Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A series of polls for the forthcoming draft. Picks will be decided by vote.

Results Thread

PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU ARE A FAN OF THE TEAM PICKING!

1 day poll

Who will Philly pick?

1.:sabres Owen Power (D) Univ. of Michigan

2. :seattle Matthew Beniers (C) Univ. of Michigan

3. :ducksLuke Hughes (D) U.S. National U18 Team

4. :devilsBrandt Clarke (D) HC Nove Zamky

5. :cbjMason McTavish (C) Olten

6.:wingsSimon Edvinsson (D) Frölunda HC

7. :sharksWilliam Eklund (C/LW) Djurgårdens

8. :kingsDylan Guenther (LW/RW) Edmonton Oil Kings

9.:nucksKent Johnson (C) Univ. of Michigan

10. :sensChaz Lucius (C) U.S. National U18 Team

11. :hawksFabian Lysell (RW) Luleå

12. :flamesCole Sillinger (C) Sioux Falls Stampede

13. :flyersMatthew Coronato (LW) Chicago Steel

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersfan187

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Tempted to pick one of the goalies as BPA at this spot. Ultimately went Coronato to fulfill a prospect system weakness (scorer).

Edit: forgot about Foerster. Still think Coronato has the most dynamic qualities of any player still available

Last edited:
Reactions: Magua

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tempted to pick one of the goalies as BPA at this spot. Ultimately went Coronato to fulfill a prospect system weakness (scorer).

Edit: forgot about Foerster. Still think Coronato has the most dynamic qualities of any player still available

Coronato just feels like one of “my guys” this class I latch onto.

I can’t watch him and not think he’s driving play. For a guy who’s pretty average in a straight line (I think he gets to where he needs; he’s not slow and is always moving; there’s definitely some technique to clean up, which isn’t a bad thing in terms of upside), his footwork and edges and understanding of space is there. Like he really looks to be head manning transitions, and he’s got great hands. Real fire hydrant and physical kid too through contact, so he can get through defenders in varied ways. I think the scoring is legit; he’s quite well rounded and creative.

In some ways he reminds me of a bigger Brink stylistically. I think there’s top 6 scoring upside in a draft where I have some upside skepticism for players, even ones I like.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Ugggh. Torn between Lambos, L'Heureux, Coronato and Raty. Raty scares me a little. L'Heureux is a guy I can see them taking. He has a Marchand like skill set and attitude, and the Flyers need guys who are hard to play against and have upside, he checks the boxes. Lambos is a very good, hard to play against second pair defender. Despite what we on the board think about the amount of good young defensemen the Flyers have, we don't have one like Lambos, and you never have enough quality D. In the end I chose the best player available. I am very high on Carter Hart, but have been burned by goaltending too much since Hextall, so I chose Wallstedt. Might as well have two great goalies if we can.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
From my view, this is kind of a worst case scenario for the Flyers. I am hoping someone takes a goalie. That will leave one of Lucius, McTavish, Sillinger, or Lysell sitting there. As is I am still torn between Wallstedt, Lambos (who was my first choice, before settling on Wallstedt), or L'Heureux, who I think are the three top choices there as fits for the Flyers.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
From my view, this is kind of a worst case scenario for the Flyers. I am hoping someone takes a goalie. That will leave one of Lucius, McTavish, Sillinger, or Lysell sitting there. As is I am still torn between Wallstedt, Lambos (who was my first choice, before settling on Wallstedt), or L'Heureux, who I think are the three top choices there as fits for the Flyers.
This is pretty much how I look at it, as well. Although, I wouldn't take Wallstedt at 13, just because I'm against taking goalies in round 1. They are incredibly unpredictable.

Lysell would be fun to have in the system, just because he's hysterical to watch play, but I'm skeptical about his NHL scoring potential. He's incredibly fast and high-motor, plays with his hair on fire and should make for a great penalty killer, but he gives the impression he kind of does his own thing out there, and he forces a lot of plays. I'm not sure he sees the ice well as he goes a mile a minute with his feet and his head. He's also quite small, so getting to the net consistently in the NHL could be a problem (aside from counter-attacks) and he hasn't shown a great goal-scoring touch against higher levels of competition. I see why people like him because his style jumps out on video, but I wouldn't take Lysell over McTavish, Sillinger, or Lambos, or Lucius. Close with L'Heureux, but I'd probably lean L'Heureux because he's more physical and may have more goal-scoring upside.

Reactions: IronMarshal

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Trade back. Would love to pick up an early-mid 2nd round. Should be a quality defenseman or two available then.

If not, I'm ready to get my heart broke by another Russian Center. Going to need depth up the middle once Hayesy gets moved to the wing.

I like Coronato also if we are swinging on pure skill and would pick him here to break a tie. He's certainly a skilled shooter (20+ percent each of the last two seasons), but at good not great volume. I wonder how that translates to the higher levels when obviously the competition level is better, but maybe more importantly, the quality of teammates isn't as good relatively speaking (Chicago is a wagoooon). He's a solid playmaker also so he checks the dual-threat boxes I am looking for high in the draft. He's not all that dissimilar to Foerster last year, albeit with less size and better skating.

Elite Prospects had this in their write-ups. They have Samoskevich ahead of Coronato, and while I'm not there, this tidbit is interesting:

upload_2021-6-17_12-36-21.png

Harvard has been producing quality NHLers for the last half decade so the Chicago --> Harvard path is a solid one if your prioritize that thing. Harvard is too good for their league so I expect he'll shred the ECAC as soon as next season (Long Island kid going to Harvard, hopefully he doesn't have NYR bedsheets like Fox).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The board never falls like it has so far in this poll. Every year some GM reaches or unexpectedly takes a goalie. Something like that. We didn't think we had a shot at Farabee in 2018. In 2019 we didn't think we'd have shot at Caufield OR Boldy, and had a shot at both before passing on them.

I'm guessing 1 of those 4 that you like will be ther at 13.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Samoskevich's raw tools certainly appear to be on another level in comparison to Coronato. He just has an element of speed, pace, and hand skill that I'm not sure Coronato has in his bag as a rush attacker, but you have to reconcile the disparity in production. It's not really close in Coronato's favor - especially considering they are the same age and both in there second year with Chicago. Usage is one component, but even if you break it down to focus on only results with each on the ice, Coronato still edges him out with greater defensive impact.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Samoskevich's raw tools certainly appear to be on another level in comparison to Coronato. He just has an element of speed, pace, and hand skill that I'm not sure Coronato has in his bag as a rush attacker, but you have to reconcile the disparity in production. It's not really close in Coronato's favor - especially considering they are the same age and both in there second year with Chicago. Usage is one component, but even if you break it down to focus on only results with each on the ice, Coronato still edges him out with greater defensive impact.

I'm looking forward to reading about this and much more in both of the draft previews that you and Magua are preparing.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Trade back. Would love to pick up an early-mid 2nd round. Should be a quality defenseman or two available then.

If not, I'm ready to get my heart broke by another Russian Center. Going to need depth up the middle once Hayesy gets moved to the wing.

I like Coronato also if we are swinging on pure skill and would pick him here to break a tie. He's certainly a skilled shooter (20+ percent each of the last two seasons), but at good not great volume. I wonder how that translates to the higher levels when obviously the competition level is better, but maybe more importantly, the quality of teammates isn't as good relatively speaking (Chicago is a wagoooon). He's a solid playmaker also so he checks the dual-threat boxes I am looking for high in the draft. He's not all that dissimilar to Foerster last year, albeit with less size and better skating.

Elite Prospects had this in their write-ups. They have Samoskevich ahead of Coronato, and while I'm not there, this tidbit is interesting:

View attachment 447357

Harvard has been producing quality NHLers for the last half decade so the Chicago --> Harvard path is a solid one if your prioritize that thing. Harvard is too good for their league so I expect he'll shred the ECAC as soon as next season (Long Island kid going to Harvard, hopefully he doesn't have NYR bedsheets like Fox).

I would have gone Svechkov as well, but I had to back the most votes against Raty.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would have gone Svechkov as well, but I had to back the most votes against Raty.

Raty would scare the bejeezus out of me. I just don’t trust he’s not a bust. He’s got solid size, skating, work ethic, he came into the season as a potential top 5-10 pick. But he just looks so nothing burger offensively, especially for an ‘02 birthday with over a season in Liiga. I don’t think his stats are a mirage. Nothing burger might undersell it — he doesn’t look like he has a clue.

From watching a couple games, his time with the puck is so scant. He plays hot potato with it; he doesn’t really do anything except hurriedly get it off his stick. His handle looks quite sloppy under pressure too. Maybe his work ethic and tools allow him to carve out some role, but man, I wouldn’t touch him. It’s not even a boom/bust thing. I don’t see boom. Svechkov can be a little passive himself, but his skill and puck work and poise is so so much obviously better as a projectable middle 6 type center, floor and ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->