Team Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Amazing how Canada turned into a first week country this time lol.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Officially best Olympics ever with a few more days to go.
if you told me this includes only 1 Curling medal, i'd have called you a liar.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Officially best Olympics ever with a few more days to go.
if you told me this includes only 1 Curling medal, i'd have called you a liar.

And this is with some big medal chances going out the window. Women's curling, women's big air, speed skating, etc.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Next Olympics will be a challenge for Canada however. The 2010 Olympic trickle-down effect is just about done.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
And this is with some big medal chances going out the window. Women's curling, women's big air, speed skating, etc.

honestly i wasn't considering Speed Skating. I didn't think we'd do well. (yay for our secret Dutchman lol). but the Curling, some of the (BS) DQ's in Short Track and some injuries that took us out. we could have totally set [more] records. but this should bode v. well for China.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Next Olympics will be a challenge for Canada however. The 2010 Olympic trickle-down effect is just about done.

That is true. This is probably a high water mark for Canada at least until Calgary gets their next bid in.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

yes and no. if you were making this argument re: the USA i would totally buy out as they've just about run dry from 2002. 2010 was only eight years ago and while some stalwarts (most of our figure skaters, a good chunk of the speed skating team (both sides), bobsleigh, luge etc) so the "automatic assumption" will be gone - however, what I'd be looking at is the 4-8th spots (where we've done relatively well these games) and the ages of those competitors.

Also we have been (obviously) a heavy/consistent country in winter sports before Vancouver. While I feel the trend will stop doing better at every games (Sochi was proof), i think we will stay steady at apprx 25 medals. If we have the games after China (and we should, unless Calgary doesn't bid), that should be another boost, but I don't think we should have a trickle down aspect - not with all the money we pump in the winter events.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Amazing that Canada would contending for #1 overall in total medals if we had hit on some of our other contenders.

If we had any presence at all in Alpine/Nordic/Biathlon we'd crush the competition.

Nordic and Biathlon I can concede to genetics, but we should be better than we are at skiing down a mountain.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Amazing that Canada would contending for #1 overall in total medals if we had hit on some of our other contenders.

If we had any presence at all in Alpine/Nordic/Biathlon we'd crush the competition.

Nordic and Biathlon I can concede to genetics, but we should be better than we are at skiing down a mountain.

that's what I asked.
how can we be so good skiing down bumps and pipes and stuff... but we can't ski down a mountain? hell we can barely ski on flat ground. it's bizarro-world to me.

but we finally figured out how to swim in Rio so maybe one day we'll master alpine.
(though Canada's drop off in Biathlon is weird. we used to do well in that).

i was thinking how much of our medals would have been impacted had Russia not been state banned, and I'm thinking maybe... like 5? maybe?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
that's what I asked.
how can we be so good skiing down bumps and pipes and stuff... but we can't ski down a mountain? hell we can barely ski on flat ground. it's bizarro-world to me.

but we finally figured out how to swim in Rio so maybe one day we'll master alpine.

i was thinking how much of our medals would have been impacted had Russia not been state banned, and I'm thinking maybe... like 5? maybe?

Russia would have affected everyone. Probably everyone in the Top 5 gets bumped down 3-5 medals each.

Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to alpine though.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Viktor Ahn in short track was the only one missing who would have made any difference. So Men's 1000, Men's relay (less likely), Luge relay. Other countries benefited more.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I think this is Canada's best ever showing in figure skating with 4 medals (the team event has only been in place the last two Olympics)
Gold - Team Event; Virtue & Moir
Bronze - Osmond; Duhamel & Radford

We also finished with more medals in this event than any other country. I'm not sure if it's the first this has happened. I suspect it is.

Other "historic" firsts for Canada this Olympics?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think this is Canada's best ever showing in figure skating with 4 medals (the team event has only been in place the last two Olympics)
Gold - Team Event; Virtue & Moir
Bronze - Osmond; Duhamel & Radford

We also finished with more medals in this event than any other country. I'm not sure if it's the first this has happened. I suspect it is.

Other "historic" firsts for Canada this Olympics?

Luge (2 medals).
1st champion in mixed doubles curling (the only gold in curling. holy crap)
ummmm i think everything else was standard i have to look.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He's had 19 starts in DH and SG at the Olympics and World Championships. Two Golds, a Silver, two 4ths, two 5ths and a 6th.

Why are you grouping his circuit wins with the Olympics when I was specifically talking about his performance at the Olympics? I even said he has never translated his circuit success into the Olympics. He’s never podiumed at the Olympics.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
that's what I asked.

I don't know about Canada, but usually it's all in the structure and financial support. It's not like you can't you just can't find the guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad