Team Canada: 8 games in 12 Days Too Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Slumbers

Dec 26, 2005
Ottawa
Borlag said:
Not to mention the amount of players who'd choose to continue playing in NHL during the Olympics. That'd basically be the worst case scenario for both the NHL and the Olympics.

Exactly, people complain now about a player's alliegance to club or country, but imagine if they had to pick only one and directly affect the other.

Although I agree that the NHL didn't exactly deal with the scheduling conflict well, teams play something like 16 games in 30 days in March? WEAK. :shakehead

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
gobolt7 said:
Why are we only referring to team Canada here?

8 games in 12 days will be tough for whichever 2 teams get to the finals. How long is the time off between teh gold medal game and the nhl starting back again?

2 days :shakehead

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
gobolt7 said:
Why are we only referring to team Canada here?

8 games in 12 days will be tough for whichever 2 teams get to the finals. How long is the time off between teh gold medal game and the nhl starting back again?

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't call it hubris (not yet, at least) but most people (Canadian or otherwise) think that the Maple Leafed team will reach the finals.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Big Mama said:
On the German goal he came out of the box and covered the far point guy. Sakic didn't go to his point guy and the goal was scored.

lol covering the far point guy from the near side goal line? Interesting take on covering someone... McCabe was out to lunch on that one and you know its true when bob and harry acknowledge that.

McCabe has been by far the worst player on the ice for team canada and its not even close.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Big Mama said:
No doubt Team Canada benefits, their 7th d-man, McCabe is the only defenceman in the NHL scoring at more than a point a game clip. That is a definite advantage.

Hey Kronwall has 3 games and 3 points...

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
SignThornton said:
You're kidding right? IMO McCabe should've never even been added to Team Canada because he's a defensive liability.
Because he's a Leaf right? Jovanovski can't play defence and doesn't score as much as McCabe but he "belongs on Team Canada, it's just plain stupid, if McCabe played for any other team he'd have a sure spot on Team Canada WITHOUT question.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
SuperMan313 said:
Because he's a Leaf right? Jovanovski can't play defence and doesn't score as much as McCabe but he "belongs on Team Canada, it's just plain stupid, if McCabe played for any other team he'd have a sure spot on Team Canada WITHOUT question.
Jovanovski plays way better defence than McCabe

SignThornton

BEAST MODE
Oct 14, 2005
St. Catharines, Ont.
SuperMan313 said:

I wasn't saying anything about Jovanovski. McCabe is a liability on defense, period. He's showed that playing with the Leafs and now he's doing the same thing for Team Canada. We could have guys like Phaneuf, Boyle or Hannan and I'd pick all of them before McCabe. We already have guys like Pronger, Redden or Blake that can chip in just fine offensively, we don't need McCabe's help for that.

Big Mama*

SignThornton said:
You're kidding right? IMO McCabe should've never even been added to Team Canada because he's a defensive liability.

Head to head in 3 playoff series McCabe has outplayed Redden everytime and by a sizable margin.

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
SignThornton said:
I wasn't saying anything about Jovanovski. McCabe is a liability on defense, period. He's showed that playing with the Leafs and now he's doing the same thing for Team Canada. We could have guys like Phaneuf, Boyle or Hannan and I'd pick all of them before McCabe. We already have guys like Pronger, Redden or Blake that can chip in just fine offensively, we don't need McCabe's help for that.
I know you said nothing about Jovo, all I'm saying is that there the same type of d-men yet other people think Jovo deserves to be on the team and not McCabe because of the crest on the jersey.

SignThornton

BEAST MODE
Oct 14, 2005
St. Catharines, Ont.
Big Mama said:
Head to head in 3 playoff series McCabe has outplayed Redden everytime and by a sizable margin.

I don't think he's outplayed Redden by a 'sizeable' margin in the past. Now Let's talk about this year. Everytime I see McCabe on the ice I'm wondering who he's giving the puck up next to. He is not reliable in his own end. Period. I've seen the games, I'm not biased, I've made obversations and I'm sticking to them. He's great offensively yes but it doesn't just come down to that and only that. He's a defenseman first and foremost. There were better choices in defensemen out there and I'm sure Pat Quinn had a smidge of influence in the deciding factor in putting McCabe on the taxi-squad to begin with.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Jay Fresh said:
Are you kidding? That would be like half the lineup for Ottawa, Colorado, Philly and others. Nobody wants to field a B-Team for two weeks, it could ruin a team's chances or playoff seeding.

I know I wouldnt want to watch the Sens without Chara, Redden, Spezza, Heatley, Hasek, Volchenkov, Schubert, Meszaros, and Alfie.

You're forgetting the most important thing here - the cap hit Ottawa would take by calling up the replacements.:sarcasm:

Big Mama*

SignThornton said:
I don't think he's outplayed Redden by a 'sizeable' margin in the past. Now Let's talk about this year. Everytime I see McCabe on the ice I'm wondering who he's giving the puck up next to. He is not reliable in his own end. Period. I've seen the games, I'm not biased, I've made obversations and I'm sticking to them. He's great offensively yes but it doesn't just come down to that and only that. He's a defenseman first and foremost. There were better choices in defensemen out there and I'm sure Pat Quinn had a smidge of influence in the deciding factor in putting McCabe on the taxi-squad to begin with.

Sure the taxi squad was invented for McCabe to get his just recognition. Defensively he is above average. He is known to cough up the puck, but lots of elite d-men do. McCabe has had his best season so far.He has been breaking rookies and playing 28 minutes a game and he is a plus player on a badly negative team. In fact a team that is 25th in 5 on 5 scoring.

There is only one defenceman in the league who has scored more than a point a game this season. McCabe. Of course he belongs on the team and he should be getting alot of ice.

As for Redden the one year he doesn't go head to head with McCabe and get out played he is coughing up the puck to Friesen with a couple minutes left to lose game 7 to NJ. And costing his team a cup berth.

SignThornton

BEAST MODE
Oct 14, 2005
St. Catharines, Ont.
Big Mama said:
Sure the taxi squad was invented for McCabe to get his just recognition. Defensively he is above average. He is known to cough up the puck, but lots of elite d-men do. McCabe has had his best season so far.He has been breaking rookies and playing 28 minutes a game and he is a plus player on a badly negative team. In fact a team that is 25th in 5 on 5 scoring.

There is only one defenceman in the league who has scored more than a point a game this season. McCabe. Of course he belongs on the team and he should be getting alot of ice.

As for Redden the one year he doesn't go head to head with McCabe and get out played he is coughing up the puck to Friesen with a couple minutes left to lose game 7 to NJ. And costing his team a cup berth.

McCabe is not a better than average defensive defenseman, this is my whole argument. He coughs up the puck more than other elite defensemen do. I guess having him on the same team as Wade Belak or Aki Berg makes him look like an above average defenseman but he's not and I'm not fooled one bit. Plus/Minus is probably the most overused stat in the game. It doesn't always reflect how well or bad you play defensively.

FYI, the Leafs are 27th 5/5 which is even worse.

:sarcasm:

Big Mama*

SignThornton said:
McCabe is not a better than average defensive defenseman, this is my whole argument. He coughs up the puck more than other elite defensemen do. I guess having him on the same team as Wade Belak or Aki Berg makes him look like an above average defenseman but he's not and I'm not fooled one bit. Plus/Minus is probably the most overused stat in the game. It doesn't always reflect how well or bad you play defensively.

FYI, the Leafs are 27th 5/5 which is even worse.

:sarcasm:

Yes he cough's up the puck more than elite defenceman do. But that doesn't make him average. Your correct about +/- . But you are not presenting an argument about McCabe's defensive play. You are stating your opinion that he is average defensively. I disagree with your opinion and will present a contrary argument that McCabe is not average.

Look at the stats. There are only 4 players with over 28 minutes per game.

Lidstrom +6
Pronger +4
McCabe +2
Kaberle -2

Only three of them are plus players.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/stats?s...iewName=summary

Now look at the teams GF 5 on 5 and GA 5 on 5

Det 112 81
Edm 100 108
Tor 85 105

Obviously Pronger and Lidstrom should be on the ice for more goals. (Plus mcCabe missed 9 games) and have much better +/- but they don't. On the other hand Pronger and mcCabe are just as likely to be on the ice for a GA, Lidstrom less so.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/stats?s...ewName=goalsFor

Now look at non-PP points.

Lidstrom 16 GP 57
Pronger 8 GP 58
McCabe 19 GP 48

All three players get huge ice. McCabe looks like his +/- should be alot worse because his team is awful 5 on 5. But McCabe does generate more offense than Pronger and Lidstrom and that will have a positive effect on his +/-. But it is on a team that is far worse offensively than Det or Edm.

If McCabe was average defensively he should have a +/- alot worse than Pronger or Lidstrom , especially since all three are playing almost half the game. But the differences are minimal.

It is possible that McCabe's offensive talents have completely made up for average defensive play. The problem with this argument is that the leafs GF is alot lower than Det and Edm.

Last edited by a moderator:

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
This is not just Canada complaining about its own situation

any team who makes it to the medal rounds will have played the same exhaustive schedule

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
OMG... Shut up about McCabe already people. Every mention of Team Canada goes hand in hand with McCabe.

He sucks? Ok.. Shut up and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad