Team Canada Round Robin Report Card (Goalies/Defence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought this might be fun to do. See what everyone thought of the play so far. Remember, this is strictly my own opinion, of course there will be disagreements:

Goalies:
Jeff Glass - B - He hasn't had to do anything special to this point, but he's been solid. He played much better last night and proved to me that he can hold up to the opponents fire.

Rejean Beauchemin - B - Kinda hard to give a grade for Beauchemin when he only played 1 game. I was pretty impressed with this play though. Very composed, covers the net well, very quick. I would have no problem falling back on him if need be.

Defence:
Dion Phaneuf - A - Has been everything that was advertised. Everyone knew what they would be getting with him and he has shown that. I would have to admit I was expecting him to be at a totally different level but he's been very good.

Shea Weber - A - IMO has been the best dman on the team. Has been very consistent at both ends of the ice. Physical, smart, good decision maker. I can see why people are so high on him.

Braydon Coburn - B - Has been a steady, physical presence. Solid in his own end, fairly quiet offensively. Hasn't stood out, whether good or bad which is always a good thing.

Brent Seabrook - B - You could see the experience come through when he got back into the lineup. Very smart, good puck skills, steady in his own end. I'm not totally sold on him as a pro, but he's been very solid at this tournament.

Shawn Belle - A - I was one that wasn't sold on him at all before the tournament. I saw too many mistakes last year and only saw his skating ability. This year he has completely changed my mind. Very solid defensively, good offensive instincts, great skater, strong as a bull. I've loved what I've seen.

Danny Syvret - B - Hasn't had to do much to this point. Solid at both ends of the ice and hasn't made any glaring mistakes. Inexperience shows through at times but he has shown that his play with London was no fluke.

Cam Barker - INC. - I'm giving Barker an incomplete grade because he only played in 3 games. If he had played in the full compliment to this point, he would be a B, pushing an A. I've liked everything I've seen in him. Poised, good with the puck, good decision maker. He plays like a veteran out on the ice.

leafaholix*

Aside from a few plays at the start of the tournament where he just threw the puck away for no reason, Shawn Belle's been a rock defensively. It's a good sign, and it's probably because he's not trying to do anything offensively.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Another list that I agree with for the most part. I've been very impressed with Glass though. You can make the point that he hasn't HAD to make a single stop to this point that changed the tone of the game, but he has looked pretty solid between the pipes to this point, and hopefully he can continue into the medal round, where he undoubtedly will be tested more frequently. I'm glad you rated Shawn Belle an A, very underrated defensemen that has surprised many people so far. I've always been a fan, but this year he hasn't made as many errors and defensive lapses.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Belle was Jarmo Kekalainen's first pick after leaving Ottawa and at the time I think he said something like "this kid is the best athlete physically I've ever seen". So I always kept an eye on him just to see what the Sens let go in Kekalainen.
He didn't impress me last year and I was ready to breathe a sigh of relief but he's totally changed my opinion on him with his play in these WJCs. He's looking like a top-end prospect. Hopefully Patrick Eaves turns into something good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->