Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft

Who should the Sabres draft #7

• Philip Broberg, D, AIK (Allesvenskan)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alex Newhook, C, Victoria (BCHL, BC Commit)

• Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton (WHL)

• Victor Soderstrom, D, Brynas IF (SHL)

• Ryan Suzuki, C, Barrie (OHL)

• Cam York, D, USNTP (BC Commit)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I agree with all of this. Which is why I went Krebs. I feel like he is the least risky pick where we sit and we really need to hit on this one.

I agree that Krebs seems the 'safe' pick but I'm at the other end of the spectrum as regards the Sabres current situation.

I'd go as far as wanting the boom/bust type pick in Caufield. It goes against everything I normally think... But the 'safe`Regier type of pick isn't what we need IMO.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Caufield... so I like his ability to finish. He has the high-end positioning, shooting, release that gets the sort of results we see from his stat line. He isn't just living off of Hughes' playmaking ability, it is a good synergy that a coach should be utilizing. I can't overlook his size as a risk factor. Pod is a risk to not come over right away and the Sabres history of f'ing up Russian player relations. Dach it's a motivation risk. Cozens it's a mind risk. There are some varying levels of risk there. But his ability to finish... damn!

Also, I'm tired of the trope that this is DeBrincat all over again. Alex had his own issues -- dig around a bit and there is some talk about him and coaches that also likely had a push on his value beyond his size. I'm so ****ing tired of the DeBrincat comps just due to stature.

That's what makes Krebs such an attractive option --- no risk. Kid is skilled, smart, and has an unimpeachable work ethic on the ice. If this is how the board falls, he's my pick.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
One of Pods/Boldy/Krebs

Claufield might get away with his size in regular season but in the playoffs he ll just get manhandled with less infractions called.
I would go save route cause we need this player to hit.
Don't mind with the 2nd pick if he s still around.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's what makes Krebs such an attractive option --- no risk. Kid is skilled, smart, and has an unimpeachable work ethic on the ice. If this is how the board falls, he's my pick.

I get the Krebs' love. I get the Caufield love. I'm game for just about everyone available there, there aren't really any players I'm looking at who I can't see positives from in that #7 spot. It's weighing who I like more and trying not to have attachment to who it winds up being. Zen and the art of draft acceptance... :biglaugh:

Just no Broberg. :biglaugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Podkolzin at #7 and Caufield with the Blues* pick. GMs are always scared of drafting tiny guys as he seems to be in the 20ish range on many online mock drafts.

Once upon a time, I had hopes of having a fun debate between Caufield and Newhook with the "next" first rounder (and then thoughts of Leason with the "last" first rounder... which is not theirs anymore). Those hopes have pretty much been dashed. I don't think either lasts to that selection.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Not excited about any of these picks. May as well throw a dart at the board. I was torn between Podolzkin and Boldy. Seems we have a choice of small guys with speed who look good playing with kids who have not come into their own yet or guys who are ok but not special. At least not yet.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If only we won one more game or Pittsburgh beat the Rangers in the last game of the year, we would be drafting Kakko.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It was a coin flip between Krebs and Caufield for me.

Boldy could be a safer pick.

Pod would be a real roll of the dice.

If this is the way it plays out, Botts will have some talent to pick from. Hopefully he picks the right guy.

Reactions: Franson

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I am leaning towards Broberg and Soderstrom...Picking out the two guys I least want that Botterill most likely would pick and coming to acceptance with them now.

RobRayzor

Drugs are bad,mmmmmkay
Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
You should've added "The pick will be traded away" option.
I know it sounds stupid,but hey,you never know.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I want one of Krebs, Caufield or Pods if this is what is on board when we pick. Doesn't matter which one...you could make an argument for any one of the 3.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It was a coin flip between Krebs and Caufield for me.

Boldy could be a safer pick.

Pod would be a real roll of the dice.

If this is the way it plays out, Botts will have some talent to pick from. Hopefully he picks the right guy.

I'm down with any of those four. Or any of the guys in the mock who go 3-6. All have interesting skillsets and all of them have a little something that is a hole in their game.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I voted Zegras but it was really a tossup between him, Boldy, Krebs, and Pods

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->