team canada at worlds

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Rob said:
This isn't the tournament to gain respect in. We have to wait until the next Olympics.

LOL. Depends on what level of respect we're talking. If they don't get shutout they move ahead of our "A"-team. Of course they then have to hang on and finish top 6 overall. ;)

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
When Shanahan and Cammerelli get to Riga, I think the top line needs to be broken up to spread out the offense. Bergeron is a natural centre and was top 5 in FO% for most of the regular season, so he deserves his own line. Boyes played on his right side and the Chemistry between the two is far more developed than Bergeron and Crosby. So I would go with this lineup or something like it.

Shanahan-Crosby-Cammerelli
Calder-Bergeron-Boyes
Hartnell-Comrie-Carter
Metro-Richards-Williams

Stuart-Seabrook
Robidas-Hamhuis
Dupont-Schultz

Auld
Denis

Dion Mustard*

12# Peter Bondra said:
http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/n...y.asp?id=162765.

I dont think they invited him yet cause they just forgot. This TSN article says that he was invited but still hasnt made a decision due to his injury.

TSN say's. No where is there a direct quote or response from anyone from Hockey Canada. Sorry, not buying it.

illogic said:
The fact that anyone could seriously believe that Rick Nash is inferior to Kyle Calder and Mike Comrie makes me shudder.

Anyone who believes Shane Doan is inferior Kyle Calder or Mike Comrie makes me shudder. And yet those two were invited and Doan (among others) were not. Face it, Nash wasn't invited.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
To clear up the Nash situation and exactly why a recent Rocket Richard trophy winner, the goal leader at the last World Championships and the guy who averaged a point per game in the most recent NHL season is not on Team Canada:

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/blu...430-G10-01.html

I’ll sit back and await wildone’s conspiracy theory about how the injury is a cover for not being invited.

Actually, it probably has more to do with the absence of Joe Thornton. I mean seriously, read what is being said by Nash;

{quote]"He said he’s also nursing a wrist injury of some sort.

Asked whether he needed surgery of any kind, he said, "Right now, it’s just rest and rehab." [/quote]

Gimme a break. Once again, Nash is unable to play at the Worlds because of an undisclosed injury that no one knew about until after the season ended and the invites went out. This is a crock. He wasn't invited. Whether it is because he absolutely sucked *** in Italy, or because without Thornton they knew he'd be ****. Maybe it's because team's just don't win important games with him on board. Or because they simply didn't invite anyone from the original Olympic roster. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. He wasn't invited. All this smoke screen does is cast attention on himself, in what every hockey smart person out there should see as ********.

Unless the guy needs surgery or a cast on any part of his body, if he was invited, his *** should be there. At minimum, he should have been there to prove last year's "success" had nothing to do with Thornton (still laugh at those who think it was Nash and not all of JT's work. Hello, Jonathan Cheechoo, Glenn Murray) and that his utter crappiness at the Olympics was a blemish, not a sign of his lack of actual talent.

God Bless Canada said:
Any word on Eric Brewer?

He's no longer with the Oilers, so Lowe and Gretzky don't have an affiliation with loading the team up with their own guys. Don't expect to hear his name much more for Team Canada positions.

There's no bloody way Rick Nash is behind Mike Comrie on our depth chart. Period. Think about it for two seconds. There's a very common sense reason for this. Nash played for Canada at the Olympics. Very few players who played at the Olympics will play at the Worlds, because of the rigours of the long NHL season and the Olys. Very, very few players played at both the Olys and the Worlds in 1998 and 2002. Nash was not impressive at the Olys, but he was an all-star at the Worlds last year. He's battled injuries all year, too. Canada probably didn't think he'd be made available for this tournament. If he's available, he'll be there, and he'll be Crosby's first line left winger. Could it be that the Columbus paper had their facts wrong? The story also doesn't mention how many players were in the first round of invites.

Funny enough, there's no way Staal, Spezza, Cheechoo and Marleau should have been behind Nash on the Olympic depth chart. So maybe call this an evening out process. But those guys are doing something Nash never has, and appears won't be doing for a long time; participating in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I wish Brewer went, and Nash, but it looks as though our team is somewhat balanced.

I still laugh at the people who don't like Brewer and Nash for some reason, ah well, you can't argue with ignorance.

Last edited:

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
therealdeal said:
I wish Brewer went, and Nash, but it looks as though our team is somewhat balanced.

I still laugh at the people who don't like Brewer and Nash for some reason, ah well, you can't argue with ignorance.
Didn't Brewer have shoulder surgery and was out for the remainder of the season. He may not have been healthy enough. I believe nash also didn't go to recover from injury.

harper

Feb 4, 2006
Is the canadian squad finalized? colorado is on the brink...i am not sure which av players might go riga, canadian or otherwise

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Every nation can bring in two more players before the quarterfinals. They got 23 now, 25 will be the limit then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad