pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
The thread is misleading.It makes the statement like it is a fact.Mods should
lock or change title.

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
Ismellofhockey said:
Yeah...politics...right...

But "Canada's team" MUST be represented! get Lindros and Allison in there at all costs, politics begone!
What place do living legends have on Team Canada anyway?

And who can forget the day Lindros showed his love for this country by requesting a trade from the city he was just drafted in, aaaah sweet patriotic moments like those make your heart all warm and fuzzy.

Quick! Get Savard and Sullivan in too before their streak runs cold! The time is NOW, NOW! I tell you!

Living Legends are a wonderfull thing and should be appreciated but time passess us all by, it's time for new legends to step up and bring Canada Gold that's what it's all about.

formsoldier*

Fact of the matter remains though, Allison is way better than credited for. In raw talent, he has the vision, he has the patience. He's a darn good player.

I personally always prefer playmaking centres just as Allison and the cute guy on my avatar... what's his name.. le something. Or let me put in an another way... centers where their main skill is playmaking.. such as Sundin, Forsberg, Allison, Weight, Gomez, Modano, Koivu, Thornton .. etc ... actually, when I think about it ... the better & consistent centers in the league are primarily playmakers and not scorers.

With that said: my point is I'd definitely consider him as enough skilled to play for Canada.. even if it's earlier. I'm a bit biased though (always liked Allison... even from his Washington days, hehe..)

EDIT: I forgot to mention one of the good playmaking centers: Nylander.. our homegrown Stockholmer ... damn good .. look for a big year for him and Jagr if both play the same lines/pp. Truly undervauled guy. Heja!

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Fact of the matter remains though, Allison is way better than credited for. In raw talent, he has the vision, he has the patience. He's a darn good player.

True, and you're right, he has all-world talent. But that's not enough to get him onto Team Canada. We don't need him, we have guys that can do what he does and do it better, and he is of no use to us as a checker. So he has no place on the team.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
I mean this as no reflection on the initial post, or on his chances or even my opinion of him making the Olympics, but this needs to be said.

I have been absolutely floored watching Allison play. He's exciting to watch, and honestly one of the most dynamic/fun players to watch that the Leafs have had in recent memory. I'm absolutely ashamed that I didn't get to see much of him when he was with Boston/LA, because honestly, he's an absolute treat to watch. I'd say about once a game he throws a disgusting no look pass that leaves my jaw on the floor.

formsoldier*

revolverjgw said:

True, and you're right, he has all-world talent. But that's not enough to get him onto Team Canada. We don't need him, we have guys that can do what he does and do it better, and he is of no use to us as a checker. So he has no place on the team.

Like who? Seriously, except for Mario, who can hold on the puck as Allison does? And he's still a bit rusty.

formsoldier*

Platapie said:
I mean this as no reflection on the initial post, or on his chances or even my opinion of him making the Olympics, but this needs to be said.

I have been absolutely floored watching Allison play. He's exciting to watch, and honestly one of the most dynamic/fun players to watch that the Leafs have had in recent memory. I'm absolutely ashamed that I didn't get to see much of him when he was with Boston/LA, because honestly, he's an absolute treat to watch. I'd say about once a game he throws a disgusting no look pass that leaves my jaw on the floor.

I hear you man. He did those very very often in LA. But of course when you play out in Southwestern U.S... people tend to miss it.

This guy can play and he has confidence enough which reflects in his puckhandling skills and demeanor. I was hoping the Pens would go after him since I thought Mario would play with Crosby ... buuuut... yeah.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Like who? Seriously, except for Mario, who can hold on the puck as Allison does? And he's still a bit rusty.

I don't mean the same kind of a player, I just mean superior offensive centers. Sakic and Thornton are both better than Allison. Then we have guys like Lecavalier and Richards who are champions in the NHL and internationally. We just don't need Allison. He'd be a great 1st or 2nd line center on any other international team, but not ours. We're not going to stick him on our 4th line or something.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Holy crap there are atleast 5 players who have earned their spot on the team allready ahead of Lindros at center and right wing alone. I'll give you that he's played pretty damn good so far but it's only been 6 games. And seriously, big **** they won 9 - 1 and Allison had a good game. Wow. So did O'neill, he had a hattrick, he should captain the National Team now. As far as guys ahead of him at center who are locks if healthy:

Sakic, Lecavalier, Thornton, Richards, Draper, Yzerman, Lemiuex

Guys who are ahead him based on youth, skill, potential etc...

Spezza, Bergeron, Crosby, Savard, Marleau

And since he can probably play right wing as well here are the right wingers ahead of him.

St. Louis, Heatley, Bertuzzi, Smyth, Iginla,
And if you want to maybe have the slim chance that he can play lw....

Doan, Gagne (based on international experience and a kickass start to the season), Nash

And some of the guys named above can play two positions and I haven't even gotten into the guys like Sullivan and Kariya who are having great seasons so far. Even Walker and Peca (atleast for Peca based on being there before) and Tanguay who always gets snubbed. You wanna try and make a case for defense now too?

Author's Note - In no way shape or form is the order of the players indicative of the quality of player I percieve them to be or the depth chart. And I am probably even missing some players too.

Crossroads*

417 TO MTL said:
I'm sorry, I've watched most of the Leafs games this year, and I don't share in the enthusiasm you have about Allison and Lindros...

They've both been average IMO (Lindros has shown more IMO)...they've looked great on the PP...but invisble and quite ordinary at times at even strength (especially Allison)...

6 of Allison's 8 pts have come on the PP, and he's a -2 or -3...Lindros at times has showed all he can do, but for the most part has been in the right place at the right time to score goals, timely one's I agree and he deserves credit for that...but that doesn't mean either of them have been unstoppable, not even close

I can name you alot of has beens who've been great at the WJHC's and haven't done squat in the NHL, what Allison did at the WJC's more than a decade ago, has no bearing on his place with the Canadian team for 2006...

They have both been average? Jesus, they have been dominant whenever they are the ice- leading their lines and setting up and potting goals.

Don't under-rate them. . . as much as you may want to see them fail, they are far from average.

Unbiased and objective? My ***.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I do think that Eric Lindros may have an outside shot at making the team if he's able to remain healthy. The problem is, as was talked about constantly since the signings, what is the probability of Lindros actually staying healthy? That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Lindros is at least on the radar.

Brad*

Pappy said:
It would only seem appropriate that Canada's team (The Leafs) be represented.
That's not a valid argument. Playing for Maple Leafs should, and probably does, mean absolute jack squat to those who pick the roster for Team Canada. The only place in which people think of the Toronto Maple Leafs as Canada's team is Toronto and the surrounding area. How do I know this? Simple. How could the Maple Leafs be "Canada's team" when the Leafs' are by far the most hated team in the NHL, and by far the most hated team amongst the other Canadian teams? It's not possible. If they were to be "Canada's team," that's implying that the entire nation as a whole has a connection to the them. They don't. Just reading these boards can tell me that.

Beyond that, Lindros will not play his way on to the team Canada roster based on six games. The selection committee will look at Eric's entire season up until the time in which team's are selected. That's a long way to go. Lindros could play the rest of the season like he's played so far, but then again he struggle, or worse yet, get injured. You never know. The bottom line is saying things like, "Player-x would make Team Canada Today" are silly. It's not being named today. Perhaps if it was, Eric Staal would be the first line center and Yan Danis would be the starter, based on some menial early season numbers. Lindros will have to make the team just like everyone else, based on sustained play, not a few games early in the season, and certainly not because he plays in Toronto.

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
The Nemesis said:
Sorry, you lost me as soon as you proclaimed the Leafs as Canada's team.

And it's far too early to be deciding who makes the team and who doesn't.

Canada's team not meant to be a smart a** comment it's just a fact, when they go West it's like a Home Game for them. It's a good thing they don't play 8 games a year against their cousins from the West, because there would probably be more Lindros jersey's in the crowd than Canucks, Oilers, or Flames, it would be deflating for the players to see more Jersey's in the crowd of the enemy than their own. So it's a good thing they don't play 8 times because their poor cousins from the West wouldn't be able to gain their own identity. Things are gradualy changing and that's good for the game in Alberta and BC, I imagine a Leaf ticket is still as hard to get as a Flames,Oiler ticket in their respective markets.????

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
There will be a lot of competition for those roster spots. I personally don't think he will be there. Either he'll be hurt, won't keep pace, hasn't impressed me that much from the 2 Leaf's games I've watched, or all of the above.

He sucked in Salt Lake City.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
LPHabsFan said:
Holy crap there are atleast 5 players who have earned their spot on the team allready ahead of Lindros at center and right wing alone. I'll give you that he's played pretty damn good so far but it's only been 6 games. And seriously, big **** they won 9 - 1 and Allison had a good game. Wow. So did O'neill, he had a hattrick, he should captain the National Team now. As far as guys ahead of him at center who are locks if healthy:

Sakic, Lecavalier, Thornton, Richards, Draper, Yzerman, Lemiuex

Guys who are ahead him based on youth, skill, potential etc...

Spezza, Bergeron, Crosby, Savard, Marleau

And since he can probably play right wing as well here are the right wingers ahead of him.

St. Louis, Heatley, Bertuzzi, Smyth, Iginla,
And if you want to maybe have the slim chance that he can play lw....

Doan, Gagne (based on international experience and a kickass start to the season), Nash

And some of the guys named above can play two positions and I haven't even gotten into the guys like Sullivan and Kariya who are having great seasons so far. Even Walker and Peca (atleast for Peca based on being there before) and Tanguay who always gets snubbed. You wanna try and make a case for defense now too?

Author's Note - In no way shape or form is the order of the players indicative of the quality of player I percieve them to be or the depth chart. And I am probably even missing some players too.

Very nice summary.

You could also add to this list: Briere, G.Murray, B.Morrison, Primeau, Fisher, Maltby, M.Richards

The odds that Lindros and Allison make Team Canada are remote. Heck, if Canada could field a 2nd team, they may not even make that team. Canada is blessed with a ton of talented forwards.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
Canada's team not meant to be a smart a** comment it's just a fact

I would suggest that the thread is contentious enough without you making a flawed argument about the Leafs being Canada's team. Insofar as I can tell, and you can feel free to correct me, Canada's team is aptly called Team Canada, and they have a Leaf on their jersey of a different colour-- I can see where the confusion arises.

You may argue that the Leafs are the most popular team in Canada (population wise I feel that's a safe argument), but that is about all, and it says little.

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
Platapie said:
I would suggest that the thread is contentious enough without you making a flawed argument about the Leafs being Canada's team. Insofar as I can tell, and you can feel free to correct me, Canada's team is aptly called Team Canada, and they have a Leaf on their jersey of a different colour-- I can see where the confusion arises.

You may argue that the Leafs are the most popular team in Canada (population wise I feel that's a safe argument), but that is about all, and it says little.

Perhaps I should say that my view's are probably more appropriate for Canadians over 50 or Canadians who have been in Canada for a period of 50 years or more. They only knew the TML's as Canada's (English Speaking) team and old habits are hard to break. I'm sure many of you who are fans of other Canadian teams that your Parents or Grandparents were ardent Maple Leaf or Canadiens fans, I know the Sutter's father Louis was always a Leaf fan even when his boys played for other Teams.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If there was to be a single NHL team to represent Canada, wouldn't it be best to select a franchise with a history of winning? The Montreal Canadiens with their 24 Stanley Cups and their legendary list of players seems to hold something to be more proud of than the Maple Leafs franchise.

MacB

Oct 17, 2005
Allison and Mario are too slow to make the team. Yzerman on the other hand....

formsoldier*

revolverjgw said:

I don't mean the same kind of a player, I just mean superior offensive centers. Sakic and Thornton are both better than Allison. Then we have guys like Lecavalier and Richards who are champions in the NHL and internationally. We just don't need Allison. He'd be a great 1st or 2nd line center on any other international team, but not ours. We're not going to stick him on our 4th line or something.

Lecavalier is a scorer, a highly talented one, but he doesn't put in anything original to the roster the way Allison does. Richards I do understand, but then again, he has to keep proving himself again since he's young, I didn't like his play all that much during the World Cup. He looked shaky at times.

Listen, you put guys like Thornton on 3rd/4th line, that's just going to happen when you got so many skilled players to choose from. So I don't get that argument. And surely you think that Thornton is better than Allison just like you said, why didn't you have a problem with him grinding it out in the World Cup last year? And don't forget that Sakic also can play LW during international contests. And I'm not arguing the fact that Allison is better than a certain somebody.... I just pointed out his unique ability.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
I'm sorry, I've watched most of the Leafs games this year, and I don't share in the enthusiasm you have about Allison and Lindros...

They've both been average IMO (Lindros has shown more IMO)...they've looked great on the PP...but invisble and quite ordinary at times at even strength (especially Allison)...

6 of Allison's 8 pts have come on the PP, and he's a -2 or -3...Lindros at times has showed all he can do, but for the most part has been in the right place at the right time to score goals, timely one's I agree and he deserves credit for that...but that doesn't mean either of them have been unstoppable, not even close

Right. Lindros and Allison have been lucky. :shakehead What's next? Forsberg's just average because he hasn't scored any goals?

On another note, why would any Leaf fan want these guys on the olympic team. The more rest the better I say. I don't want ANY Leafs to go, but thats not about to happen and several will be going.

formsoldier*

Pappy said:
it would be deflating for the players to see more Jersey's in the crowd of the enemy than their own.

Maybe part of the reason why ppl hate the Leafs are because of their fans bonehead comments.

"Enemy" ...

And this is coming from a Leaf fan (not only Leafs though).

I quote The Dude: "Walter.. Smokey, so his toe slipped over a little, hey it's just a game man"

:D

MacB

Oct 17, 2005
I think McCabe is the only Leaf that has a legitimate chance in hell of making Team Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad