Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alex Vlasic, D, USNTP (BU Commit)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hey @RoyalHabs - there is a visitor option. And vote changing is enabled for this poll. Do the right thing?

@Lucbourdon and @Kreider Luvs Goalies and @shotvalley - you guys can think about it too?

There is a consensus draft going on on the main prospect board right now. There is also a mock draft forum on this site. This thread is a TEAM board mock. Fans of the TEAM who post on this forum are the ones supposed to be inflaming outcomes. If fans from other teams vote on other forums then the entire exercise is completely pointless.

Just change your vote to the visitor option.
I changed it.
I meant no harm whatsoever lol
Voting is fun

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Same.

And Broberg is the only one with votes from other fans. Other players in the poll are all Yotes fans.
If you want to take a census after the poll locks and give me the real count.

I also find all the votes for Pat Buchanan suspect.

Reactions: MIG

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I voted Lavoie because there had been some talk about his playoff performances and he is listed as a C in addition to playing wing, so that versatility is nice relative to Brink or Kaliyev. Plus, you cant teach size, although I am not certain how well Lavoie uses it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I voted Lavoie because there had been some talk about his playoff performances and he is listed as a C in addition to playing wing, so that versatility is nice relative to Brink or Kaliyev. Plus, you cant teach size, although I am not certain how well Lavoie uses it.
He’s been great this playoffs it seems. He’s the kind of player you want in the playoffs. He hasn’t been a center for two years, iirc. He’s a pure winger like Brink and Kaliyev. He’s also 11 months older than them.

Last edited:

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I had to vote Kaliyev, can't argue the production and age. Don't see the comparison with Perlini though, much higher hockey IQ than perlini who's had that as his question mark since he was drafted.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He’s been great this playoffs it seems. He’s the kind of player you want in the playoffs. He hasn’t been a center for two years, iirc. He’s a pure winger like Brink and Kaliyev. He’s also 11 months older than them.

Mayelbe the center thing is overstating his ability to play there, since he hasn't done so in a while. But I also look at that as one of those factors as to how Hayton may have been endearing to management. It gives the impression that if you can play a second position, you know where everyone is on the ice, and not just knowing your own assignment.

The age thing has become a topic as of late, but if the talent and production is there, that is less of a concern to me if you are 6-11 months older. Relatively speaking, these are all peers. It's a different story if we were talking an overager relative to an 18 year old, although some players develop far later.

rt

May 13, 2004
Mayelbe the center thing is overstating his ability to play there, since he hasn't done so in a while. But I also look at that as one of those factors as to how Hayton may have been endearing to management. It gives the impression that if you can play a second position, you know where everyone is on the ice, and not just knowing your own assignment.

The age thing has become a topic as of late, but if the talent and production is there, that is less of a concern to me if you are 6-11 months older. Relatively speaking, these are all peers. It's a different story if we were talking an overager relative to an 18 year old, although some players develop far later.
Lavoie has had an entire extra development year. Eligibility at minor levels doesn’t mirror eligibility for NHL draft.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Lavoie has had an entire extra development year. Eligibility at minor levels doesn’t mirror eligibility for NHL draft.

Without that extra year, we'd still be looking at a 30 goal scorer and roughly PPG type of player in his draft year with Lavoie.

I was reading through some scouting reports on him, and there were 3 elements that I took notice of:

1. Scouting reports do say he is better suited to wing, but he has played all 3 forward positions while with Halifax at some point in his time there.
2. Two write-ups stated that he was willing to do the necessary things for team success (i.e. going to dirty areas and absorbing some hits in front of the net or putting himself in shooting lanes and blocking shots defensively).
3. This was what one scout wrote up on Lavoie:

"A puck-possessing machine with speed, size and excellent awareness in the offensive zone, Lavoie is a versatile forward who can wear many hats from start to finish. He owns an excellent shot, both for its quick release and also for its velocity, and Lavoie’s penchant for creating his own chances expands the ice for his linemates."

Considering that the last bolded statement was one of the reasons why management wasn't happy with Strome's development, does this not sound a lot like the type of player that Chayka would be interested in?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Who's a good comparable for Kaliyev? I want to say Alexei Kovalev, but Kovalev leaned more toward assists and Kaliyev is more of a goal guy. I think the comparison is fair though in terms of consistency of effort.

Edit: Prospect board uses Vanek. I think that's fitting.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Who's a good comparable for Kaliyev? I want to say Alexei Kovalev, but Kovalev leaned more toward assists and Kaliyev is more of a goal guy. I think the comparison is fair though in terms of consistency of effort.

Edit: Prospect board uses Vanek. I think that's fitting.
I think Vanek was more of a speed, possession, ply driver. Is Kaliyev more in the Hoffman or Vrbata vein of opportunistic sniper? Or maybe Galchenyuk who’s a little more multifaceted but primarily just looks to use the shot.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think Vanek was more of a speed, possession, ply driver. Is Kaliyev more in the Hoffman or Vrbata vein of opportunistic sniper? Or maybe Galchenyuk who’s a little more multifaceted but primarily just looks to use the shot.
I see him as an opportunistic sniper, but he makes the opportunity by slipping into the right areas.

rt

May 13, 2004
Who do you guys think Chayka would like?
Tough to say. We just canned basically our entire amateur scouting staff. Chayka seems like like players with late birthdays. That’s about the only common thread we can find. Normally he goes for “premium” positions, meaning D or C.

However, our team didn’t have a single 20g scorer. Not one player on our team had 50pts. Clayton Keller led the team in scoring with 47pts and was a -21.

I could see him just going for absolute offensive upside. That’s what he should be doing. If he does that, Kaliyev is probably the pick.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's the best available. But it's down to "decent" prospects here. Not against trading up, down, or out.

Also, my tablet is possessed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad