Team Canada If Named Today Would Include Lindros and Allison

Status
Not open for further replies.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Listen, you put guys like Thornton on 3rd/4th line, that's just going to happen when you got so many skilled players to choose from. So I don't get that argument. And surely you think that Thornton is better than Allison just like you said, why didn't you have a problem with him grinding it out in the World Cup last year?

Thornton's game has more dimensions than Allison's so I don't have a problem with him grinding it out. Lecavalier and Sakic led us in scoring so we didn't really need Joe to focus on offense... at least not in that tournament. If something like that happens again, with Lecavalier playing like an MVP, Sakic doing his thing, and Thornton grinding it out, that leaves no room for Allison. Could he have won Lecavalier's MVP?

And like someone else said, there are other reasons to choose other guys over Allison. Youth, for example... Allison has no place on future Team Canadas, so why not put in guys like Lecavalier, Richards and Spezza, who are pretty much on par with Allison right now and will be able to gain experience for future tournaments? I'd rather put CROSBY over Allison, even. He can skate and will probably be a fixture on Team Canada for years to come.

Allison's a great player, but he's from the wrong country if he wants to earn a spot on an Olympic team.

Dar

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Please let it be noted BTW, that 90% of the threads that 'Pappy' starts are created for the sole purpose of creating controversy, which he does quite well I might add as evidenced here.

The majority though, typically have Leafs fans up in arms on our own board. This is a rarity.

Brad*

Master of Puppets said:
'Bout damn time Hockey Canada actually paid attention to Bryan McCabe.
The chances of him making the final roster are quite slim, IMO.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
LPHabsFan said:
Holy crap there are atleast 5 players who have earned their spot on the team allready ahead of Lindros at center and right wing alone. I'll give you that he's played pretty damn good so far but it's only been 6 games. And seriously, big **** they won 9 - 1 and Allison had a good game. Wow. So did O'neill, he had a hattrick, he should captain the National Team now. As far as guys ahead of him at center who are locks if healthy:

Sakic, Lecavalier, Thornton, Richards, Draper, Yzerman, Lemiuex

Guys who are ahead him based on youth, skill, potential etc...

Spezza, Bergeron, Crosby, Savard, Marleau

And since he can probably play right wing as well here are the right wingers ahead of him.

St. Louis, Heatley, Bertuzzi, Smyth, Iginla,
And if you want to maybe have the slim chance that he can play lw....

Doan, Gagne (based on international experience and a kickass start to the season), Nash

And some of the guys named above can play two positions and I haven't even gotten into the guys like Sullivan and Kariya who are having great seasons so far. Even Walker and Peca (atleast for Peca based on being there before) and Tanguay who always gets snubbed. You wanna try and make a case for defense now too?

Author's Note - In no way shape or form is the order of the players indicative of the quality of player I percieve them to be or the depth chart. And I am probably even missing some players too.

Exactly. To say that after six games player X deserves a spot is idiotic. I'm guessing 90% of the roster is already deceided, as you pointed out. Barring miraculous performances (not politics) there will be few changes.

As some have pointed, and I agree, the Leaf with the best chance of making team Canada is McCabe. But again, the D corps is probably 90% made up and there will be fierce competition for those spots. There is simply too much depth (both on offence and defence) for an above average performance to be rewarded. You have to be a clear standout and though I believe McCabe is a good defenceman, the chances of him making it are slim imo, but I see them as higher than Lindros or Allison.

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
Master of Puppets said:
'Bout damn time Hockey Canada actually paid attention to Bryan McCabe.

On the big ice surface...mobility and speed are things you need.

McCabe doesn't have any of these assets.

Chris Phillips has a better chance of making the team than McCabe does because of the fact that Phillips can actually skate.

McCabe should switch to a forward position...he'll have a better chance of making the team that way because he can't play "D" to save his live...especially on the big ice.

Verbal Kint*

Brad said:
The chances of him making the final roster are quite slim, IMO.
True perhaps but to see them give him any sort of recognition for one is nice.

And I think perhaps we can salvage this thread to thry and establish just who could be those extra 23.

Sullivan, Lindros, McCabe, Crosby, Kariya, Staal, Savard, Murray, Briere, Bouchard, Spezza, Morris, would be my bets (I can't seem to find Hannan being on the team either, who'd also be one of my picks).

Also, I wonder if they're also adding a goalie, in which case one would wonder if Belfour, Raycroft, Roloson or Giguere could be getting the call.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Mackattack said:
Way too early to start speculating this... you might aswell throw Steve Sullivan and Marc Savard's name in there.
If you look at career totals and and stuff, I think you could actually make a case for both, especially on the international ice.

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
therealdeal said:
If you look at career totals and and stuff, I think you could actually make a case for both, especially on the international ice.

Sullivan for sure...Savard still needs to prove that he's not a flash in the pan. What I mean is that he's streaky. When he's hot...he's unbeatable, but when he's cold...he's like Smolinski on a good day.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
SensGod said:
Sullivan for sure...Savard still needs to prove that he's not a flash in the pan. What I mean is that he's streaky. When he's hot...he's unbeatable, but when he's cold...he's like Smolinski on a good day.

That could be true, all I know is that for like the past 9 months of active hockey that he's played he has been better than a PPG, so not too shabby if you ask me.

And also, at this point he's still +4 on Atlanta, thats amazing considering they've lost their last 3 games by a total of 16-2.

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
therealdeal said:
And also, at this point he's still +4 on Atlanta, thats amazing considering they've lost their last 3 games by a total of 16-2.

It's not that hard to not be on the ice when the opposition scores. Atlanta has one good line...and he's on it.

Just because the other 3 lines in Atlanta suck doens't mean that he's a god or anything.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
shakes said:
Right. Lindros and Allison have been lucky. :shakehead What's next? Forsberg's just average because he hasn't scored any goals?

On another note, why would any Leaf fan want these guys on the olympic team. The more rest the better I say. I don't want ANY Leafs to go, but thats not about to happen and several will be going.

You guys are hilarious...it's like no one can say anything, not the slightest thing negative about any of your players...I'm not saying they suck, or they're overrated, i'm saying that they haven't impressed me as much as they have everyone else...can they do better IMO, I don't see why not...I think alot of players are adjusting to the new NHL, to both their credit, they've been able to be pretty close to dominant on the PP (I think I pointed that out too) I just think that at even strength, they've look less than convincing at times...

If you or the other Leaf fan who commented on my post can't handle that, well i'm sorry...I'm not saying they suck, they just haven't impressed me that much...

Why are you guys getting all sensitive :dunno:

Koivu and Kovalev have been good IMO, but definately not great, they can and will have to do much more...I think both Montreal's and Toronto's best players have been some of their defensman, at least consistently...you obviously fail to take notice when I say good things about Kaberle, Stanjan, Steen, Wellwood and McCabe...the minute I say 41 and 88 have been ordinary, i'm a hater...

Cry me a river.... :cry:

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Pappy said:
It would only seem appropriate that Canada's team (The Leafs) be represented.

Stop talking like a Habs fan !!

Lindros and McCabe are the ones that have a chance.

Lindros if healthy will make it .. he's a great player ..

McCabe will probably make it because Brewer is in St. Louis now.

Although I would rather that McCabe stay in Toronto and rest up, logging nearly 30 minutes a night is pretty tough.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Pappy said:
I'm sure all Canadians would endorse both Lindros and Allison being named to the Team at this time. It would only seem appropriate that Canada's team (The Leafs) be represented.
This is what gives Leaf fan's a bad name. :shakehead

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Pappy said:
Canada's team not meant to be a smart a** comment it's just a fact, when they go West it's like a Home Game for them. It's a good thing they don't play 8 games a year against their cousins from the West, because there would probably be more Lindros jersey's in the crowd than Canucks, Oilers, or Flames, it would be deflating for the players to see more Jersey's in the crowd of the enemy than their own. So it's a good thing they don't play 8 times because their poor cousins from the West wouldn't be able to gain their own identity. Things are gradualy changing and that's good for the game in Alberta and BC, I imagine a Leaf ticket is still as hard to get as a Flames,Oiler ticket in their respective markets.????

A 100% ignorant statement. Having been to games in Edmonton, we draw many more Montreal fans to the Montreal games than we do Toronto fans. And Calgary has so many jerseys in their stands, all that red makes it look like empty seats (it does! Take a look...looks kinda funny :) ).

AgentNaslund*

McCabe wont make the team. The same with Lindros and Allison.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Lindros and Allison on Team Canada? What is it - an over 30 tourney?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Jag68Vlady27 said:
What a joke of a thread...

Are we going to make Team Canada lineups after EVERY week of the regular season, leading up to Turin?

What about FORMER LEAF Steve Sullivan, who was only the offensive player of the week??? What about Sid the Kid, who only has 9 points in his first 6 NHL games. Basically, every fan of every NHL team could probably make a strong argument about one of their own players making one of the big seven nations represented at the Winter Olympics.

:shakehead

Sullivan would not be a bad choice at all for the team. Far better than Allison.

Geese_Howard*

cup2006sensrule said:
Sullivan would not be a bad choice at all for the team. Far better than Allison.

your just asking to start trouble you troll

Geese_Howard*

SensGod said:
On the big ice surface...mobility and speed are things you need.

McCabe doesn't have any of these assets.

Chris Phillips has a better chance of making the team than McCabe does because of the fact that Phillips can actually skate.

McCabe should switch to a forward position...he'll have a better chance of making the team that way because he can't play "D" to save his live...especially on the big ice.

your on crack and know nothing about our players, stop speaking about them.

:shakehead

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Geese_Howard said:
your just asking to start trouble you troll

I'm not trolling at all. I think Sullivan is a heck of a hockey player and would be awesome on the Big Ice. And after watching Allison play this year I don't think he can be one of the 13 forwards to play for Team Canada. I didn't say Allison sucks, I said he is not a good choice to be on Team Canada. Lindros I would consider if he is healthy and plays as well as he has so far this season.

You are acting like a troll posting neg on anyone who doesn't think Leaf players are the second coming of Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe.

Sullivan has been pretty good since he was let go on Waivers? Hasn't he?

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
Allison is one of my favorite players, and I honestly believe that at 100% health he could be a top 10 scorer in the league, but I wouldn't pick him for the olympics. Big ice, different style ... he's not the right fit.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Ziggy Stardust said:
If there was to be a single NHL team to represent Canada, wouldn't it be best to select a franchise with a history of winning? The Montreal Canadiens with their 24 Stanley Cups and their legendary list of players seems to hold something to be more proud of than the Maple Leafs franchise.

those French Catholics? please...... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->