Team Branding Thread (Logo, Colors, Uniforms, etc.)

What should the Seattle NHL franchise be called?

• Total voters

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
kinda hard when you can't do a public revealing then sell stuff right away
I have assumed they will wait until they can get a group (<50 ppl with distancing) together - so still may be until Phase 3 in King County BUT waiting for that still may be 2 more months or longer...

Now with the current situation, timing is the key, when will it be the biggest bang. You do it too early, there will be people complaining that they did it in the middle of this pandemic and are out of touch with the community. You delay it an there will be people complaining (see this thread and any post NHL Seattle does) about delays and thinking they don't have their shit together. NHL needs to announce official restart plan/timeline first (nearly there)... Then do you do it while the teams are prepping for this tournament? Do you do it in the middle of the tournament? Do you do it after the tournament? Do you do it at/around the draft?

Selling merchandise will not be the problem... Amazon, online retailers, grocery stores, any open store can sell this stuff.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I have assumed they will wait until they can get a group (<50 ppl with distancing) together - so still may be until Phase 3 in King County BUT waiting for that still may be 2 more months or longer...

Now with the current situation, timing is the key, when will it be the biggest bang. You do it too early, there will be people complaining that they did it in the middle of this pandemic and are out of touch with the community. You delay it an there will be people complaining (see this thread and any post NHL Seattle does) about delays and thinking they don't have their shit together. NHL needs to announce official restart plan/timeline first (nearly there)... Then do you do it while the teams are prepping for this tournament? Do you do it in the middle of the tournament? Do you do it after the tournament? Do you do it at/around the draft?

Selling merchandise will not be the problem... Amazon, online retailers, grocery stores, any open store can sell this stuff.

To frank i have no idea what our governor is even doing. Could be longer than a few months. Amazon would consider this as non essential stuff so it won't be getting anything in until they are no longer doing essential stuff only.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Literally cannot understand why anyone would want the name "Totems." It's a ******* pole.

If you think the Stanford Cardinal's "tree" mascot is bad, wait until you see Fritz - The Seattle stationary wooden cylinder!

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area

My original point was it should have been done before the Covid hit. IMHO this should have been done last November.
They would have had a month plus before the X-mas to sell swag.

Most were employed back then. Now with the unemployment at an all time high many won’t be able to buy the new teams gear.

IMHO they outsmarted Themselves.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My original point was it should have been done before the Covid hit. IMHO this should have been done last November.
They would have had a month plus before the X-mas to sell swag.

Most were employed back then. Now with the unemployment at an all time high many won’t be able to buy the new teams gear.

IMHO they outsmarted Themselves.

It should have been done earily 2019 as it was orginally planned before the team got pushed back a year...

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Rather concerned the boobery already shown by this organization by seemingly being unable to decide on things like a team name or logo in over a year and especially during these optimal times for PR is demonstrating what we can expect in the future.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Rather concerned the boobery already shown by this organization by seemingly being unable to decide on things like a team name or logo in over a year and especially during these optimal times for PR is demonstrating what we can expect in the future.

Its not optimal times when you can't even have a public gathering for it. The most the team can do is a digital only reveal nothing more. The team doesn't even start playing for another whole year. Oh btw how great is it to have a name way sooner than having to deal with people potentially objecting to it and thus dealing with trade mark legal issues like Vegas did.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Its not optimal times when you can't even have a public gathering for it. The most the team can do is a digital only reveal nothing more. The team doesn't even start playing for another whole year. Oh btw how great is it to have a name way sooner than having to deal with people potentially objecting to it and thus dealing with trade mark legal issues like Vegas did.
I see what you are saying, but they have had plenty of time to figure it out. They’ve had a fan polling on names and I’m sure they already had any copyright issues looked into.

I had a great NHL hockey buzz for the first time in my life when they announced we are getting a
Team, that is starting to die off before they drop the puck for the first time.

While Covid-19 is slowing down in this area, that and now the daily/nightly protests are to be respected, when is the right time?

We have a volatile Presidential election coming in early November There’s going to be a lot of PO’ed people no matter who’s elected.

I have zero problems with a virtual announcement of the name, colors, and uniforms, I’m not invited to that ceremony anyways.

Am I being selfish on my feelings about this situation? Yes!
Sports are a great distraction to all of the BS that happens in life, it’s a great escape, and that’s what we need now or at least sometime real soon IMHO.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I see what you are saying, but they have had plenty of time to figure it out. They’ve had a fan polling on names and I’m sure they already had any copyright issues looked into.

I had a great NHL hockey buzz for the first time in my life when they announced we are getting a
Team, that is starting to die off before they drop the puck for the first time.

While Covid-19 is slowing down in this area, that and now the daily/nightly protests are to be respected, when is the right time?

We have a volatile Presidential election coming in early November There’s going to be a lot of PO’ed people no matter who’s elected.

I have zero problems with a virtual announcement of the name, colors, and uniforms, I’m not invited to that ceremony anyways.

Am I being selfish on my feelings about this situation? Yes!
Sports are a great distraction to all of the BS that happens in life, it’s a great escape, and that’s what we need now or at least sometime real soon IMHO.

Who knows to be honest. To be frank I'm kinda expect they'll do just a digital reveal at some point and call it good. Fans won't be happy but what can the team do.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I've been thinking more and more that it will be Thunderbirds.

Delay in announcement likely due to A> finalizing deal with WHL team for trademark & copyrights B> waiting for the end of the CHL season before <A> can happen C> The WHL team could rebrand to be a Kent or south sound team moreso than Seattle since they are like 20 miles away from the city of Seattle limits anyway which I recall to be a want with the lease with the City of Kent at Showare Arena. Seattle or Kent Jr Thunderbirds could still be viable name for the WHL team. With the AHL team also aligning to be Firebirds, these work hand in hand together.

Reactions: Harbessix

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Who knows to be honest. To be frank I'm kinda expect they'll do just a digital reveal at some point and call it good. Fans won't be happy but what can the team do.

I'm pretty sure it will be an online reveau(you could do some fun stuff with that as well) as there's still no immunity or vaccine in sight.

Though, given that Francis, during his interviews, always talks about how they're finalizing stuff to, especially, avoid any legal actions I'm pretty sure they've already chosen the name.

I would've liked it to be revealed abojut right now(with nothing else going on and taking away any attention) but I guess October/November could be more like it.
At that point this playoff tournament should be over, whle the new season won't start before December.
It would also be about a year before the team starts playing as the 2021-22 season will most likely start later than usual as well.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
I agree name the dam team already first its Jan 2020,Feb then maybe sometime in March/April then still waiting why surprise everyone and reveal it at the 2020 NHL entry draft and be the talk of the draft.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Wasn’t the previous word on the streets that they had a name picked out, but were making sure their t’s and i’s were crossed and dotted in the legal sense? This makes it sound like they’re running into major walls and drawing up alternative plans. It’s frustrating as f***, but I can’t fault OVG for getting mired in copyright holdups.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
OVG has to say something like that. Can you imagine if they said the name has been picked and logos and colors are all approved?
There would be so much pressure to announce it. So, they are more concerned with the release date and they should be. In my opinion this is just a smoke screen and they do in fact have everything already finalized.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I get that they have to say things like that.

Still, at what point will there be the "right time" for this?
At this rate we'll start the 2021-22 season as the Seattle TBD.....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I get that they have to say things like that.

Still, at what point will there be the "right time" for this?
At this rate we'll start the 2021-22 season as the Seattle TBD.....

You do realize that isn't going to happen. I have a feeling its on the NHL as to why we aren't announcing the name. They are telling NHL Seattle to not reveal the name during this mess

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
You do realize that isn't going to happen. I have a feeling its on the NHL as to why we aren't announcing the name. They are telling NHL Seattle to not reveal the name during this mess

I'm clearly away what's going on and have been saying that they'll announce something later on for some time now.

Though, it get's boring hearing the same quote of "it's not the right time" for nearly six months.
So I'm happy they've at least stated it will be this fall, but I hope they'll get more specific on that.

I mean, at some point they'll have to announce it and it won't be the huge celebration they've hoped for anyways, cause no matter if you're announcing it next week or in November, there still won't be a chance for a big gathering of people by then as well.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
The best time would be in the end of October or early November. Thus there would be plenty of time for holiday sales etc . Yet , who knows what the virus will be like by then.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The best time would be in the end of October or early November. Thus there would be plenty of time for holiday sales etc . Yet , who knows what the virus will be like by then.

Yeah, I expect it at that point anyways.

By then this Stanley Cup tournament will be over and the draft + free agency should've happened as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->