WJC: Team Canada: goaltending

The Big Swede*

Cant blame the goalie really but if he would of came up with one or 2 saves that could have changed the whole game.

Sure Canada missed alot opportunities and sat on the lead but when is Canada going to get a big game goalie.I hope next year is the year.

These last two year but of our goalies choked pretty bad

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I see that it is easier to continue to throw goaltenders under the bus then it is to face up to a 20 man team's performance.

Marty's fault.

He was given a ****ing three goal lead with just 20 minutes left and barely had to make any big saves the first two periods, these comments about how we shouldn't be blaming it on Visentin too much are starting to piss me off. He simply wasn't up to the level of the play of the rest of the team, pretty much every player had some spectacular moments during the tournament except the goalies. They were never good.

Luuuuuuu

Jan 2, 2011
Gotta go with Pickard next year.

Visentin and the whole Canadian team lost there confidence and focus on there plan in the 3rd period. It was a team shutdown and a team loss.

Magnum Crackoff

Nov 14, 2006
Olivier Roy might have done better vs Russia (considering 1st game) but the fact is Roy is the same caliber as Visentin. Both would have crapped the bed in this third period. Visentin will probably be shaken for the rest of his career by this 20 minute though.

5 goals in like 12 shots?! Very bad stuff...

Some guys missed their coverage and didn't clear the puck out when they could. No help for the goalie on these ones.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Visetin HAS to make the saves on that 2nd and 5th goal. Those were just awful.

The 5th goal while he needs to make the save, is quite tough to stop. The player opened his five-hole coming across and tucked it in. I said as soon as it went in, its a lot harder of a shot to stop than it looks.

I just want to remind everyone Visentin is 18. To blame an entire loss on him is entirely unfair and as well, you learn one thing when you lose a game in a dressing room, you win and lose as a team. You don't blame the whole game on one person. The whole team is responsible for that collapse, not just Visentin himself.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I guess you didn't see the second or fifth goals.
Yup, those ones were definitely on him. Although the 5th one didn't really make much difference.

There was no coverage by anybody for most of the period though. The Russians walked around with the puck and pretty mych every Canadian was fumbling the puck in their own end. Total team collapse and Visentin wasn't able to stem the tide.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Even the second goal - yes it dribbled thru his legs - but it was a shot from 10 feet away. Where the **** were the defense?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Even the second goal - yes it dribbled thru his legs - but it was a shot from 10 feet away. Where the **** were the defense?

Yeah, the second goal was pretty bad by everyone on canada. I have more issues with vis on the 1st goal. Defense played that textbook, tarasenko made a great play and while maybe leblanc could have done something to his man, the goal was largely vis' fault.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Olivier Roy might have done better vs Russia (considering 1st game) but the fact is Roy is the same caliber as Visentin. Both would have crapped the bed in this third period. Visentin will probably be shaken for the rest of his career by this 20 minute though.

5 goals in like 12 shots?! Very bad stuff...

Some guys missed their coverage and didn't clear the puck out when they could. No help for the goalie on these ones.

The thing about Roy is he would give up bad goals, but he would also make big saves to keep games close. That's what separates the good from the mediocre, that one save that makes you think "boy, Russia might have tied it if it weren't for that save".

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Visentin and Roy are both average goaltenders. Canada never had the advantage in that department.

Phoenix with quite an off the board joke of a project pick here.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Both goalies were bad. Formerly a big strength the last two years tending has been a big weakness for the junior national team.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Ever think it's the defense that's to blame? Last season everyone was quick to jump on Jake Allen...but he's tearing up the AHL now. The defense has been less than cohesive for two years in a row.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
WJC goalies seem to let a weak goal in almost every game, which is common for 18-19 year olds.

Take a look at Canada's second one, a great shot but should not be a goal from that angle, hell Russia actually pulled their goalie.

Visentin lets in one in the third (2nd one) and a meaningless 5th one and he's to blame? Goaltending did not lose this game.

Get real.

This is coming from a huge goalie critic.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
He was given a ****ing three goal lead with just 20 minutes left and barely had to make any big saves the first two periods, these comments about how we shouldn't be blaming it on Visentin too much are starting to piss me off. He simply wasn't up to the level of the play of the rest of the team, pretty much every player had some spectacular moments during the tournament except the goalies. They were never good.

Get real. The rest of the team is much more to blame than he is. They collapsed in front of him. It's hard for goalies to be spectacular when they don't have to be. Would have you have preferred he embellish some windmill saves to make them look more difficult or spectacular? That some of the skaters had great moments prior to the final period is completely irrelevant.

Anyways, I still don't know why Anderson was cut. The guy had the best stats in camp and was just behind Visentin in the OHL rankings (not including Peters, who's ineligible and has played less than half the amount of games). I don't get the Pickard love. Just like Roy, he's nowhere near the top of his league, let alone the CHL. Why are they entertaining guys who are supposed to be or used to be good instead of playing the guys that are good?

Last edited:

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Get real. The rest of the team is much more to blame than he is. They collapsed in front of him. It's hard for goalies to be spectacular when they don't have to be. Would have you have preferred he embellish some windmill saves to make them look more difficult or spectacular? That some of the skaters had great moments prior to the final period is completely irrelevant.

Anyways, I still don't know why Anderson was cut. The guy had the best stats in camp and was just behind Visentin in the OHL rankings (not including Peters, who's ineligible and has played less than half the amount of games). I don't get the Pickard love. Just like Roy, he's nowhere near the top of his league, let alone the CHL. Why are they entertaining guys who are supposed to be or used to be good instead of playing the guys that are good?

Lol, Pickard has a higher s% then Anderson or Visentin while facing 700 more shots then either of them.

dream catcher

Apr 12, 2010
Any chance Scott Wedgewood gets invited to Canada's camp?

He made 70 saves vs. Windsor in a playoff elimination game last year as a 17 year old. And this year he is doing really well, with a 19-11 record and .915% sv percentage on an average team(Plymouth Whalers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad