Olympics: Team Canada 2014 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Still 3 years away but I think it will be interesting to see who everybody thinks will make the team Canada roster in 2014 if NHL players are permitted.There are so many good players it's so difficult to name the team but which players do you guys think will make the cut? This is my mock team Canada.

Forwards
Carter, Crosby, E. Staal
Perry, Stamkos, Getzlaf
Richards, Toews, Nash
J. Staal, Hall/Couture, Giroux

Other possibles- Tavares, Duchene, Bergeron etc... Way too many good players to list them all

Defense
Keith Seabrook
Doughty Weber
Letang Subban
Myers/ M. Staal

Goalies
Fleury
Luongo
Price/ Cam Ward

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Lucic would be an easy selection now that he is healthy. He was even considered for the past Olympics, but multiple injuries derailed him.

Taylor Hall 4

Jun 15, 2009
I think when it comes down to it Subban or Letang will be taken out of that and have Myers and Staal in. With the offensive power they have up front having a 6'8 Two way man and Marc Staal on your third pairing would be great.

TSN also had a split between Cam Ward and Luongo. I don't understand how Cam Ward owuld be better then the last one to win. Plus Luongo even if he is the backup adds some age and leadership to the club.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Lucic would be an easy selection now that he is healthy. He was even considered for the past Olympics, but multiple injuries derailed him.

Eh, his cycle game isn't as exciting on international sized ice. Just doesn't really fit to his strength imo.

ROBERTSMITH

Mar 24, 2011
Still 3 years away but I think it will be interesting to see who everybody thinks will make the team Canada roster in 2014 if NHL players are permitted.There are so many good players it's so difficult to name the team but which players do you guys think will make the cut? This is my mock team Canada.

Forwards
Carter, Crosby, E. Staal
Perry, Stamkos, Getzlaf
Richards, Toews, Nash
Hall/Couture/skinner,J. Staal,Giroux
Other possibles- Tavares, Duchene, Bergeron etc... Way too many good players to list them all

Defense
Keith Seabrook
Doughty Weber
Letang Subban
Boyle/ M. Staal

Goalies
Fleury
Luongo
Price/ Cam Ward

PGCougarsDynasty

Dec 27, 2010
I would say the only locks to make the 2014 team are Crosby, Toews, and Doughty. Getzlaf , Perry, M.Richards, Nash, Weber and Keith/Seabrook will more than likely be in the equation but any of those could be past their prime or have an off year by the time 2014 rolls around. Iginla has a chance to be there if he so chooses. In 2007, I'm sure a lot of people here thought Lecavalier, St Louis and B.Richards would be a line for 2010 and neither made the team.

Returning forwards from 2010 will have to compete with Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Duchene etc. for a top six spot. I don't consider Stamkos or Tavares locks as maybe they get left off for a more complete two-way player. Neal, Lucic, Benn, E.Kane(I have a hunch he'll be there:)), Giroux, Couture, J.Staal and even Bolland could all be newcomers who challenge for a bottom six spot.

Defense is completely wide open depending on how certain players develop/drop off. Newcomers could include Petriangelo(I'd bet a few dollars.), Myers, Subban, Letang, M. Staal, L.Schenn, Hamonic(Who knows? He's playing well on a developing team...) and Cody Franson. I think Marc Staal has a really good shot despite not being considered offensive. Schenn would have to double his offensive numbers to be considered which is hard to imagine happening. Myers and Subban have legitimate opportunities should they continue to improve. Hamonic and Franson would be considered long shots by a mile right now but a lot can change in three years.

Heck, players drafted in 2011 and 2012 (Dare I say Ryan Murray or Griffin Reinhart....;)) could challenge for a spot. Yup, I'm going to fall off the deep end and say Ryan Murray makes the 2014 Canadian Olympic team:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:. Hey, he will be 21. Doughty was 21....

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
E. Staal Crosby Stamkos
Hall Getzlaf Perry
Nash Toews Richards
Zajac Duchene J. Staal
Tavares

Doughty Weber
Keith Myers
Pietrangelo M. Staal
Green

Price
Luongo
Fleury

I'm thinking that anyone who is still in their prime from the 2010 team will get picked, except for Seabrook and Bergeron who did not impress and are not likely to blow people away over the next three seasons. Loads of centres are here of course, but this usually isn't a large problem.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
E. Staal Crosby Stamkos
Hall Getzlaf Perry
Nash Toews Richards
Zajac Duchene J. Staal
Tavares

Doughty Weber
Keith Myers
Pietrangelo M. Staal
Green

Price
Luongo
Fleury

I'm thinking that anyone who is still in their prime from the 2010 team will get picked, except for Seabrook and Bergeron who did not impress and are not likely to blow people away over the next three seasons. Loads of centres are here of course, but this usually isn't a large problem.

I think you're wrong about both Bergeron and Seabrook, but for the purposes of this post I will only focus on Bergeron. Going into the tournament he had a broken finger or thumb, I can't remember which, and maybe he shouldn't have gone. During the tournament I Think in the Germany or US game he suffered from a somewhat serious groin pull. So no, he didn't play great, but he also wasn't his usual self.

If you want to take Bergeron off the team for a better player thats fine, but instead you put on J. Staal, who is worse at every part of the game as compared to Bergeron. He doesn't get as many points with more powerplay time, he doesn't get anymore penalty kill time, and he isn't very good at faceoffs, which when he's healthy is Bergerons strength. Bergeron is already used to getting less icetime than most on Team Canada, he doesn't need 22 minutes to get his point, he only plays 17 a game.

Like I said, if you think there is a better 4th line candidate for Team Canada, even though I personally think there isn't, than by all means he should be on the team, but Jordan Staal has done nothing to warrant that appointment.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think you're wrong about both Bergeron and Seabrook, but for the purposes of this post I will only focus on Bergeron. Going into the tournament he had a broken finger or thumb, I can't remember which, and maybe he shouldn't have gone. During the tournament I Think in the Germany or US game he suffered from a somewhat serious groin pull. So no, he didn't play great, but he also wasn't his usual self.

If you want to take Bergeron off the team for a better player thats fine, but instead you put on J. Staal, who is worse at every part of the game as compared to Bergeron. He doesn't get as many points with more powerplay time, he doesn't get anymore penalty kill time, and he isn't very good at faceoffs, which when he's healthy is Bergerons strength. Bergeron is already used to getting less icetime than most on Team Canada, he doesn't need 22 minutes to get his point, he only plays 17 a game.

Like I said, if you think there is a better 4th line candidate for Team Canada, even though I personally think there isn't, than by all means he should be on the team, but Jordan Staal has done nothing to warrant that appointment.

First off, I'm putting Jordan Staal on the team because this is a prediction. If I was in charge of the team, neither Staal nor Bergeron would likely make it. Staal seems to have more fans than Bergeron, so that helps him in this regard.

Regarding Bergeron's play at the Olympics, I know that he was hurt but ultimately he failed to impress, and that is what people will remember. As far as Bergeron and Staal as players, one thing that Staal has over Bergeron is that he is a superior defensive player. Seeing as this is a fourth line role, I would value that far more than who is the superior powerplay player. Neither Bergeron or Staal has a chance at getting on the powerplay in 2014 anyway.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
First off, I'm putting Jordan Staal on the team because this is a prediction. If I was in charge of the team, neither Staal nor Bergeron would likely make it. Staal seems to have more fans than Bergeron, so that helps him in this regard.

Regarding Bergeron's play at the Olympics, I know that he was hurt but ultimately he failed to impress, and that is what people will remember. As far as Bergeron and Staal as players, one thing that Staal has over Bergeron is that he is a superior defensive player. Seeing as this is a fourth line role, I would value that far more than who is the superior powerplay player. Neither Bergeron or Staal has a chance at getting on the powerplay in 2014 anyway.

We'll agree to disagree about some of what you said, but I would take Bergeron every day over Staal.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Put Reimer in there :sarcasm:

Get the **** out of here. He barely makes the World Championship team, and the only reason why he is there is because of Nonis taking the homer pick. He has no business on the World stage as he has yet to prove anything at the NHL level.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Get the **** out of here. He barely makes the World Championship team, and the only reason why he is there is because of Nonis taking the homer pick. He has no business on the World stage as he has yet to prove anything at the NHL level.

I introduce you to the SARCASM emoticon :sarcasm:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Tavares and Hall are practically locks, I wouldnt be surprised if RNH makes it too. Young players are better than ever today, look how fast the top picks are getting established in the NHL now.

Speed will be very important too given its on intl ice.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box

Forwards
Carter, Crosby, E. Staal
Perry, Stamkos, Getzlaf
Richards, Toews, Nash
J. Staal, Hall/Couture, Giroux

Defense
Keith Seabrook
Doughty Weber
Letang Subban
Myers/ M. Staal

Goalies
Fleury
Luongo
Price/ Cam Ward

Price is a little low on this list, He is already better then Luongo and plays on a much worse team as for Lou he will be 35+ and nowhere near the goalie he was in Vancouver, Sorry Roberto your last name isnt Brodeur and its time to move on you dont even get a sniff on this team. I wouldnt be surprised if Carey is the starter on this team....

Vinner

May 1, 2010
Hall - Crosby - Stamkos
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
E. Staal - Toews - Nash
Lucic - M. Richards - C. Stewart
Duchene

Reserve(Giroux, Carter, Skinner)

Doughty - Weber
Keith - Pietrangelo
M. Staal - Letang
Subban

Reserve(Seabrook, Green, Burns)

Ward
Price
Luongo

Reserve(Fleury, Bernier, Mason)

TML4eva*

Wtf did you not know I put a SARCASM emotion.. :facepalm:

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Hall - Crosby - Stamkos
Tavares - Getzlaf - Perry
E. Staal - Toews - Nash
Lucic - M. Richards - C. Stewart
Duchene

Reserve(Giroux, Carter, Skinner)

Doughty - Weber
Keith - Pietrangelo
M. Staal - Letang
Subban

Reserve(Seabrook, Green, Burns)

Ward
Price
Luongo

Reserve(Fleury, Bernier, Mason)

Pretty close to what i'd have.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think there will be a lot of first time Olympians on the blueline.

ex. Subban, Schenn, Staal, Letang and/or Myers are all strong possibilities.

Even older guys like Burns, Phaneuf or Green might have a shot.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

I lol'd

You failed sooooooooOoOooOoOoo ****ing hard just now

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

You-Must-Be-New-Here.jpg

:sarcasm: This is the sarcasm emoticon. As noted by the tag : sarcasm : without spaces. Familiarize yourself with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->