Team Canada selection camp roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Flames Draft Watcher said:
1. Looks like Keenan...

2. No way all of Rogers, Schultz, Fistric, Green and Stephenson get dropped. Most if not all impressed me more at the summer camp than any of the Q or O defensemen.

3. I wouldn't rule out Chipchura or MacArthur...

Missed the part about O and Q lol, but yeah Green I still didnt think was that great, but I agree, the WHL should have at least 5 starting 6 of the dmen on the team.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
No chance Julien-Ellis Plante and Gilbert Brule don't get the invite. Just no chance. Leaving out Steve Bernier too. Yikes.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
NucksFan said:
Can someone tell me whats the deal with Logan Stephenson, ive never seen him play before. One thing i look at is a guy like Clayton Stoner on the same team who is bigger, has more points, and has a better +- then Stephenson, and is never mentioned.

Being from Clayton's hometown, I've followed his major junior career a bit in the past two years, and he is not often mentioned despite putting up numbers that are very comprable to guys like Stephenson (and even last year Belle), and by all reports he plays just as good physically and defensively, and he really never gets any mention. Heck, before hte draft he was ranked significantly lower than he ultimately went. At the midseason ratings he wasn't even on the radar screen, and then he went on Day 1. *shrug*

All of that said, he is not going to get an invite to this camp, he isn't THAT good. But I do think he is greatly underappreciated.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I have often been critical of Steve Bernier's game (because I feel he does not play the style which will make him most successful enough), but I would be very surprised if he didn't receive an invite to this team.

NewHabsEra*

No way Pouliot will be invited! Oilers just wasted their 2003 first round pick...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My guess is that Burns has a guaranteed spot on the team as a blueliner by virtue of his experience at higher levels of play. The selection committee will act like it was an easy decision but I'm sure they've pondered the idea of bringing him back as a forward.

Parent NHL clubs have more say in this process than they should, I think, and Minnesota can (and will) be able to put pressure on the team to leave him on the blueline.

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
Team Canada

I believe that there will be a cople of 86's playing as role players this year to prepare them for next year, Wolski & Bolland both have a good chance of being 4th line players being used in a PK role and 4th line role.

This is all dependent on what NHL players are available to play.

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
Invite

I think after the OHL, WHL & QHL have player against Team Russia, so probably early December as they do use these games as evaluation for the invite to the final camp.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Scooter2 said:
I believe that there will be a cople of 86's playing as role players this year to prepare them for next year, Wolski & Bolland both have a good chance of being 4th line players being used in a PK role and 4th line role.

This is all dependent on what NHL players are available to play.

I highly doubt that. Wolski and Bolland are in very, very tough to even get an invite to the December camp. Team Canada officials are not worried about next year and getting '86 born players experience, it's this tourament that is important, especially when you haven't won gold in like 7 years or so. Plus, being in the USA, it's almost like being at home, there will be alot of Canadian fans in North Dakota for the tourney.

As far as next year's tourney in Vancouver goes it will be heavy in 1987 born flavour as the 1986 grouping isn't very strong! It's the same as last WJC, where Canada went heavy in '85 talent, skipping lots of 1984 talent, although some exceptional talent was in the NHL(Nash, Bouchard, etc.) If the NHL lockout continues into next Xmas, Canada will be led by Sidney Crosby and followed by guys like Brule, Latendresse, Durand, Cogliano, Bertram, Setoguchi, Little and of course obvious '86's like Chipchura, Barker, Wolski, Pouliot, McGrath, Bourret, Dubnyk, Shantz, etc. If the NHL lockout ends by next season then Canada will lose several players from the above listed.

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
Ehhh

Hablover, you obviously dont have a clue about the Canadian talent in the 86 group.

Ladd, Barker, Bolland, Wolski, McGrath, Picard,Chipchura, Shantz,Bickel, Garlock.

These are just players that come to mind immediately.

As for 87's, other than Crosby there is no other 87 that comes to mind as a standout for the WJ next year although i'm sure there will be a couple that will make the team next year.

Just to give you a quick education, they will take a couple of 86's so as to give them a taste for next year.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Scooter2 said:
Hablover, you obviously dont have a clue about the Canadian talent in the 86 group.

Ladd, Barker, Bolland, Wolski, McGrath, Picard,Chipchura, Shantz,Bickel, Garlock.

These are just players that come to mind immediately.

As for 87's, other than Crosby there is no other 87 that comes to mind as a standout for the WJ next year although i'm sure there will be a couple that will make the team next year.

Just to give you a quick education, they will take a couple of 86's so as to give them a taste for next year.

I don't know where you are from Scooter2, but I would love to put some money on this one! I am telling you, there will be very few, if any 1986 born players on the upcoming Canadian WJ Team! Cam Barker is the most obvious choice, after that possibly a Chipchura, but Wolski and Bolland are big-time longshots for this year!

As for next year, sorry my boy, Ladd and Picard(if you are talking Alexandre, the Columbus 1st rounder) will be too old, they are not born in 1986. Both of them are 1985 born players and this year's WJC will their last chance to play in the tourney and I might add they have a good chance at this year's club. I will also add Bickell and Garlock are far from top end talent that will be considered for the final roster next year in Vancouver. Like I said, the team next year will be made up of several 1987 born players, with or without an NHL lockout. The 1987 group for Canada is phenomenal and the talent is endless! There will be several 1986's on the team next year, again guys like Barker, Bolland, Wolski, Dubnyk, Fistric, Schultz, Rogers, McGrath, etc. to name a few who will have a shot. If a NHL season is a go next year you can count out Barker and Crosby for Vancouver.

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
Barker & Crosby

Barker and Crosby will still be eligable and as long as tehre NHL team release them then they will be there.

My mistake with Picard & Ladd, didn't realise taht they were 85's.

We will agree to disagree on the 86 talent, lets see who is invited after the Canada/Russia series of exhibition games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad