Team Canada - 1st Pairing Defence - Left Side

Who should play the left side on the defence's first pairing?

• LD - Josh Morrissey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LD - Adam Pelech

• RD - Colton Parayko

• RD - Kris Letang

• RD - Brent Burns

• RD - Ryan Ellis

• RD - Jared Spurgeon

• RD - Ryan Pulock

• Total voters

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Luckily your opinion won't matter and Canada wants the best team possible. It's unlikely team Canada shares your anti-Leaf bias.

Rielly had one very good season, and it was one of the luckiest shooting seasons I’ve ever seen. He won’t sniff 20 goals against, as evidenced by this season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol Muzzin.

Canada is big on taking proper left/righties on the appropriate side. Given the options I think Chabot or Theodore would get a nod and an even stronger case for Theodore next year if he does well playing next to Pietrangelo for a full season.

RHD is where the logjam is.

Seems DeBoer is splitting Theodore and AP up. At least we know for sure they'll man separate powerplays. Better to have one of em on the ice for 70% of the game than both of them for like 45%

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Pietro-Makar
Chabot-Hamilton
Theodore-Ellis

probably the worst group ive seen posted yet

make a stud RD play his off side on pair one so a rookie can play rd on the top pair? Ryan ellis makes the top 6, but Morgan rielly doesnt?

gross

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Hamilton
Chabot - Makar

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
probably the worst group ive seen posted yet

make a stud RD play his off side on pair one so a rookie can play rd on the top pair? Ryan ellis makes the top 6, but Morgan rielly doesnt?

gross

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Hamilton
Chabot - Makar
like your opinion is worth anything in here, leafboy.

Ellis is 100 times more responsible in his own end than Rielly, more physical, and even out produced him on NASHVILLE of all teams last season..... So go back to your mom's basement and yell at people on your computer, little boy. Its the only thing youre good at.... Pathetic.

Last edited:

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
like your opinion is worth anything in here, leafboy.

Ellis is 100 times more responsible in his own end than Rielly, more physical, and even out produced him on NASHVILLE of all teams last season..... So go back to your mom's basement and yell at people on your computer, little boy. Its the only thing youre good at.... Pathetic.
although I agree that Ellis was better than Rielly last year (still fairly close IMO), but let's not pretend that playing with Josi/Ekholm as opposed to Ceci/Barrie wouldn't have a massive impact on your overall defensive impact.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
So what happens if we vote the best pairing to be Pietrangelo - Pietrangelo?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
although I agree that Ellis was better than Rielly last year (still fairly close IMO), but let's not pretend that playing with Josi/Ekholm as opposed to Ceci/Barrie wouldn't have a massive impact on your overall defensive impact.
of course it helps, but a blocked shot is an individual stat, and he had 96 in 49GP last season, and 154 BLK in 18-19. Find me how many Dmen can put up over 150 BLK a season while scoring 40-55 pts (on a poor offensive team no less). You wont find many at all.

Rielly has always been poor defensively regardless of who he plays with. Thats just who he is, and will always be. And now, he proved he isnt even all that great offensively (3G last year), and is very inconsistent... I guarantee Canada takes the more responsible and consistent Dman, as they always have int he past (Vlasic, Muzzin).

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I mean if we’re looking at analytics I’m not sure Chabot should be Canada’s #1D.

Chabot doesnt even maie the team, looking at analytics and in reality.

Being the best of a team diesnt mean youre good if its the worst team in the league.

Of we go on last year alone shea theodore is first pairing. Hes developed into a solid dman.

Last edited:
Reactions: SotasicA

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Theodore. Could be Chabot by the Olympics. I think there’s a clear top three for Canada on the left side for now. Rielly in third. Girard and Morrissey if Canada takes a 4th left shot.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
They should really move a RHD over if they're comfortable with it. Left side doesn't really have that much talent. I think a couple years ago lot of people would have expected Rielly, Chabot and Morrissey to be great options but frankly they're all overrated to various degrees. Rielly is a top pair offensively but would need to be sheltered in a best on best (and I'm a Leafs fan). Morrissey has regressed massively since Trouba left and appears more like a 2nd pairing guy right now. And Chabot just hasn't developed as well as his early promise teased.

Someone like Jared Spurgeon probably has no chance to make it but is easily better than those options imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad