Team Canada Report Card - Defense/Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Goalies

Jeff Glass A-
People were questioning him going into the World Juniors, people were questioning going into the final game but the truth is, Jeff Glass came through. He did his job and that was not to win the tournament, but to be sure not to lose it. He was solid, though completely untested in the Round Robin and Semi-Finals. In the final, he was tested a lot early. You can say that it was 6-1, he didn't need to be good but he made several outstanding saves early in the game with Canada leading. He was especially sharp on the 5 on 3 that Canada faced early in the game making a few stops in close. I think that if one of those pucks go in, the game might not have ended up with such a convincing Canada win. Glass got an A- because he did his job and was solid when called upon. He didn't face enough rubber to get any higher but went about his business so well that I gave him the A-.

Rejean Beauchemin B+
Pretty hard to give this guy a grade but he did his job. His only action game against a German team that had maybe one scoring chance in the entire game. Nonetheless, a shutouts a shutout and he seemed to carry a good attitude seeing as being a backup goalie is not a really easy thing to do.

Defensemen

Dion Phaneuf A
Canada's defense was the reason they won the tournament and Phaneuf really stepped up. Along with Shea Weber, Phaneuf formed the most dominant pair in the World Juniors, no question. Phaneuf dished out a few of his trademark hits, but also took a bit of punishment of his own. He scored a few goals from the point with his huge slapshot and was arguably the best player on this Canadian team, next to Bergeron maybe. He logged so many minutes in this tournament it was incredible. The Flames sure got themselves a good one at 9th overall.

Shea Weber A-
Paired with Phaneuf, Weber dished out his fair sure of hits. He didn't register a single point in the tournament but was awesome defensively and physically. He played a great all-round game in terms of making a good first pass and was very steady at the back. By the third period, most teams were scared to go on the ice when these two were out there.

Braydon Coburn B-
He was expected to play in the top 4 of Canada's blueline and did. He did not stand out but I think he is most effective when he doesn't. Despite getting beat a few times one-on-one, Coburn did his job very successfully. I would have liked to see him use his size more and play a more physical game.

Brent Seabrook B
After injuring his shoulder in Canada's selection camp Seabrook regrouped and played a few pretty decent games. You could tell that he wasn't at 100% but gave it his all out there, and I give the guy a lot of credit for that. He also brought a lot of experience to the Canadian lineup and was a great asset on the power-play even with his bad shoulder.

Shawn Belle A-
This guy was probably the most improved player from last year, although last year he was pretty decent. A great combination of speed and strength. He's built like a horse and played a pretty intelligent game all tournament long, much more defensively responsible than he was last year. I can definitely see this guy being a solid NHL defensemen, there really isn't one part of his game that is a major downfall. He really stepped up when called upon, especially when Seabrook and Barker were out of the lineup.

Danny Syvret B-
This is another player who was thrust into a larger role than expected with the injuries that Canada had along the blueline. He made several excellent passes and played a sound, steady game. His defensive play will definitely have to improve if he will play in the NHL but was nonetheless a strong fixture in the Canadian blueline. With all the defensive minded players they had at the back, an offensive presence with Syvret was a welcomed addition.

Cam Barker B-
Unfortunately he went down with mono late in the tournament but was an offensive presence when he did play, especially on the power play. He seemed to play decently defensively althuogh not spectacularly. He'll be able to take consolation in the fact that he'll be back next year, barring him playing pro. Chances are, he will be Canada's best player next year and will need to carry on the tradition.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Andrew_11 said:
Goalies

Jeff Glass A-
You can say that it was 6-1, he didn't need to be good but he made several outstanding saves early in the game with Canada leading. He was especially sharp on the 5 on 3 that Canada faced early in the game making a few stops in close. I think that if one of those pucks go in, the game might not have ended up with such a convincing Canada win.

I agree. He really made the difference in the early going. The russian goalies sucked in a few relatively soft goals, and that was too much: Team Russia imploded. If Glass had allowed similar softies, the Russians might have gotten an early lead of lets say 3-2 and who knows how to game would have gone from there. Kudos to Glass!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad