Team Branding Thread (Logo, Colors, Uniforms, etc.)

What should the Seattle NHL franchise be called?

• Total voters

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm clearly away what's going on and have been saying that they'll announce something later on for some time now.

Though, it get's boring hearing the same quote of "it's not the right time" for nearly six months.
So I'm happy they've at least stated it will be this fall, but I hope they'll get more specific on that.

I mean, at some point they'll have to announce it and it won't be the huge celebration they've hoped for anyways, cause no matter if you're announcing it next week or in November, there still won't be a chance for a big gathering of people by then as well.

I'm guessing they already have something picked out and already gotten the trademark issues dealt with but NHL won't let them announce it due to the whole mess going on. League doesn't want bad PR.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm guessing they already have something picked out and already gotten the trademark issues dealt with but NHL won't let them announce it due to the whole mess going on. League doesn't want bad PR.
nevermind that, tommy, Seattle, at the same time, has to do almost double diligence in regards to Palm Springs, and getting that market up and running in the midst of this pandemic... and it's not a guarantee that yes, Palm Springs has been approved by when exactly does that market become as relevant sports-wise in a realistic sense.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
nevermind that, tommy, Seattle, at the same time, has to do almost double diligence in regards to Palm Springs, and getting that market up and running in the midst of this pandemic... and it's not a guarantee that yes, Palm Springs has been approved by when exactly does that market become as relevant sports-wise in a realistic sense.

OVG is handling the AHL arena.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
OVG is handling the AHL arena.
they may, be, tommy, but that's the other half of this not just the onus on OVG over Seattle, but they own that market..... once the pandemic goes away how long is the AHL going to be patient over Palm Springs if there are significant issues and/or delays..... that need to be addressed there independent of SCC, since there's no naming rights contract either in Seattle

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
they may, be, tommy, but that's the other half of this not just the onus on OVG over Seattle, but they own that market..... once the pandemic goes away how long is the AHL going to be patient over Palm Springs if there are significant issues and/or delays..... that need to be addressed there independent of SCC, since there's no naming rights contract either in Seattle

What has seattle city council got to do with Palm springs? What make you think AHL is suddenly going to pull the palm springs franchise away... So they are delayed a year due to something that is beyond everyone's control.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
got that, but Palm Springs is still a focus for Seattle/OVG, independent of the branding announcement and/or the pandemic.

Its two separate issues really. The worst that can happen is another NHL club shares their AHL team for a year.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Also - as much as I am interested in what the team name is, there is no rush in my opinion since we're still a year away from the team being official and involved in league activities.

The best time would be in the end of October or early November. Thus there would be plenty of time for holiday sales etc . Yet , who knows what the virus will be like by then.
Yeah - do it in between the two seasons and before the Christmas shopping season.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
... but I can’t fault OVG for getting mired in copyright holdups.

Trademark not copyright.

It's a logo/nickname/slogan vs music/movie/book/art IP (Intellectual Property) thing.

"Coca Cola" (TM) and "Coke" (TM) are trademarks. "Just Do It" (Nike's slogan) cannot be "copyrighted" as they weren't the first to use it; but they can claim trademark on the phrase and use it for merchandising, advertising, etc.

Realize that "Seattle Sockeyes" is trademarked (by romance author) for merchandising, etc. (Her books are protected by copyright.) She trademarked to protect the work she's done to develop her romance series and the associated merchandise and logo. She has indicated she's willing to allow NHL team to use the name, but obviously there would need to be some legal negotiations to do so.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Trademark not copyright.

It's a logo/nickname/slogan vs music/movie/book/art IP (Intellectual Property) thing.

"Coca Cola" (TM) and "Coke" (TM) are trademarks. "Just Do It" (Nike's slogan) cannot be "copyrighted" as they weren't the first to use it; but they can claim trademark on the phrase and use it for merchandising, advertising, etc.

Realize that "Seattle Sockeyes" is trademarked (by romance author) for merchandising, etc. (Her books are protected by copyright.) She trademarked to protect the work she's done to develop her romance series and the associated merchandise and logo. She has indicated she's willing to allow NHL team to use the name, but obviously there would need to be some legal negotiations to do so.
Thanks. You are correct.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Its two separate issues really. The worst that can happen is another NHL club shares their AHL team for a year.
tommy:

that went by the board the minute Palm Springs was announced and/or approved by the AHL BOG and by Seattle's intention to own and operate an affiliation.....

Seattle doesn't want potential prospects being operated by another organization's philosophy that isn't theirs, to be more specific... that's what sets the developmental angle back.... Edmonton tried that over 15 years ago now by thumbing their nose at the AHL In between delaying the operation of their franchise they owned but chose not to operate for 7 years until the League threatened to revocate the franchise from them.... then the odd 5 way affiliation the Oilers had for a year or so, which is why OKC was then later selected for 5 years as their affiliation (which ended the successful Blazers franchise in that market), as it was that ownership group that operated both franchises, and then the acquisition by Katz of the current Bakersfield Condors when the announcement of the Pacific Division came about 7 years ago.... that's why Edmonton agreed to sell the ECHL Version of the Condors to the Samuelis in Anaheim, to replace the Admirals franchise they bought from Ken Young in Norfolk, returning them to the league they left behind when Chicago brought them to the AHL in 2000.

the AHL WILL be wanting a status update, if they haven't been notified OVG, that is their plan, that's the SOP in how the league operates, pandemic or not...

Vegas overcame that by agreeing with St. Louis to operate Chicago when that deal expired even though it meant Binnington, primarily lost a year developmentally, until they agreed to assign him to Providence, then the Avalanche signed the deal to promote Colorado from the ECHL to the AHL, WHICH LEFT open San Antonio until this past season when Vegas bought the Rampage to place it in Henderson, temporarily at the Orleans, until that arena is completed....

see how one move in turn connects to more, that's the business of how the AHL Works today as compared to even 20-30-40 years ago...... I can still remember the days prior to the European seasons ending when they did, if you got lucky AHL/NHL Teams could sign those players and immediately those players were cleared.... which was the forerunner, if not the veteran players who stayed in every market, as part of the franchise identity, that you knew they'd be there as long as that franchise existed, instead of the total developmental model that currently exists today, even when the IHL was another option at the higher levels of minor league hockey.....

the AHL even now, has a youtube highlight reel subscription service..... as there are clips of various highlights and/or entire games, even playoff games between existing and/or past markets.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
tommy:

that went by the board the minute Palm Springs was announced and/or approved by the AHL BOG and by Seattle's intention to own and operate an affiliation.....

Seattle doesn't want potential prospects being operated by another organization's philosophy that isn't theirs, to be more specific... that's what sets the developmental angle back.... Edmonton tried that over 15 years ago now by thumbing their nose at the AHL In between delaying the operation of their franchise they owned but chose not to operate for 7 years until the League threatened to revocate the franchise from them.... then the odd 5 way affiliation the Oilers had for a year or so, which is why OKC was then later selected for 5 years as their affiliation (which ended the successful Blazers franchise in that market), as it was that ownership group that operated both franchises, and then the acquisition by Katz of the current Bakersfield Condors when the announcement of the Pacific Division came about 7 years ago.... that's why Edmonton agreed to sell the ECHL Version of the Condors to the Samuelis in Anaheim, to replace the Admirals franchise they bought from Ken Young in Norfolk, returning them to the league they left behind when Chicago brought them to the AHL in 2000.

the AHL WILL be wanting a status update, if they haven't been notified OVG, that is their plan, that's the SOP in how the league operates, pandemic or not...

Vegas overcame that by agreeing with St. Louis to operate Chicago when that deal expired even though it meant Binnington, primarily lost a year developmentally, until they agreed to assign him to Providence, then the Avalanche signed the deal to promote Colorado from the ECHL to the AHL, WHICH LEFT open San Antonio until this past season when Vegas bought the Rampage to place it in Henderson, temporarily at the Orleans, until that arena is completed....

see how one move in turn connects to more, that's the business of how the AHL Works today as compared to even 20-30-40 years ago...... I can still remember the days prior to the European seasons ending when they did, if you got lucky AHL/NHL Teams could sign those players and immediately those players were cleared.... which was the forerunner, if not the veteran players who stayed in every market, as part of the franchise identity, that you knew they'd be there as long as that franchise existed, instead of the total developmental model that currently exists today, even when the IHL was another option at the higher levels of minor league hockey.....

the AHL even now, has a youtube highlight reel subscription service..... as there are clips of various highlights and/or entire games, even playoff games between existing and/or past markets.

And Vegas says hello when they shared another teams affiliate when the AHL only had 30 teams before colorado promoted an ECHL team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
And Vegas says hello when they shared another teams affiliate when the AHL only had 30 teams before colorado promoted an ECHL team.
Vegas acquired Chicago, tommy....just as they did San Antonio from SSE, you made my point....when Colorado promoted the Eagles, St. Louis took over in San Antonio, but the year prior to that, the Blues had no direct affiliation with anyone, that's why Binnington was loaned by Doug Armstrong to Providence. The Blues also sold their affiliate to Vancouver when they arrived in Chicago, which is why VAN and Esche have run that franchise in tandem SINCE 2014....

league rules require an affiliation must be in hand when the proposal is voted to either reject or approve any market, no matter who the respondent is, whether it's Seattle, in the case of Palm Springs, as has been described.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Vegas acquired Chicago, tommy....just as they did San Antonio from SSE, you made my point....when Colorado promoted the Eagles, St. Louis took over in San Antonio, but the year prior to that, the Blues had no direct affiliation with anyone, that's why Binnington was loaned by Doug Armstrong to Providence. The Blues also sold their affiliate to Vancouver when they arrived in Chicago, which is why VAN and Esche have run that franchise in tandem SINCE 2014....

league rules require an affiliation must be in hand when the proposal is voted to either reject or approve any market, no matter who the respondent is, whether it's Seattle, in the case of Palm Springs, as has been described.

btw When Vegas first joined the the NHL there was only 30 AHL teams. St louis had chicago as their Affiliate so Vegas shared with the blues for a year then Colorado promoted ECHL Colorado Eagles to AHL and St Louis went with SA Scorpions leaving Vegas with Chicago. Right now there there is no agreement with chicago.

Vegas then bought S Scorpions and moved them to Vegas. Blues went with Springfield thunderbirds. Florida is AHL less and chicago is NHL less.

And if palm springs can't start until 22-23 nothing says another NHL club can share their AHL with Seattle. Vegas and st louis sharing a AHL team says you can.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
The NHL Seattle expansion team is making progress toward the announcement of its name, logo and colors.

"Some have speculated it's a long time off. It's not," NHL Seattle CEO Tod Leiweke said Thursday. "Vegas did it a year out. We'll do it well in advance of that."

---

NHL Seattle is going through the trademark process with multiple finalists.

"If you camp out on one name with everything that happens in the trademark world, you put yourself at some risk, so we've got a handful of names that we think can work," Leiweke said. "We probably have a leader in the clubhouse. But we're working away on it. And it's not going to happen this afternoon, but it won't be too far off."

---

Images of the building released Thursday used shades of green and some light blue.

"Obviously the colors that fit with the climate pledge are green," Leiweke said. "I'm not sure I'd read into that. The team is going to have its own unique identity, and colors and wordmarks, all those things, are going to go into what we think will be a fantastic brand when we're done."

NHL Seattle expansion team making progress on nickname

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Sounds nice.

Though we won't know when the 2021-22 season will start(which will be later as usual thanks to the current situation) and therefore we could still be waiting till sometime in October/November.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Was watching CSPAN book discussion (filmed in January) on the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans, first US team to win the Stanley Cup.

In the Q&A it was mentioned it was very unlikely that the new NHL Seattle team would re-use the name "Metropolitan". First, there's a MLB team with that name. Secondly, there's a NHL division with that name.

(Now they might have some banners or other commemoration of the earlier team, but I agree they won't be named that.)

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Was watching CSPAN book discussion (filmed in January) on the 1917 Seattle Metropolitans, first US team to win the Stanley Cup.

In the Q&A it was mentioned it was very unlikely that the new NHL Seattle team would re-use the name "Metropolitan". First, there's a MLB team with that name. Secondly, there's a NHL division with that name.

(Now they might have some banners or other commemoration of the earlier team, but I agree they won't be named that.)
The Mets is not officially short for Metropolitans. The legal entity that is the Mets changed their name before they played their first ever season.

Even if that weren’t the case, I don’t think they are going to refuse to be the Metropolitans because the name is taken in baseball; it’s because the Mets are a laughingstock of baseball.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Announcement of team name is tomorrow. Hopefully colors, logos, and jerseys will be revealed as well.

I think it will be Sockeye(s) with teal and salmon as the primary colors. I’m just purely guessing at that.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
I'm hoping it'll be the Kraken or Sockeyes..but whatever the actual name will be, it's sure an exciting time for you guys! I'm excited for you guys!

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Based on their Insta video post I’ve concluded they’re going to be the Seattle Ferries.

In all seriousness, the colors and commercial fishing in that video make me think it’s going to be Sockeyes, with the salmon and teal colors used on the reported dark navy base. I’m thinking something like the old Kelowna Rockets jerseys.

14125647_web1_181023-KCN-Rockets-MTiel-18.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->