WC: Team Canada Roster Thread 2021

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I feel like this wagon is gonna get a little more full boys!!!
I got a front seat on the "bandwagon" because today's game is the first I've watched - and I mean the Fin/Germany game.

TBH, I don't really care. This tournament is TOO LONG and it drags. Still, it feels good to win.

Not sure what the odds are but I think losing the first game to the Fins will work to our advantage. Plus, this team feels destined.

Again, we'll see, and I'll get up to watch. Good luck to Canada.

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
For a country that "struggles on the big ice" Canada has now made the finals in 5 of the last 6 championships.:rolleyes:

Go Canada go

Oh that crap is just rubbish, more time to adjust? sure, always struggles?...............just straight baloney. Amazing that foolishness still persists today.

I think this still holds some ground. Allow me to explain. I will just give an example in terms of best-on-best tournaments, as I am too lazy to dig up similar results for the IIHF WC tournaments. If you think how many times a team outside of Canada has won when games have played on NHL sized rink - I can only think of two examples: 1981 Canada Cup and USA in 1996 (World Cup of Hockey). So it seems when the games are played on NHL sized rinks it seems like it is almost guaranteed for Canada to win. Actually kinda pathetic performance for the rest of the world, when you think about it.

Now, if we take the best-on-best tournaments to bigger ice - that's we start to seeing more winners from other countries as well (e.g. Czech Republic, Sweden). So I think from purely statistically speaking, when playing on small ice = Canada (or USA) is almost guaranteed to win. Play on big ice= at least some chance for other countries as well.

Obviously most likely it can be various reasons for this - e.g. in this year's IIHF tournament Canada started very slowly, maybe it was the jet lag or players adjusting to big ice again, similar observations can be made for the big ice.

And for the record, nobody is denying Canada's supremacy - they could easily ice 5-6 competitive teams, while other countries are lucky if they are able to get 1-2 teams.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canada's top 10 scorers (including top 2 in tournament)

upload_2021-6-5_15-15-38.png

Finlands top 10 (Lundell is 12th in tournament scoring)

upload_2021-6-5_15-17-2.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Canada's top 3 guys have 34 points.... Finlands top 10 has 40 points.

Put another way... Canada's top 5 (41 points) has more points than Finlands top 10.

No idea who will win... it'll be very close.

Just hoping people are realizing at THIS tournmanet that the best scorers are from Canada.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
@Czechboy doing yeoman's work.

If Canada wins tomorrow and Mangiapane has himself a game, he probably gets tournament MVP.

HF tournament MVP goes to @Czechboy
If they win.. him or maybe Kuemper. I know he had a brutal start but he's been big the last 2 games.

If Finn's win.. their goalie has to win it. I know they have tremendous teamplay around him but he is damn good!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think this still holds some ground. Allow me to explain. I will just give an example in terms of best-on-best tournaments, as I am too lazy to dig up similar results for the IIHF WC tournaments. If you think how many times a team outside of Canada has won when games have played on NHL sized rink - I can only think of two examples: 1981 Canada Cup and USA in 1996 (World Cup of Hockey). So it seems when the games are played on NHL sized rinks it seems like it is almost guaranteed for Canada to win. Actually kinda pathetic performance for the rest of the world, when you think about it.

Now, if we take the best-on-best tournaments to bigger ice - that's we start to seeing more winners from other countries as well (e.g. Czech Republic, Sweden). So I think from purely statistically speaking, when playing on small ice = Canada (or USA) is almost guaranteed to win. Play on big ice= at least some chance for other countries as well.

Obviously most likely it can be various reasons for this - e.g. in this year's IIHF tournament Canada started very slowly, maybe it was the jet lag or players adjusting to big ice again, similar observations can be made for the big ice.

And for the record, nobody is denying Canada's supremacy - they could easily ice 5-6 competitive teams, while other countries are lucky if they are able to get 1-2 teams.
I get your point but some(a lot actually) European fans seem to think we struggle on it always and one look at our victories on it at all levels should be enough to silence even a casual fan about that theory.You are kind of bringing up a different thing here. Hell, some were pointing out that if we don't have star players we can never win on it yet here we are again in the gold medal game on big ice and this team doesn't have a single star on it. Before Salt lake european fans were saying we couldn't win an olympic gold on big ice and then we did it so they changed the goalposts again this time saying we could only do it on north american soil (some were even throwing in that it wasn't quite exact iihf dimensions) so along comes sochi, where they put on a clinic on the exact international ice dimensions right in Europe. Now european fans are left with what? because they always seem to have to have something........................and here it is, smoke and mirrors on overall results compared to big ice vs small ice despite the fact that we have won plenty on big ice and have a chance to do it again tomorrow.

You can make a claim that there is a bigger adjustment for Canadian teams on big ice and because of that won't get the same degree results they get on small ice (and for obvious reasons, they don't grow up on it, along with other reasons too) but this myth that they are naturally subpar big ice hockey players that need 10 wayne gretzkys and bobby orrs to ever have a hope of winning gold on it, that's utter horseshit and just plain european arrogance. Well it's not even arrogance really, it's just jealousy and hatred at our RESULTS period, on small or big ice, they hate us because they ain't us and that's the bottom line.

But it's all they have left now, but it's so small and has such little merit that I just don't see why a single fan there clings to this flimsy last little straw. It's in the same vein as some dinosaur fans who think Canadians always have bigger heart and european players are softer.

all I can suggest to you is not to be one of those dinosaurs or you are going to be left behind. I bet the coaches and players of the european teams don't hold this view that so many european fans seem to persist in. Honestly, it just makes European fans look petty and out of touch in this day and age.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I just watched the 2nd period of the game and Canada was the better team. It's too bad the 3rd goal was called back - so close to being missed, but it was offside.

Last edited:

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
addition of Mangiapane has turned Canada around, other players also started performing better, but do we say even Gallant had something to do with it? If they coach weren't Gallant, but some random AHL coach, would they do the same?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Full credit to this team. On paper one of the worst rosters you'll see Canada table at this event. Strong coaching, found some luck, came together, and beat every top team through to the gold.

Congratulations to everyone involved!

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Full credit to this team. On paper one of the worst rosters you'll see Canada table at this event. Strong coaching, found some luck, came together, and beat every top team through to the gold.

Congratulations to everyone involved!
I thought this team would be lucky to make it to the QF. On paper, it was one of the worst rosters Canada had ever sent for this tournament. I had not watched a single game, except for the last two. Great feeling to win a Gold Medal with this roster. Darcy Kuemper looked like Patrick Roy at times. His stock went up big time after this tournament. Very proud of these players.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They win because they have by far the best players in those tournaments. It looks like you just got interested in this WC one hour ago (since that is when you expressed your surprise about the roster even though it's been known for a week) so sorry but you really aren't someone who should be judging the takes when it comes to international tournaments.

NA teams struggle on the big ice, especially early in the tournaments. It's nothing new, it's obvious and it's natural.
You were wrong about everything, as were a few others who came in here with your "facts" doing nothing more but looking to stir up shit. . But that was never in doubt to anyone who has a real clue.

You were made to look like you had just started watching international hockey this past 2 weeks.

Completely Schooled in 2 short weeks, it was a pleasure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad