Team Boards ATD

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hey folks. Over the past couple months I've been doing an ATD through the team boards, using the following rules. Admittedly I did not know that this board existed at the time, but now that I do, I thought you guys might want to see how round 1 (of 2, perhaps 3 at the max) went.

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). This also includes players like Tretiak who never had an NHL career but are hockey legends in their own right. All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. Consider how a player might fit into your organization and team in the now & in the future when drafting them.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Imo, the biggest steals were/are Richard at 16, Hull at 23, Shore at 28, and Morenz at 31. The biggest reaches were/are Forsberg at 13, Bure at 14, and Hawerchuk at 18

1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- Jean Beliveau
9. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Messier
10. Arizona Coyotes- Eric Lindros
11. Minnesota Wild- Joe Sakic
12. Vancouver Canucks- Steve Yzerman
13. Nashville Predators- Peter Forsberg
14. Florida Panthers- Pavel Bure
15. Calgary Flames- Mike Bossy
16. New York Rangers- Maurice Richard
17. Winnipeg Jets- Dale Hawerchuk
18. New York Islanders- Denis Potvin
19. Columbus Blue Jackets- Guy Lafleur
20. Toronto Maple Leafs- Patrick Roy
21. Carolina Hurricanes- Ray Bourque
22. Dallas Stars- Doug Harvey
23. Edmonton Oilers- Bobby Hull
24. Vegas Golden Knights- Martin Brodeur
25. Pittsburgh Penguins- Ron Francis
26. Philadelphia Flyers- Bobby Clarke
27. Washington Capitals- Phil Esposito
28. Tampa Bay Lightning- Eddie Shore
29. Colorado Avalanche- Paul Coffey
30. St Louis Blues- Chris Pronger
31. Boston Bruins- Howie Morenz

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Doug Harvey at 22?

Eric Lindros at 10?

Red Kelly undrafted?

Lindros at 10 is likely due to point 5, b/c without injuries Lindros could've been a monster. Forsberg, Bure, and Bossy also probably owe their placements to that point, albeit to a lesser extent for Bossy

As for Harvey and Kelly? My guess is recency bias. (I had to shill pretty hard for people to remember that Shore & Morenz actually existed)

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Other notables not yet taken:

C: Marcel Dionne, Adam Oates, Sergei Fedorov, Stan Mikita, Bryan Trottier, Red Kelly (C/D), Frank Nighbor, Alex Delvecchio, Cyclone Taylor
LW/RW: Brendan Shanahan, Ted Lindsay, Frank Mahovlich, Teemu Selanne, Jarome Iginla, Brett Hull, Cam Neely, Bill Cook, Sergei Makarov, Valeri Kharlamov, Jari Kurri
D: Larry Robinson, Scott Stevens, Brad Park, Brian Leetch, Slava Fetisov, Al MacInnis, Chris Chelios, Larry Murphy, Pierre Pilote, King Clancy
G: Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk, Vladislav Tretiak, Ken Dryden, Glenn Hall

Got any more suggestions on that front?

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Lindros at 10 is likely due to point 5, b/c without injuries Lindros could've been a monster.
Without sugar, candy would be healthy.

Lindros played a HEAD-DOWN style that would have sent him to the hospital in the Eddie Shore era, the O6 era and the Broadstreet Bullies 70's. I heard a lot of criticism of him needing to keep his head up and anticipate hits. The fact is he bullied through juniors based on his size playing a RISKY style of play. His injuries are not freak occurrences but part and parcel of his style of play.

As well, if you "turned off" all consideration of injury likelihood, how the heck was Orr drafted 3rd rather than the runaway #1!!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Actually better than I'd have expected, coming from a wider group of fans than those of us with an intense focus on the history of the sport.

Lindros, Bure, Hawerchuk, and Francis stand out as bad picks, the later two of the "homer" variety when you see the fanbases voting.

Edit: I guess Lindros and Bure can be excused with the "pretend they never get injured" clause, though as VI said, that seems like magical thinking, especially for Lindros

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Lindros played a HEAD-DOWN style that would have sent him to the hospital in the Eddie Shore era, the O6 era and the Broadstreet Bullies 70's. I heard a lot of criticism of him needing to keep his head up and anticipate hits. The fact is he bullied through juniors based on his size playing a RISKY style of play. His injuries are not freak occurrences but part and parcel of his style of play.

As well, if you "turned off" all consideration of injury likelihood, how the heck was Orr drafted 3rd rather than the runaway #1!!

Because Gretzky is the Great One. At least in my opinion, even with injuries disregarded entirely Gretzky's still the better player, but it's closer. Orr should've gone at 2 though

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Other notables not yet taken: Dionne, Oates, Fedorov, Plante, Selanne, Sawchuk, MacInnis, Chelios, Robinson, Stevens, Park, Mikita, Leetch, Iginla, Trottier, Brett Hull, Shanahan, Murphy, Lindsay, Tretiak, Neely, Red Kelly, Frank Nighbor

Got any more suggestions on that front?

Some good names there, but guys like Oates, Shanahan, Murphy, and Neely have zero business in that group.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Some good names there, but guys like Oates, Shanahan, Murphy, and Neely have zero business in that group.

Hey look mate, if it means a better player makes it to my Rangers in round 2, i could care less lol. You never know with recency bias

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I was hoping one of Harvey or Shore would fall to the Rangers, and they both did. But having Richard available at the same spot was just too much for me to pass up when casting my own vote

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I was hoping one of Harvey or Shore would fall to the Rangers, and they both did. But having Richard available at the same spot was just too much for me to pass up when casting my own vote
(Richard is overrated)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

But if Eddie Shore gets to upgrade based on era, why doesn't Lindros get to make one small tweak to his game? The game has changed a lot in the last 20 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad