U18: TEAM CANADA

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Whoever ends up drafting Bahl is going to be extremely disappointed with his development curve.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

still waiting for their #1 goaltender and 1 more forward to arrive.

but another solid effort on the way to the GMG.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Lafrenière played well. Had a nice goal. Gets tons of pp time.
Canada’s best line was Veleno, Noel and McBain. Veleno should even be better after losing a bit of his jet lag tomorrow.

Still not sold on Tychonic. Bahl and Merkley were in the ice for at least 2 of the three goals against as was the line of Hillis, McShane and (Foudy)?

Team looked good as a whole.
Very deep.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Lafrenière played well. Had a nice goal. Gets tons of pp time.
Canada’s best line was Veleno, Noel and McBain. Veleno should even be better after losing a bit of his jet lag tomorrow.

Still not sold on Tychonic. Bahl and Merkley were in the ice for at least 2 of the three goals against as was the line of Hillis, McShane and (Foudy)?

Team looked good as a whole.
Very deep.

Valeno is underrated by the scouts. Telling you

Canadians should get him

A Quebec centre with decent size and I know for a fact he is a work Hogg. Underrated my freind s!!!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Valeno is underrated by the scouts. Telling you

Canadians should get him

A Quebec centre with decent size and I know for a fact he is a work Hogg. Underrated my freind s!!!

Would you be willing to pick him 5th or 6th?

As an Islanders fan he is the guy I have pegged for 10th(assuming he is still left on the board)

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Where do you rank him?

You see

I'm not one that overhypes Americans. Look where that got us with our many American picks

Scouts don't seem to place Quebec players very high

I would definitely pick home between 8-9

I don't believe the 24th spot of some stupid scouting report

Quebec players aren't hyped much around hfboards

American players are overhyped on this board

I would have even picked laine over Mathews

I remember tsn trying to put eichel vs mcdavid. What a joke

So yes I would pick valeno centre a local kid between 8-9

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You see

I'm not one that overhypes Americans. Look where that got us with our many American picks

Scouts don't seem to place Quebec players very high

I would definitely pick home between 8-9

I don't believe the 24th spot of some stupid scouting report

Quebec players aren't hyped much around hfboards

American players are overhyped on this board

I would have even picked laine over Mathews

I remember tsn trying to put eichel vs mcdavid. What a joke

So yes I would pick valeno centre a local kid between 8-9
Thanks 8-9 would have done it for me :laugh:.
I have him 10 at the moment..

Reactions: 99664987

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Oliver Rodrigue and Aidan Dudas.
Dudas will help, I think. Fast, skilled and creative (from what I've seen and read). I honestly don't know what he's like away from the puck, but you win in international hockey by having a bunch of guys who can make plays with the biscuit. I think he'll be an asset.

Too bad it took a generation - and Ralph Krueger - for Hockey Canada to figure out that you need play-makers, not "grinders", to win international events. Even then, they needed a few more humiliations before it finally dawned on them that a guy who can't do anything with the puck on his stick is useless against opponents who can.

And, even after all that, I still don't trust Salmond. I think their new scout is alright, though, and Renney is miles better than Mr. Cronyism (Nicholson) was. We just need to get rid of the hold-overs from the Nicholson Error and we can start building something better.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
It was a nice win over Switzerland 5-0, which tell you that the team did its job defensively and did enough offensively. The American troubles with Switzerland were probably duly noted by Canuck coaches, so not a lot of 2-on-1 opportunities for the Swiss.

Nice to see Dudas burn around:)

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Top ranked guys are ho humm so far. Veleno, Smith and Thomas haven’t done anything to show they deserve their high rankings. Still lots of time tho.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Top ranked guys are ho humm so far. Veleno, Smith and Thomas haven’t done anything to show they deserve their high rankings. Still lots of time tho.
Ive liked Veleno so far, he seems to have good hands and makes smart simple plays.

Not sure if I agree with your assessment.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Agree on Smith and Thomas. I'd like to see Foudy get more ice time.. He makes things happen every time he is on

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The team is definitely getting better as they play more games. Against Sweden they were way more physically engaged and supporting each other in every puck battle, Sweden had no space on the ice and if we play like that against other teams we should win the Gold. Goaltending has been great, making the saves that needed to be stopped and more.

Merkley is really stepping it up, I was expecting a lazy, one-dimensional defenceman, but he can really play and he knows how to move the puck. Doesn't look like the same player he was in Guelph, much more team oriented and probably the team's best defenceman. Bahl has been a beast, I haven't seen anybody beat him in this tournament. The Veleno/McBain/Noel line are in the offensive zone almost every shift, they're playing well. McShane is showing off his offensive skills, He can make talented plays and he finally got a shot higher in the line-up. We got a bunch of spark plugs on the team too like Dudas, Hillis, Foudy and Wouters.

I'm confident in this team's chance to win Gold. Czech Republic next, then Russia/USA, then probably SWE/FIN. Not going to be an easy road.

Reactions: 99664987

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
I di n
The team is definitely getting better as they play more games. Against Sweden they were way more physically engaged and supporting each other in every puck battle, Sweden had no space on the ice and if we play like that against other teams we should win the Gold. Goaltending has been great, making the saves that needed to be stopped and more.

Merkley is really stepping it up, I was expecting a lazy, one-dimensional defenceman, but he can really play and he knows how to move the puck. Doesn't look like the same player he was in Guelph, much more team oriented and probably the team's best defenceman. Bahl has been a beast, I haven't seen anybody beat him in this tournament. The Veleno/McBain/Noel line are in the offensive zone almost every shift, they're playing well. McShane is showing off his offensive skills, He can make talented plays and he finally got a shot higher in the line-up. We got a bunch of spark plugs on the team too like Dudas, Hillis, Foudy and Wouters.

I'm confident in this team's chance to win Gold. Czech Republic next, then Russia/USA, then probably SWE/FIN. Not going to be an easy road.

I did not see the first two periods, and so it 's nice to see that Veleno/McBain/Noel line were an offensive threat, although did not put one in the net - also looks like they did not get scored on, which means they played a solid defensive game. I like that line.

Now I saw only parts of the third, and it looked like McBain was playing center for another line... thought the line had been split up, but I heard that Thomas got taken out of the game. Anyhow, McBain shows some ability in covering positions - I think he suits center more than winger, but maybe some team will make him move to wing permanently?

Wouters looking good!! Bahl? Just keeps getting better. And Lafeniere scores the winner - he is really becoming something at this tourney

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Here’s my take:
Entirely too much ice time given to Hillis.
Small, and quick, no offence to show, took a bad penalty to allow Swedes to send it to Overtime. Canada too many smallish guys.
Before he got hurt Thomas coughed up the puck and cost the first goal. He really has done nothing, except an empty net goal.
Smith has been a cough up machine with 4 or 5 give aways in his end every game. Very surprising.

On the positive side, goaltending is strong, LAVOIE has emerged as a huge threat, The Big bodied guys like Noel and McBain are playing strong and Merkley seems to be creating the way he can.

Will be great to see the remaining games.

Reactions: Acadien86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad