WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Still doesn't mean he should do what what he and so many other Canadian players do.

I HATE subsidizing their hockey program, it's subsidized enough just by the NHL. I won't even get into other things that gives them such an advantage.

These guys need to come home after their careers.

Well, we thankfully live in a free enough country where players have that choice. If you're rich and live in a culturally very similar country with better weather, your wife comes from there, your kids are from there, many of your adult friends are from there, then it jut isn't likely that most guys are going to move back. Canada's been exporting these guys to USA for approaching a century and USA hockey finally got its act together enough to take advantage of it in the last few decades. That's just the way it is. I'm sure you are quite familiar with Cape Breton's greatest athlete and how his son plays for USA and the role he has played in developing high end hockey players in a previously barren region of USA.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, we thankfully live in a free enough country where players have that choice. If you're rich and live in a culturally very similar country with better weather, your wife comes from there, your kids are from there, many of your adult friends are from there, then it jut isn't likely that most guys are going to move back. Canada's been exporting these guys to USA for approaching a century and USA hockey finally got its act together enough to take advantage of it in the last few decades. That's just the way it is. I'm sure you are quite familiar with Cape Breton's greatest athlete and how his son plays for USA and the role he has played in developing high end hockey players in a previously barren region of USA.

Yes I am aware, and as much as I still love the guy it's knocked Big Al down a few notches in my books.

Drives me nuts, I would never do such a thing had I been a star player.

Guy should know better and do better. It's such a shame, these guys sure have short memories and loyalty.

Ed27

Dec 20, 2015
Mr Writer,

Your Team Canada roster is a thing of beauty. And I only hope that it may look even better on ice than it does on paper.

Having acknowledged that, I would like to include on that team Sharp, Keith and Seabrook, just for the sake of them joining the Triple Gold Club to decorate their long serving hockey careers. More specifically, this refers to Patrick Sharp who looks to be in his closing stages.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Mr Writer,

Your Team Canada roster is a thing of beauty. And I only hope that it may look even better on ice than it does on paper.

Having acknowledged that, I would like to include on that team Sharp, Keith and Seabrook, just for the sake of them joining the Triple Gold Club to decorate their long serving hockey careers. More specifically, this refers to Patrick Sharp who looks to be in his closing stages.

Seabrook looks to be winding down too and his foot speed would cause me great concern on the big sheet.

I don't think he is the right fit for this thing at this stage of his career.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Seabrook looks to be winding down too and his foot speed would cause me great concern on the big sheet.

I don't think he is the right fit for this thing at this stage of his career.

ya, the roster looks a whole lot less impressive if we include any of those 3, especially Seabrook. Keith would be fine in the event we get a lot of declines, but at this point I think he just prefers family time in the offseason. Regardless, I'd prefer for other players to step up.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
ya, the roster looks a whole lot less impressive if we include any of those 3, especially Seabrook. Keith would be fine in the event we get a lot of declines, but at this point I think he just prefers family time in the offseason. Regardless, I'd prefer for other players to step up.

Keith will never play at this thing again. He's what?, 35 now? Guy has played a ton of hockey, the injuries have been piling up the last few years, at this point his focus is resting up and being the best player he can be in the N.H.L for the Chicago Blackhawks and doing the train/family thing in the offseason.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

Im sure O’Reilly would join the WC team, guys been an absolute patriot for the last 3 tournaments.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Hall has done enough that it can't be held against him if he refuses. He's been a good soldier at this tournament and Hockey Canada has ignored him on big boy rosters. As for immigration, recall that Hall himself has an Australian father who moved to Canada and eventually played in the CFL.
Steve Hall's his father? I did not know that. I actually remember him playing for Ottawa.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
My Team Canada

*I will be including players from teams that are holding down those last 2 wildcard spots in both conferences*

Forwards:
O'Reilly - McDavid - Barzal
Huberdeau - MacKinnon - Duchene
Schwartz - Schenn - Horvat
Skinner - Monahan - Ghallager

Extra: Dubois

Defensemen:
Giordano - Parayko
Matheson - Ekblad
Scandella - Tanev

Extra: Nurse

Goalies:
Talbot
Allen

Last edited:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
My Team Canada

*I will be including players from teams that are holding down those last 2 wildcard spots in both conferences*

Forwards:
O'Reilly - McDavid - Barzal
Huberdeau - MacKinnon - Duchene
Schwartz - Schenn - Horvat
Skinner - Monahan - Ghallager

Extra: Dubois

Defensemen:
Giordano - Parayko
Matheson - Ekblad
Scandella - Tanev

Extra: Nurse or Chychrun

Goalies:
Talbot
Allen
90% players this roster play in WC in past years)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Schwartz would be good to see. He hasn't been to this tournament since he really busted out in 2014. Hopefully his ankle is good to go.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Schwartz would be good to see. He hasn't been to this tournament since he really busted out in 2014. Hopefully his ankle is good to go.

refresh my memory, it's failing me in my old age...but why didn't he get in any games in Stockholm?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Colorado doesn't get into the playoffs Sam Girard seems like a typical Team Canada addition.
There's also Mackinnon and Barrie too. Maybe even Cale Makar, kid's a freak.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
refresh my memory, it's failing me in my old age...but why didn't he get in any games in Stockholm?

Don't remember. Probably injury, as I can't imagine that they didn't even give him one game.

If Colorado doesn't get into the playoffs Sam Girard seems like a typical Team Canada addition.
There's also Mackinnon and Barrie too. Maybe even Cale Makar, kid's a freak.

As much as I like to use the tournament for development purposes, taking more than one Girard/Makar type would probably be a mistake. The young guys should be placed in a winning environment and that gets harder when the team is too young.

MacKinnon was a beast last year, kind of a sign of his big year to come, and Barrie was great until falling to the Sharpshooter. Credit to MacKinnon if he goes again, he would be the centrepiece of the team unless McDavid goes.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Girard with role 7D not bad option

Pietrangelo-Pareyko
Hamilton-Giordano
Brodie- ? (guy after 1 sc round)
Girard

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I got this idea in my head how a team with only ahlers would look like, mind you, ahlers where not allowed in olympics (atleast not 99 % of them).

Mangiapane - D.Strome - Lorito
Varone - Pirri - Szwarz
C.Terry - Merkley - Fritz
Puempel - Petan - Moulson

Wotherspoon - Wiercioch
Capobianco - Garrison
Gilmour - Sproul

Bibeau
Pickard

Bronze medal could happen.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
a roster with a twist. the 5 '98s who were not released for the WJHC all make the trip to Denmark for the Senior Men's tourney.

I'm running out of roster options.

I'd rather see Dubois over Patrick, but not really sure where he fits in with that collection of C/LWers.

Jost is there just to practice.

T HALL

C MCDAVID

N PATRICK

J HUBERDEAU

N MACKINNON

B HORVAT

J SCHWARTZ

M BARZAL

J EBERLE

R O’REILLY

S MONAHAN

B GALLAGHER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

P.L. DUBOIS T JOST
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

T.J. BRODIE

A PIETRANGELO

M GIORDANO

D HAMILTON

M MATHESON

C PARAYKO

J CHYCHRUN

S GIRARD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

J ALLEN

M JONES

KEVIN POULIN (reward for Spengler and Olympics) Plays 1 game v South Korea
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
a roster with a twist. the 5 '98s who were not released for the WJHC all make the trip to Denmark for the Senior Men's tourney.

I'm running out of roster options.

I'd rather see Dubois over Patrick, but not really sure where he fits in with that collection of C/LWers.

Jost is there just to practice.

T HALLC MCDAVIDN PATRICK
J HUBERDEAUN MACKINNONB HORVAT
J SCHWARTZM BARZALJ EBERLE
R O’REILLYS MONAHANB GALLAGHER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
P.L. DUBOIS T JOST
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T.J. BRODIEA PIETRANGELO
M GIORDANOD HAMILTON
M MATHESONC PARAYKO
J CHYCHRUNS GIRARD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
J ALLEN
M JONES
KEVIN POULIN (reward for Spengler and Olympics) Plays 1 game v South Korea
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Where Tavares?)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm hoping to see Mantha there. He would bring a good element to the team.

both DRW players are RFA. otherwise I would have included Mantha from the very 1st. post. maybe even Athanasiou in a few iterations. depends on how he's playing that week.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
time for a bump

Not sure who I want to see play with McDavid more, Hall or JH? For some reason I'm curious to see how JH would play off McD.

As many know, I'm no fan of the bobbsey twins from Anaheim, but since Perry won redemption for 2012 in 2016, then Getzlaf and Benn should get their shot at it. given that Dallas seems to be going off the rails and prime to make an early playoff exit. if they even make the POs.

T HALL / J HUBERDEAU

C MCDAVID

J BAILEY

J BENN

R GETZLAF

T SEGUIN

T HALL / J HUBERDEAU

M BARZAL

J EBERLE

J SCHWARTZ

S MONAHAN

B GALLAGHER