team canada at worlds

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Rabid Ranger said:
Not a surprise. Two more players who could be strong additions, looking to make an impression for future teams with a strong showing in this tournament. Carter showed a lot of raw potential this year in Philly, despite minimal ice time. Really improved as the season progressed. Richards will bring the same things to the table that he did at Grand Forks: hustle, hockey sense and defensive presence. Richards will anchor Canada's checking line for years to come.

I'm not entering this tournament with really high hopes. If Canada medals, it's good news. This team reminds me a lot of the 2001 World Championship team: a lot of talented young players who will be cornerstones for Canada in the future, but probably aren't ready to bring home a gold medal.

But I'm guessing a lot of other teams will be missing their top guys because of the Olympic-induced schedule.

espo*

Le Golie said:
The Olympic team was old and stale. This team will be young and energetic. That should be enough of a difference to make the games exciting. I don't think we'll go very far, but the hockey should be great to watch.
We'll be up against it for sure but who knows? They may get it together and surprise us.There is still good talent on board.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
MOJO Radio in Vancouver is reporting that Anson Carter and Brad Richards have joined the team. I'm wondering if that's not some idiot news editor guessing the wrong Carter and Richards, though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
MOJO Radio in Vancouver is reporting that Anson Carter and Brad Richards have joined the team. I'm wondering if that's not some idiot news editor guessing the wrong Carter and Richards, though.

I'm guessing the latter.....

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
HalifaxHit said:
Matt Pettinger and Mike Cammalleri have also been added, this is one young team.
http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story/?ID=164862&hubname=
Cammalleri has a huge upside on the international stage. Shone for Canada at the junior level. Top forward at the 2002 WJC. Small, but quick and exceptionally skilled and creative. I hope he's on the first line with Crosby and Bergeron.

As for Pettinger, well, he's a fast skater. And he actually showed a scorer's touch the last time he played for Canada. But if he's anything more than a fourth liner, we're in trouble.

Expect to see this team struggle early. A lot of players will be jet lagged, and there won't be much of a chance to gel. For many, it's the first time they've played at a non-junior international tournament. But if they can make it to the quarter-finals, with the time they'll have had to gel, I think they have a shot at getting a medal. They need another goalie beyond Auld and Denis.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
God Bless Canada said:
Cammalleri has a huge upside on the international stage. Shone for Canada at the junior level. Top forward at the 2002 WJC. Small, but quick and exceptionally skilled and creative. I hope he's on the first line with Crosby and Bergeron.

As for Pettinger, well, he's a fast skater. And he actually showed a scorer's touch the last time he played for Canada. But if he's anything more than a fourth liner, we're in trouble.

Expect to see this team struggle early. A lot of players will be jet lagged, and there won't be much of a chance to gel. For many, it's the first time they've played at a non-junior international tournament. But if they can make it to the quarter-finals, with the time they'll have had to gel, I think they have a shot at getting a medal. They need another goalie beyond Auld and Denis.

What's nice for the U.S. and Canada is most of teams aren't exactly star-laden. I'm not expecting much out of the U.S. squad, but if the team gels and goaltending holds up-who knows?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
This team is just too young to be a threat. Lots of talent, but the opponents will be older men who have played a lot of international hockey on international ice before. As I said, Canada will be fun to watch, but I can't see them going too deep. Hope I'm wrong!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
:biglaugh: Nice research by the reporter.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Goal: Auld, Denis
Defence: Stuart, Hamhuis, Schultz, Robidas
Forwards: Bergeron, Boyes, Calder, Carter, Comrie, Crosby, Hartnell, Richards, Pettinger, Cammalerri

Canada needs three more forwards and three more defenceman

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Kel Varnsen said:
Shanny will be a good Captain for the younger guys. This will be a sweet team to watch, along with the US.

"Shanny and the 05 Juniors"

Jaysfanatic*

Now lets get Phaneuf, Iginla and Regher!

What this team should be:

Gagne-Lecavalier-Iginla
Shanahan-B. Richards-St. Louis
Hartnell-Richards-Carter
Boyes-Comrie-Bergeron

Extra: Calder

Phaneuf-Bouwmeester
Regher-Foote
Robidas-Dupont

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Devilsfanatic said:
Now lets get Phaneuf, Iginla and Regher!

What this team should be:

Gagne-Lecavalier-Iginla
Shanahan-B. Richards-St. Louis
Hartnell-Richards-Carter
Boyes-Comrie-Bergeron

Extra: Calder

Phaneuf-Bouwmeester
Regher-Foote
Robidas-Dupont

Uh, I think you forgot our best player.

Jaysfanatic*

Le Golie said:
Uh, I think you forgot our best player.

:banghead: :dunce: :blush:

I forgot Tim Taylor???

lol I meant to have CROSBY not COMRIE on the 4th line centering Boyes and Bergeron.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I see a lot of you guys throwing around names, is this just pure speculation, or is a guy like St. Louis going, or Lecavelier?

Don't get my hopes up like that and then break them down, thats just not cool.

Jaysfanatic*

therealdeal said:
I see a lot of you guys throwing around names, is this just pure speculation, or is a guy like St. Louis going, or Lecavelier?

Don't get my hopes up like that and then break them down, thats just not cool.

They probably won't go. They're biatches.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Awesome that Shanny's going. Some much needed veteran leadership. Might be his last time suiting up for team Canada. Hopefully he'll be there in time for the Norway game on Sunday, cause that's the first one I got tickets to :yo: .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad