Team Canada at the IIHF U18 in April - leading prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Who will be on this team in April and will they be a serious threat to claim gold again? Team Canada won gold at the summer U18 Junior World Cup, but will not have everyone available for this upcoming tournament. The team will be made up of 1988 born players on CHL, NCAA or Junior A teams that miss their respective league playoffs or who are eliminated in the 1st round. One interesting scenario could have Team Canada naming John Tavares to the roster, but as a 1990 born player I don't know if they would do that? He would essentially be a 'double underage' and even Sidney Crosby didn't play as a 15 yr old. It will be interesting to see what happens there. Here are some of my early picks to be there in April,

John Tavares - Oshawa
Claude Giroux - Gatineau
Justion Azevedo - Kitchener
Matt Beleskey - Belleville
Ryan McDonough - Saginaw
Jonathan Toews - North Dakota
James Sheppard - Cape Breton
Ty Wishart - Prince George
Keaton Ellerby - Kamloops
Steve Ferry - Sarnia
Jonathan Bernier - Lewiston

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
insider said:
ok... I think I know of one...

Angelo Esposito

no?

Esposito is an underage, born in 1989. This tournament will be for 1988 born players essentially and Canada has rarely taken underage players to these tournaments. Also, I would expect Esposito's Remparts to advance far into the QMJHL playoffs, thus making him unavailable for this tourney anyways.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Belizarius said:
We'll see which teams won't participate in playoffs (or Frozen Four for Toews) before making a list... :)

Any better idea yet?

I know things will really start shaping up for Canada after the 1st round of the CHL playoffs are complete, but now that we know who didn't make the playoffs in each league and who is playing who now, any predicitions or who will likely be there?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
HabLover said:
Esposito is an underage, born in 1989. This tournament will be for 1988 born players essentially and Canada has rarely taken underage players to these tournaments.
Tavares from your first post isn't underage ? :dunno:

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Stefan Chaput (Lewiston, QMJHL) was there last year. If Lewiston makes an early exit, he might be there.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Doomsday Device said:
Canada has never picked an underager for this tournament. I think if they were to do so, it would probably end up being a player they think is significantly ahead of his age group, like Esposito who was invited to the WJC camp.
They have, but not too many. Last year they took Derick Brassard and Cal Clutterbuck, for example.

hockey-hoser

Mar 16, 2006
I heard from a good source that the goalies fighting for a spot are from the WHL....

1. Irving
2. Reimer
3. Lazaruk
4. Armstrong

Reimer just got injured for up to 8 weeks, so that leaves 3, and with Irving and Lazaruk in the play-offs they may need to look east this year

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
LaLaLaprise said:
If Jon Bernier isnt on the team someone should be fired.

He played god awful at the Prospects game but that was 1 game.

Lewiston could make the 2nd round of the playoffs hopefully that is the only reason he is left off. When is this tourny mid or late April. I agree with u on the Top Prospects game...Jon lead this group of guys (U18) to the Junior World Cup Gold last August. l

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Kaizer said:
Tavares from your first post isn't underage ? :dunno:

I know he is and he is actually a 'double underage' if you can say, so like I said in my first post, I am not sure if Hockey Canada would take him or not? The guy scored 45 goals in the OHL this season so there is no doubt he can play, but perhaps the Junior World Cup this up coming summer would be a better tournament to have him play at. That tournament will be for 1989 born players and Tavares is a 1990 born.

Transported Upstater

HabLover said:
I know he is and he is actually a 'double underage' if you can say, so like I said in my first post, I am not sure if Hockey Canada would take him or not? The guy scored 45 goals in the OHL this season so there is no doubt he can play, but perhaps the Junior World Cup this up coming summer would be a better tournament to have him play at. That tournament will be for 1989 born players and Tavares is a 1990 born.

It is unbelieveable how well Tavares played...

Born in September 20 of 1990, nearly a year younger than everyone else, and he scores 45 goals on one of the league's two worst teams.

Tavares = :bow:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Hudsey said:
What about Jordan Staal? If the Petes don't make it far. He's born in 1988.

There is no doubt Jordan Staal will be named to Team Canada if the Petes are knocked out of the OHL playoffs in the 1st round. Team Canada can only wait for the completion of the 1st round of the CHL playoffs and then they have to name the team to head overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad