WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The who's available (or likely to become available) and who deserves to be there roster. Not how it ever works for the WHC, but this is all for lolz anyway. So, if you are having a crappy season (Drouin + others) need not apply. just pack up your locker and head directly to your summer cottage.

T HALL

N MACKINNON

T TOFFOLI

J HUBERDEAU

C MCDAVID

B HORVAT

J SCHWARTZ

M BARZAL

J EBERLE

A HENRIQUE

S MONAHAN

J WILLIAMS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

A KERFOOT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

J MUZZIN

D DOUGHTY

M RIELLY

A PIETRANGELO

T.J. BRODIE

D HAMILTON

M MATHESON

M DUMBA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

M SMITH

J ALLEN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Now that the other tournament is over, for Canada anyway, time to bump this thread. updated roster pending sometime this weekend. stay tuned.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It'll be a top 6 of some decent skill guys and a bottom six of some veteran pluggers as per usual.

We'd be lucky to get 2 of those defencemen.

But I get that you're trying to put together an optimum roster.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It'll be a top 6 of some decent skill guys and a bottom six of some veteran pluggers as per usual.

We'd be lucky to get 2 of those defencemen.

But I get that you're trying to put together an optimum roster.

other than Doughty, who has a serious hate on for the WHC, I don't think that the roster is pie in the sky. besides, it fluctuates depending on standings and playoff matchups, there's a different one pending this weekend...somewhat different.

most of the players are young, have never played before or have accepted multiple invites in the past.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Assuming SJS, Leafs, STL. and Wild all make 1st rd. exits.

I can get behind this team.

I'd love to get the Philly trio of Giroux Couturier Konecny. but I'm not betting any money on the Caps and their list of characters taking out Philly. If JT signs his extension soon, then Couture can take a hike.

J HUBERDEAU

C MCDAVID

J BAILEY

A KERFOOT

N MACKINNON

B HORVAT

L COUTURE

M BARZAL

J EBERLE

J SCHWARTZ

S MONAHAN

T TOFFOLI
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

P.L. DUBOIS C MAKAR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

M MATHESON

A PIETRANGELO

M GIORDANO

D HAMILTON

M RIELLY

C PARAYKO

T CHABOT

J SPURGEON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

J ALLEN

M JONES

KEVIN POULIN (reward for Spengler and Olympics) Plays 1 game v South Korea
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
HUBERDEAU MCDAVID N MACKINNON
L COUTURE J TAVARES J BAILEY
J SCHWARTZ M Scheifele S MONAHAN
T TOFFOLI M BARZAL M STONE

A PIETRANGELO C PARAYKO

D DAUGHTY J MUZZIN/ D HAMILTON- TJ BRODIE
B BURNS A EKBLAD

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
not interested in Ekblad. he's played better the past 15 games or so, but nowhere near the level he should be. If he finishes the season the way he's played the last 15, then maybe...if all or any of the those RHD in the roster are unavailable/decline invites.

There are a few other RHD I'd choose over Ekblad as well.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He s always declined invite(

Indeed. I don't expect Couture. If San Jose falls out of contention I would watch to see what Burns does. Burns is on record that he likes this tournament (though he thinks that it is too long) and reports last year said that he didn't immediately refuse Hockey Canada for the 2017 tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Indeed. I don't expect Couture. If San Jose falls out of contention I would watch to see what Burns does. Burns is on record that he likes this tournament (though he thinks that it is too long) and reports last year said that he didn't immediately refuse Hockey Canada for the 2017 tournament.

ya I know Coutour has the Jerome Iginla Drew Doughty disdain for this tournament...but despite his too cool for school attitude, I'll include him until there's a better option.
Burns would be terrific on D. I hope he brings Pickles with him.

Last edited:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Maybe ban nhl-players in oly games will change Couture /Daughty decision.
Everything is possible. Maybe Vlasic tells him how interesting this tournament is

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Burns really loved IIHF Worlds)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
ya I know Coutour has the Jerome Iginla Drew Doughty disdain for this tournament...but despite his too cool for school attitude, I'll include him until there's a better option.
Burns would be terrific on D. I hope he brings Pickles with him.

Vlasic seems to be the biggest booster for international hockey among Canadian defencemen.

Maybe ban nhl-players in oly games will change Couture /Daughty decision.
Everything is possible. Maybe Vlasic tells him how interesting this tournament is

The prospect of no NHLers in the Olympics (and probably no 2020 World Cup) will only hurt Canadian participation at the IIHF World Championships. If there is no Olympic reward for participation and good performance at this tournament then the incentive to participate is at least somewhat reduced.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
From the Habs roster, I could see Gallagher going. Team Canada considered him at the last World Cup. Maybe Drouin but I wouldnt count on it. Price could recover in time to go but it's a long shot.

I like the idea of Kevin Poulin and Maxim Noreau getting invitation.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
From the Habs roster, I could see Gallagher going. Team Canada considered him at the last World Cup. Maybe Drouin but I wouldnt count on it. Price could recover in time to go but it's a long shot.

I like the idea of Kevin Poulin and Maxim Noreau getting invitation.

I`m take Barzal/Horvat over Noreau)

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Noreau, Mat Robinson and Chris Lee could all get looks on defense.

NHL D have to adapt to the wider ice, especially when playing odd man rushes. These guys all showed they can hack it on big ice.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There's nothing wrong with taking a European based player on defence. Canada struggles to get decent defencemen at this tournament and for instance I'd much rather have Lee again than a guy like Bieksa who is so poorly suited to international hockey. I would obviously rather take a good young defenceman, but Canada doesn't always get those. The European based defencemen at least know the ice and can provide practical input for the young guys on the team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
There's nothing wrong with taking a European based player on defence. Canada struggles to get decent defencemen at this tournament and for instance I'd much rather have Lee again than a guy like Bieksa who is so poorly suited to international hockey. I would obviously rather take a good young defenceman, but Canada doesn't always get those. The European based defencemen at least know the ice and can provide practical input for the young guys on the team.

looks as though the standings were given a bit of a shake last night with NJD falling into a WC spot. with that most certainly comes a 1st.rd. exit...
and with Hall having an incredible year, I'll gladly give the I'm too cool for school Logan Couture the boot in favor of a Hall-Ebs reunion. I'm not sure if I would want a rookie center (Barzal) in between those two. have to think about that one with my morning coffee.

Ya, after 3 cups of coffee and careful consideration I'd do

Hall-McDavid-Bailey

Schwartz Barzal Eberle.

Huberdeau with Nate and Horvat.

Now let's talk about who's going to be the coach. Coach Q?

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
looks as though the standings were given a bit of a shake last night with NJD falling into a WC spot. with that most certainly comes a 1st.rd. exit...
and with Hall having an incredible year, I'll gladly give the I'm too cool for school Logan Couture the boot in favor of a Hall-Ebs reunion. I'm not sure if I would want a rookie center (Barzal) in between those two. have to think about that one with my morning coffee.

Ya, after 3 cups of coffee and careful consideration I'd do

Hall-McDavid-Bailey

Schwartz Barzal Eberle.

Huberdeau with Nate and Horvat.

Now let's talk about who's going to be the coach. Coach Q?

Pretty optimistic group of forwards. I wouldn't turn my nose at it. As for the coach, there aren't a lot of great options. Quenneville would get hired if he wants it, but I doubt he does at this point in his career. McLellan and Peters would both be fine options to bring in, though with McLellan's situation in Edmonton that might not be feasible. John Stevens is a coach that I like, but he has pretty much zero international experience to the best of my knowledge.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Pretty optimistic group of forwards. I wouldn't turn my nose at it. As for the coach, there aren't a lot of great options. Quenneville would get hired if he wants it, but I doubt he does at this point in his career. McLellan and Peters would both be fine options to bring in, though with McLellan's situation in Edmonton that might not be feasible. John Stevens is a coach that I like, but he has pretty much zero international experience to the best of my knowledge.

I'm hoping for Coach Q. as for McLellan, he took the 2015 assignment right after being fired from the SJ gig. So, we'll see. We should land a good one either way. If Stevens can drag Doughty along, I'm all for it. screw lack of international experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->