Team Branding Thread (Logo, Colors, Uniforms, etc.)

What should the Seattle NHL franchise be called?

• Total voters

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Hmm.. Not sure if you're being ignorant or inconsiderate. Try replacing "something" with "a sacred artifact".

People from every walk of like are making totem poles and have been for quite some time.

And even if it was only Native’s making them, so what? They are man made objects that are damned cool to look at.

SJW’s want to cry about everything.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
People from every walk of like are making totem poles and have been for quite some time.

And even if it was only Native’s making them, so what? They are man made objects that are damned cool to look at.

SJW’s want to cry about everything.
Pretty sure they are more than man made objects to many of the natives.

And even if they weren't, asking the people whose cultural heritage they are would be the right thing to do.

Kind of like you wouldn't call them Seattle Spidermans without Marvel's permission...awesome as it would be.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's Spider-man® (not Spiderman). Not owned as part of "Marvel Universe" (by Disney), but I think it's controlled by Warner Brothers.

Problem is intellectual property rights (trademark, copyright). Spider-man® is a registered trademark (that little R in circle). Wouldn't be able to do any word-marked clothing or other goods at that would conflict. Couldn't use any of the graphics that are copyrighted © (and trademarked) as well.

I'll go back to one of the criteria San Jose used when they were selecting their name. First, it couldn't be in use by any other (pro) sports team in North America. (Second - wanted to evoke an emotion when you heard the name. Third, didn't want it able to be abbreviated.)

I haven't heard (succinctly) what criteria the OVG organization is using in selecting a nickname. But originality is probably high.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Pretty sure they are more than man made objects to many of the natives.

And even if they weren't, asking the people whose cultural heritage they are would be the right thing to do.

Kind of like you wouldn't call them Seattle Spidermans without Marvel's permission...awesome as it would be.

Again, what about the fact that virtually every concept for a Seattle team including all Sockeyes branding features native style art. That is cultural appropriation and may be considered offensive but not a peep from the PC police on here.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Again, what about the fact that virtually every concept for a Seattle team including all Sockeyes branding features native style art. That is cultural appropriation and may be considered offensive but not a peep from the PC police on here.
OK? So maybe the PC police doesn't care. I sure don't.
However, naming the team totems without checking it's OK with the natives is something quite different from a style inspired by native art.

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
I understand the significance of the "Sockeyes" name, but the alliteration of "Seattle Sockeyes" is so amateur.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
even you yourself think offending Native Americans is totally cool beans (and I think if you believe this you really need to retoggle your basic capacity for empathy), consider that this team is located in Seattle and will be dependent on Seattlites writ large and the corporate community there to get behind them. A name that is potentially offensive is probably a no-go without robust tribal backing.

A logo is one thing. It is not at all hard to find an indigenous artist to create a Sockeyes logo for you and reap the good PR. An entire name and brand is a different magnitude of proposition.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Sasquatch (I wish.. but it'll never happen.:DD)
squatchpatch.jpg

Reactions: Sam Steel

Rosko Thorn

Jul 4, 2009
Sudbury, ON
I’m honestly surprised that the Seattle Fire and the Seattle Underground haven’t gotten any traction.

Both of these names have solid history in the city.

Fire may be too similar to flames, but I think the Underground sounds sick and would give an artist a pretty blank slate for logo/colour scheme. I can see a dark blue and purple scheme with a single street light illuminating an understated wordmark of the team name.

Made this quickly on my phone for context
large.png

But that’s just me.

Last edited:

Ike8228

Aug 19, 2019
^Even though I'm not the biggest fan of "Kraken", that's really cool looking in my book.
Ya the color scheme is interesting too. Everything has been about green and blue mostly, but the ocean is more real/turquoise than blue and may be a earthy toned to the scheme after all. Paired with the gold looks clean.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
Apparently...only 24 more sleeps 'til the name's revealed (at the All-Star game? Jan. 25th)
What d'ya think?...Nautical? Indigenous? Rustic?(maybe w/some plaid) Other?...

RIbfTGL.jpg

5tZgRZX.jpg

m5NjhQg.jpg

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->