Team Canada Line Combos you'd like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
What are some line combos you'd like to see for Team Canada at the WC? I've got a few.

Smyth-Thornton-St Louis
-This line has EVERYTHING. Grit and net crashing with Smyth, a great mix of stregnth, finesse, playmaking and scoring with Thornton, and speed and moves with St Louis. They're all great finishers too.

Smyth-Sakic-Iginla
-Sakic and Iginla are great together. Smyth adds grit.

Heatley-Sakic-Iginla
-Just a pure, deadly scoring line.

Doan-Richards-St Louis
-Chemistry will be important, and Richy and Marty have it. Doan is a solid all around player.

Well I guess my dream power forward line of Iginla-Thornton-Bertuzzi won't be becoming a reality :(

Maltby-Draper-Morrow
-A GREAT grinding line that can kill penalties.

As far as defence, I'd like to see Jovo and Regehr together, or Regehr and Niedermayer. I think if you mix Regehr's tough, stay-at-home style with Nieds' or Jovo's offensive ability, it would make for a great duo.

Thoughts?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
personally, i want to see 2 lines at some point in the tournament.

i think a line of Richards, Sakic, Healtey would be incredible. arguably (very very arguably) the 3 best shots in the tournament on the same line

also Morrow, Thornton, Iginla would be a punishing line. pitty bertuzzi couldnt make it to take the left wing spot, but that's ok

additionally, we should kidnap simon gagne and replace him with lecavalier. and have lecavalier, lemieux, smyth

for defense, i'd like to keep blake and foot together. and then have niedermayer and pronger. and mix-and-match the final 4 defensemen depending on the opponent

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Knucklez said:
As far as defence, I'd like to see Jovo and Regehr together, or Regehr and Niedermayer. I think if you mix Regehr's tough, stay-at-home style with Nieds' or Jovo's offensive ability, it would make for a great duo.

I agree with what you are saying about Regehr. I think putting him with Scott Neidermyer would be absolutely perfect.

My forward lines:

Smyth - Sakic - Iginla
Lemieux - Richards - St. Louis
Gagne - Thornton - Heatley
Doan - Draper - Yzerman

I think the first line has all the elements and will be a threat at all times.
Lemieux , IMO, will really help calm Richards and St. Louis and those 3 will flow beautifully.
Gagne adds speed for Thornton and Heatley, who arent fast but dominate physicaly.
The last line is the best checking line possible, who will add some key offence.

Burnaby_Joe*

Gagne Sakic Iginla
Lemieux Thornton Heatley
Smyth Marleau St.Louis
Morrow Draper Yzerman

Niedermayer Foote
Jovanovski Blake
Pronger Redden

Brodeur

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Doan, Draper, and Maltby will almost assuredly be together. The only reason Draper and Maltby were selected was due to their incredible chemistry with eachother and with Shane Doan.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I would love to see St. Louis and Mario on the same line.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
St.Louis Lemieux Iginla
Smyth Sakic Heatley
Gagne Thorton Yzerman
Doan Draper Maltby

Niedermayer Pronger
Foote Blake
Jovo Redden

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Iginla Sakic Gagné
Heatley Lemieux St.Louis
Richards Thornton Yzerman
Doan Draper Smyth

Regehr Niedermayer
Blake Pronger
Leopold Jovo
Redden Foote

Brodeur

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
St.Louis Lemieux Heatley -> Just ouch. I think Heatley can still learn a lot from Mario, Kinda like how Mario learned from Gretz in the 87 Canada Cup. Pass along the wisedom to the next gen of great Canadian talent

Smyth Sakic Iginla -> Sakic and Iggy played great in 2002, Smyth adds a presence in front of the net.

Gagne Thorton Yzerman -> Not sure how these guys would gel, but it has all the pieces

Doan Draper Maltby - >grind line

Niedermayer Brewer - > played great together in the World Championships
Pronger Blake -> What can't they do?
Jovo Redden -> Both have the ability to jump up into the play and are smart
enough to not both do it at the same time

Brodeur - > is there a question really?
Luongo -> If Brodeur gets hurt he is a fine backup.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Richards Sakic Iginla
Lemieux Thornton Heatley
Smyth Marleau St Louis
Maltby Draper Doan
Gagne Yserman Morrow

I love this first line Richards can dish like crazy him with Sakic and Iggy would be magic.

Second line all size skill and finesse the defense would have an incredibly hard time containing this line..

Third line all speed and guts all three of these guys can fly and go to the danger areas to get goals. Very creative potential on this line.

4th line pure checkers here folks they will grind the other teams top lines into submission. A little pop to keep the defenders weary.

5th line has a little everything speed skill grit leadership any of these guys can fill in for an injury properly on any of the 4 first lines.

Defense

Pronger Blake
Redden Niedermayer
Jovanovski Foote
Regher Brewer

D Pair 1 devistation size toughness power skill they have it all.

D pair 2 pure puck controll these two can thread the needle the other team will have to be aware of forwards deep at the far blue line. Very positionally sound these two not big hitters but wont get caught.

D pair 3 these two compliment each other beautifully both are smash mouth defensmen one is tremendous defensively and one is great at joining the rush no fun to play against these two.

D Pair 4 Great depth guys can play the smash mouth game and can fill into the top 6 if an injury occurs no prolblem.

Brodeur
Luongo
Belfore

I dont think we have to say much here.

These are the lines and team I would have went with.

Richards Sakic Iginla
Bertuzzi Thornton Heatley
Lemieux Lecavalier St Louis
Madden Primeau Doan
Smyth Marleau Yserman

Love the D would but would have deleted Brewer for McCabe

no complaints on the goaltenders.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Heatley Thornton St Louis
Richards Sakic Iginla
Lemieux Marleau Gagne
Doan Draper Smyth/Yzerman

Blake Foote
Niedermayer Regher
Pronger Jovo

Brodeur

They might as well hand over the gold medal to us now! :yo:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Gagné - Sakic - Iginla
Lemieux - Richards - Heatley
Maltby - Draper - Doan
Smyth - Thornton - St-Louis

Foote - Blake
Regehr - Niedermayer
Pronger - Jovanovski

Brodeur
Belfour
Luongo

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla is pratically already in stone
Maltby-Draper-Doan...that is set in stone, but....maybe they'll think of something really cool that I dont even know about

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Brendan Morrow - Joe Thornton - Dany Heatly
Simon Gagne - Joe Sakic - Jarome Iginla
Martin St. Louis - Brad Richards - Mario Lemieux
Kirk Maltby - Kris Draper - Shane Doan

Ryan Smyth - Steve Yzerman - Patrick Marleau

Rob Blake - Adam Foote
Scott Niedermayer - Ed Jovanovski
Wade Redden - Chris Pronger

Eric Brewer - Robyn Regher

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo

Ed Belfour

Only can dress 20 players including the goaltenders, so there are going to be 6 guys every game that will not be playing. I can't see Mario playing all the games and who knows what injuries will come up between now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->