WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I know winning is a big priority here, but I'd like to see some young guys on this team like Jost, Dubois, Pearson, Chychurn, Barzal, Horvat, Mantha and maybe even Beauvillier. I'd like to see these kids over guys like O'Reilly, MacKinnon, etc. Seeing the same players every year ruins the tournament for me, I like seeing young, excited faces winning the WHC, not vets.

Benn - McDavid - Dubois
Huberdeau - Barzal - Schwartz
Domi - Horvat - Anderson
Pearson - Nugent-Hopkins - Jost/R.Smith
Reinhart

Chychurn - Pietrangelo
Keith - Severson
Scandella - Green
Girard/Chabot

Allen
Talbot

This is the closest to a best on best senior's tournament Team Canada would likely get for another four years, so I'd rather win than scout young players or give "guys a chance". As useless as it is as a metric, we're also tied with Russia on IIHF ranking points, and it'd be a nice feather in the cap to remain ranked #1 in the world... or at least bettering Russia's performance.

Canada's been sending serious teams to this tournament since 2015 and I'd like to see that continue. Have a feeling this year's rosters will be significantly more competitive than other former Olympic years with NHLers. McDavid is huge for our chances.

Reactions: SpoolCat

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I know winning is a big priority here, but I'd like to see some young guys on this team like Jost, Dubois, Pearson, Chychurn, Barzal, Horvat, Mantha and maybe even Beauvillier. I'd like to see these kids over guys like O'Reilly, MacKinnon, etc. Seeing the same players every year ruins the tournament for me, I like seeing young, excited faces winning the WHC, not vets.

Benn - McDavid - Dubois
Huberdeau - Barzal - Schwartz
Domi - Horvat - Anderson
Pearson - Nugent-Hopkins - Jost/R.Smith
Reinhart

Chychurn - Pietrangelo
Keith - Severson
Scandella - Green
Girard/Chabot

Allen
Talbot
Mackinnon is younger then like half of that team.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Duchene and Hoffman need to be on this team. They've been money together and I don't think Hoff has ever played for Canada

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Duchene and Hoffman need to be on this team. They've been money together and I don't think Hoff has ever played for Canada

I'm iffy about Duchene. I have a lot of respect for his willingness to play for Canada, but he was pretty terrible last year. He could probably use the break.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I'm iffy about Duchene. I have a lot of respect for his willingness to play for Canada, but he was pretty terrible last year. He could probably use the break.

He's been excellent down the stretch for Ottawa. Even if he plays down the line-up, he's good enough to make this team. I'm really skeptical that guys like Benn or Seguin will decide to go, but if they do I'd understand leaving Duchene off. There's no way you can tell me that he can't beat out guys like Sam Reinhart though.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
And he's already played at the WHC 3 times. I'm interested to see how players perform on big ice and in an international environment for future best on best tournaments.

And what future best v best tournaments would those be? Euro-Hockey Tour Olympics or gimmicky NHL tournaments, like the most recent WC or the proposed Ryder Cup format?

I'm afraid all we have at the moment is this B level annual IIHF WHC springtime tournament...so, we may as well go all in on that until all those hypothetical best v best tournaments stop being hypothetical...then we can experiment with rosters

As for Mackinnon, I'd prefer he make a deep run in the NHL playoffs, but if he were available and wanted to play for a 4th time, then I applaud his commitment to the jersey. Call him Captain Canada. a 1-2 punch of McDavid and MacKinnon in a Maple Leaf jersey would be sweet sweet music. or a 1-2-3 punch of Connor-Nate and Mathew Barzal. That's pretty freaking awesome...for the hear and now and some future hypothetical tournament that may or may not even occur.

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
And what future best v best tournaments would those be? Euro-Hockey Tour Olympics or gimmicky NHL tournaments, like the most recent WC or the proposed Ryder Cup format?

I'm afraid all we have at the moment is this B level annual IIHF WHC springtime tournament...so, we may as well go all in on that until all those hypothetical best v best tournaments stop being hypothetical...then we can experiment with rosters

As for Mackinnon, I'd prefer he make a deep run in the NHL playoffs, but if he were available and wanted to play for a 4th time, then I applaud his commitment to the jersey. Call him Captain Canada. a 1-2 punch of McDavid and MacKinnon in a Maple Leaf jersey would be sweet sweet music. or a 1-2-3 punch of Connor-Nate and Mathew Barzal. That's pretty freaking awesome...for the hear and now and some future hypothetical tournament that may or may not even occur.

You know it's getting to be World Championships season when the dreaded "B" letter comes out of the closet again.

Some questions -

Does your favorite club team always have every player on your Fantasy draft? Do we downgrade the Stanley Cup tournament because legends can't come out of the grave to play? Does it devalue the tournament that only 1/30th of the NHL players are eligible to play for each team? Are only 1/30th of each country's NHL players up for the Worlds?

If each country could send their 20 absolute best players every year, we'd be watching the same teams over and over with a few minor changes. Instead, there is intrigue and variety and ups and downs. There's a word for that. It's called sports.

The fact that each program has to motivate their NHL pros to play in the WC under tough circumstances can be seen as another test of how truly great it is. Countries like Canada that take the WC seriously send excellent teams and win. Countries like the USA send a bunch of college bros and get clobbered. That's the way it should be. You gotta have the want-to from the top down.

The WC winner vs the Stanley Cup winner would be a hell of an annual series. If we don't call the NHL "B" level, then we can't say a comparable champion is "B" level.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He's been excellent down the stretch for Ottawa. Even if he plays down the line-up, he's good enough to make this team. I'm really skeptical that guys like Benn or Seguin will decide to go, but if they do I'd understand leaving Duchene off. There's no way you can tell me that he can't beat out guys like Sam Reinhart though.

It's fine if Duchene goes, but just as fine if he doesn't. He is probably preferable to a Reinhart, but there are some younger guys that are not as good as Duchene that I would rather see. He looked completely drained last year and he's gone so often that I would just prefer he take a pass.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It's fine if Duchene goes, but just as fine if he doesn't. He is probably preferable to a Reinhart, but there are some younger guys that are not as good as Duchene that I would rather see. He looked completely drained last year and he's gone so often that I would just prefer he take a pass.

ya, disappointing tournament for Duchene last year. I admire his commitment and for being the opposite of Iginla, but he should take a full summer off to de-stress at the cottage in Haliburton. come back strong next year.

but he loves to play, so we'll probably see him again.

Florida is hard charging for a playoff spot, if we lose Huberdeau, then Matty at LW can keep up with McDavid.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
ya, disappointing tournament for Duchene last year. I admire his commitment and for being the opposite of Iginla, but he should take a full summer off to de-stress at the cottage in Haliburton. come back strong next year.

but he loves to play, so we'll probably see him again.

Florida is hard charging for a playoff spot, if we lose Huberdeau, then Matty at LW can keep up with McDavid.

Duchene was McDavid's RW in 2016... it was just adequate, not great. Things can change though. If Klefbom is a legit source then finding McDavid a linemate will probably be a good problem to have. The wing pair I would most like to see is Benn and Seguin, but I'm not going to expect that.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Much stronger than in 2015? That's nearly impossible. You arguably can't get better roster for this type of tournament than what we saw in Prague.

ya, it would be pretty tough to do for this tournament. but if your Flyers get eliminated early a trio of Giroux-Couturier-Konecy (Travis has been playing some great hockey since the Jan.1) would go a long way in getting a Prague Powerhouse version 2.0. It would probably be enough to get you on a train to Denmark. especially if Canada plays Czech Rep. in an elimination game.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hilarious to not see Mark Stone on any of these teams.

Gallagher should be in this team
Should he be?...

I really dont think so if they are taking the 13 best canadian forwards.

Assuming the best players do in fact go and the season ended today the team might look something like this. Atleast this is what I would go with.

Benn Tavares Seguin
Huberdeau Mcdavid Barzal
Hoffman Monahan Duchene
Schwartz O'Rielly Stone
Schenn

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Is there a list of the players who have already accepted?

Hockey Canada doesn't release/and I'm not even sure they contact players about the WHC while the season is still ongoing. The only reason why we know about McDavid is that Klefbom informed the Swedish media...and my bet is Hockey Canada hasn't contacted McDavid yet, but McDavid's interest in playing is just lockeroom banter.
a couple of teammates talking about playing/not playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad