can anyone guess what this team will look like? Canada ran through the U18 World Junior Cup this past summer with 1987 born players and should be competitive this spring, even though all top players can be there. Two years ago the strong 1985 year won this tourney missing several quality players.

and the final question....if Sidney Crosby and the Oceanic are out of the Q playoffs after the 1st round, does he get named to the team??....and if so, would he go?

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Canada should have a good team for the WU18. There are a lot of quality 1987-born players, not the least of which are Crosby and Brule. However, there's no guarantee they'll be there, because if their teams, or anyone else for that matter, enjoys playoff success, they can't go. It's always been a decided disadvantage for Team Canada, which is why they didn't ice a team until 2002, and why they usually make a bigger deal of the Junior World Cup in August.

The fact that Canada won this thing in 2003 shows just how strong the 1985-born players are.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
It's always been a decided disadvantage for Team Canada, which is why they didn't ice a team until 2002, and why they usually make a bigger deal of the Junior World Cup in August.
The fact that Canada won this thing in 2003 shows just how strong the 1985-born players are.

Well, the 1987's for Canada could very well be better than the 1985's, but in no way does that guarantee Canada a medal at this tourney. Canada was lucky to have some very good players available for the 2003 IIHF tourney as guys like Seabrook, Coburn, Belle, Green, Bernier, Pouliot, Stewart, etc. were all back from a gold medal the previous summer.

Canada's order of finish the last 3 years(and the only 3 years) they have entered this tourney;

2004 - 4th (1986's)
2003 - 1st (1985's)
2002 - 6th (1984's)

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Here are a few guys that will get early consideration as there teams are either out of their league playoff races or very close to missing the playoffs.

Not a bad looking team already.....

Kenndal McArdle - Moose Jaw Warriors
Nick Drazenovic - Prince George Cougars
Adam Hobson - Spokane Chiefs
R.J. Larochelle - Swift Current Broncos
Carey Price - Tri-City Americans
Real Cyr - Prince George Cougars
Cal Clutterbuck - Oshawa Generals
Tom Pyatt - Saginaw Spirit
Richard Clune - Sarnia Sting
Patrick McNeill - Saginaw Spirit
Ryan Wilson - Toronto St. Mike's Majors
Ryan Parent - Guelph Storm
Jordan Clendenning - Acadie-Bathurst Titan
Mathieu Carle - Acadie-Bathurst Titan
Luc Bourdon - Val'dor Foreurs

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I'm sure Canada will be one of, if not the most talented teams at the tournament. It will just be a matter of chemistry for them.

The US U18 team is very talented and has a number of very good players that could potentially be added to boost their strength. It's true that they only came in fourth at last year's U17 WC but I think they are better than that placing would indicate. I have high hopes for them this year.

The two european teams that I traditionally fear the most, Russia and the Czechs, are both having off years talent wise so I don't think they are as dangerous as they have been in the recent past.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:
I'm sure Canada will be one of, if not the most talented teams at the tournament. It will just be a matter of chemistry for them.

The US U18 team is very talented and has a number of very good players that could potentially be added to boost their strength. It's true that they only came in fourth at last year's U17 WC but I think they are better than that placing would indicate. I have high hopes for them this year.

The two european teams that I traditionally fear the most, Russia and the Czechs, are both having off years talent wise so I don't think they are as dangerous as they have been in the recent past.

I agree, the USA team should be very strong and will definitely be considered one of, if not the favourite to win the tourney in April. What does roster of the USA U18 team look like right now? How are they doing this year? The USA may have finished 4th at last years U17 tournament and Canada obviously has more depth than any other nation, but when it comes down to selecting 'one' team, it's not so much of an advantage for Canada anymore. The USA looks pretty strong at the 1987 level regardless.

Who would you expect to be added to the team in April? I would think Bobby Ryan is at the top of the list if Owen Sound is ousted from the OHL playoffs in the 1st round, but that is probably unlikely. Is Tim Kraus, who plays for the Vancouver Giants, a possibility for the team? Are there any other top 87's out there for the USA that could be added?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The US U18 team has been doing well this year. They've won every junior game they've played except one and they have an 11-9-4 record against college teams.

If Bobby Ryan is available (which he might not be considering how strong Owen Sound has been this year) I certainly hope they would add him. The one other forward I've heard they might add is Benn Ferriero who plays in the New England prep leagues. They will need to add at least one forward because they only have eleven '87 or later forwards on the team right now ('86 Dan Fardig who is in the program to provide leadership to the '88s has been playing with them to round out the roster).

They have a number of players I think they could add on defense. Brian Lee (who I'm sure would be more effective at this level than he was at the U20s) or Taylor Chorney from S-SM's will probably both be available and they would probably be an improvement on some of the depth guys on the US team right now. '88 Erik Johnson could be added from the U17 team. I saw him via live internet feed last weekend and while it wasn't a great connection for scouting he certainly stood out to me.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
cagney said:
The US U18 team has been doing well this year. They've won every junior game they've played except one and they have an 11-9-4 record against college teams.

If Bobby Ryan is available (which he might not be considering how strong Owen Sound has been this year) I certainly hope they would add him. The one other forward I've heard they might add is Benn Ferriero who plays in the New England prep leagues. They will need to add at least one forward because they only have eleven '87 or later forwards on the team right now ('86 Dan Fardig who is in the program to provide leadership to the '88s has been playing with them to round out the roster).

They have a number of players I think they could add on defense. Brian Lee (who I'm sure would be more effective at this level than he was at the U20s) or Taylor Chorney from S-SM's will probably both be available and they would probably be an improvement on some of the depth guys on the US team right now. '88 Erik Johnson could be added from the U17 team. I saw him via live internet feed last weekend and while it wasn't a great connection for scouting he certainly stood out to me.
I do believe Ben Ferriero has already got the invitation. I would doubt if Bobby Ryan would get an invite. I wonder if any players from the U17 team will be brought up. Last year at this time they moved some players up and others down.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:

Brian Lee would be a good addition and maybe scouts could get a better read on the kid since he barely played at the WJC's. I think USA Hockey is making a mistake by continually bringing up underage kids to play in these types of tournaments(U17's, IIHF U18's, WJC's). Prime example would be Brian Lee at the most recent WJC's. The kid did not belong there and got absolutely no ice-time because of it. They should have had a guy like Zack Fitzgerald or a Dustin Byfuglien, etc. there who could have actually contributed. It's called building depth and giving guys experience to play the international game down the road. I do kind of like what USA Hockey does with their U18 team for the World Junior Cup. Those teams usually consist of some the lower profile players in their age group. If I'm not mistaken I'm sure USA Hockey has more than enough talent to roster a team of '87's in April without having to move up any '88's. The '88's will have their chance this summer and next spring.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
bigd said:
I do believe Ben Ferriero has already got the invitation. I would doubt if Bobby Ryan would get an invite. I wonder if any players from the U17 team will be brought up. Last year at this time they moved some players up and others down.

Why do you doubt they'd invite Ryan? Would it have to de with him backing out on the program or something else? If that's it, I really hope USA Hockey would let it go. You'd probably have a better feel for what they're thinking than I would.

BTW, I saw Brian Strait (who I believe is a relative of yours) and I was quite impressed. He looked real solid with Johnson in the games I saw.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
HabLover said:
I think USA Hockey is making a mistake by continually bringing up underage kids to play in these types of tournaments(U17's, IIHF U18's, WJC's). I do kind of like what USA Hockey does with their U18 team for the World Junior Cup. Those teams usually consist of some the lower profile players in their age group. If I'm not mistaken I'm sure USA Hockey has more than enough talent to roster a team of '87's in April without having to move up any '88's. The '88's will have their chance this summer and next spring.

I don't mind them bringing in players if they can really contribute. The two '88s that I think should be with the U18 team are Peter Mueller and Erik Johnson. Chad Morin plays up with the U18s but it seems that he has not developed into the elite player they thought he would be when they invited him to the program as an underager (although I'm sure he's still quite good).

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
cagney said:
Why do you doubt they'd invite Ryan? Would it have to de with him backing out on the program or something else? If that's it, I really hope USA Hockey would let it go. You'd probably have a better feel for what they're thinking than I would.

BTW, I saw Brian Strait (who I believe is a relative of yours) and I was quite impressed. He looked real solid with Johnson in the games I saw.
They do hold a grudge!

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It looks like the US will be adding Chad Rau (leading scorer among '87s in the USHL) to the team for the upcoming Five-Nations tournament. That's a good sign that they are thinking of adding him for the April tournament.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
orangeandblack said:
where did you see that at? didnt they add dan collins too earlier in the year for a tournament?

USHR reported it. Collins played with the U18s at the 4-Nations tourny back in November.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Since this thread is on the World U-18 Championships --does anyone know if TSN for certain will be covering the event on t.v. back to Canada this year? I believe they said they would do so last year just before the World U-18 Championships (ie. that they would show future World 18's starting I believe in 2005)--am I correct that they did indeed finalize a deal to show it this year?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
cagney said:
It looks like the US will be adding Chad Rau (leading scorer among '87s in the USHL) to the team for the upcoming Five-Nations tournament. That's a good sign that they are thinking of adding him for the April tournament.
Also Brian Strait, from the U17 team, is replacing David Inman who is injured

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
There's up roster on the swehockey.se website that includes Taylor Chorney and Nick Foligno in addition to Rau, Strait and the rest of the U18 team.

http://stats.swehockey.se/ (U18 5-Nations ---> Team Rosters)

Foligno played with the team last year so that should help him fit in well. I'll be interested to see how Rau does. It really says something that they've chosen to take Strait over Erik Johnson.

SkoulasOut4theSummer

Jan 2, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
SPORTSMANIAC said:
Does Jonathan Bernier have a shot making at a goalie? Or is he still alittle young at 16 to be at the U-18?

I think Bernier falls into the same category as Sheppard from the Screaming Eagles. Being a 16 year old, his chances are slim to begin with but I guess anything could be possible if Carey Price or Real Cyr cannot attend. What other goalies would be also considered for a spot?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:
There's up roster on the swehockey.se website that includes Taylor Chorney and Nick Foligno in addition to Rau, Strait and the rest of the U18 team.

http://stats.swehockey.se/ (U18 5-Nations ---> Team Rosters)

Foligno played with the team last year so that should help him fit in well. I'll be interested to see how Rau does. It really says something that they've chosen to take Strait over Erik Johnson.

When does this tournament start? Have the Sudbury Wolves released Foligno to play?....it would seem kind of strange that they would, unless he isn't a very important part of their team right now?

Is Brian Lee on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad