Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft

Who should the Wings draft #6

• Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTP (BC Commit)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cole Caufield, RW, USNTP (Wisco Commit)

• Spencer Knight, G, USNTP (BC Commit)

• Alex Newhook, C, Victoria (BCHL, BC Commit)

• Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton (WHL)

• Cam York, D, USNTP (BC Commit)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
You may be right, just haven't seen much NHL potential in him. Think he could be a bottom pair D, but doesn't seem like the type of defenseman the league is trending toward and not what I'd consider a high upside guy, in my non expert opinion.
Might not be high end guy but I’m sure he’d be better on the third pair than ericsson and has the size I’m not writing him off yet , think he can play in the league

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Off the top of my head, the most often expressed concerns are that he's a winger, that he's not elite at anything (but rather well-rounded) and his willingness to come to the NHL any time soon.
Well I’m not too bothered if we have to wait 2 years , we waited for lidstrom,fedorov,zetterberg,datsyuk And it turned out great, doesn’t bother me that he’s a winger we have a ton of kids coming I think Yzerman will ship some guys like AA Svechnikov for pieces soon enough,he’s turning 18 in June so he’s still really young so I’m not gonna write him off personally cause he doesn’t have 100 pts in the Quebec juniors

I just want the best player at 6 whoever that might be

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Welcome to 2019 where it has never been easier to watch draft-eligible players. I haven't watched everyone but have watched almost everyone mentioned as a potential first rounder.

For the record, if you have followed my other posts you would know that I am not a massive Dach supporter (though I do respect him). Hell, I don't even fault you for preferring Pods over him. I will, however, defend ANY player against inaccurate comparisons. Dach and Ras have nothing in common. I like Ras more than just about anyone else around here, but am the first to admit that these two are very different players with very different strengths/faults.

FWIW I too like both Beecher and Fagemo in the 2nd.

You can watch clips on YouTube but they don’t show junior hockey games online all the time , it’s playoffs now and they don’t show every game , probably only when it’s the memorial cup

Hey I personally think we messed up bigtime with ras over brannstrom,Foote valimaki since our biggest priority has been d for years that being said I do hope he turns out to be a top 6 guy who puts up 25-30 yearly I don’t want any of our picks to fail even though I might not agree with some

Least we agree with those 2 , I’m just looking forward to our picks from the second and our 3rd , basically 5 picks in the top 66 unless we add a another or two , so really should be exciting for us

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
If turcotte and byram are gone I want a playmaker, so Dach or zegras. I’m cool with pretty much all the top ranked guys.

Reactions: RabidBadger

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You don't think he's slightly slow? Or not not super big?

I think the fact that you chose those two things to describe him is looking through shit colored glasses. I think he isn’t fast, but I don’t believe him to be slow. I think he’s an average skater. And what does size have to do with anything? He’s 6 foot, 195. That’s not exactly small.

His physical build wasn’t what made him a good pick in the top 10.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think the fact that you chose those two things to describe him is looking through **** colored glasses. I think he isn’t fast, but I don’t believe him to be slow. I think he’s an average skater. And what does size have to do with anything? He’s 6 foot, 195. That’s not exactly small.

His physical build wasn’t what made him a good pick in the top 10.
I listed those things because we were talking about boom/bust picks, and those are the two factors that I think make Zadina a boom/bust pick. His skill has never been in doubt, but his athleticism has a question mark since his draft year.

The size thing was to point out that he doesn't have size and reach to make up for a lack of speed.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I listed those things because we were talking about boom/bust picks, and those are the two factors that I think make Zadina a boom/bust pick. His skill has never been in doubt, but his athleticism has a question mark since his draft year.

The size thing was to point out that he doesn't have size and reach to make up for a lack of speed.

I don’t think he’s boom or bust at all. He’s already shown he can produce against men in the AHL as an 18 year old. He showed glimpses of what he’s capable of in a 9 game stretch. Is he going to be a burner? No. But that’s not what his game is based on.

rbartnik

Mar 9, 2019
Zadina wasn't the safe pick, though. Taking the slightly slow, not super big scoring winger was kind of a gamble.

Less of a gamble than taking Quinn Hughes. Given this draft is so top-heavy in forwards, I kind of regret that we didn't go that route.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Taking Rasmussen over brannstrom was the major **** up

It wasn't an F up, Brannstrom slid almost 10 more spots, there was obviously a reason. Also, Brannstrom as of right now, as done nothing at the NHL level, so we don't know for sure he will be better.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Less of a gamble than taking Quinn Hughes. Given this draft is so top-heavy in forwards, I kind of regret that we didn't go that route.

It’s been reported several times that the Wings were taking Bouchard if Zadina didn’t fall into their laps. They were never going to take Hughes.

Reactions: mantha39

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I hope so and we do know the Wings like Dach so that could help. But they have pretty consistently listed Podkolzin third when talking. You never know what they are hiding that way. I am higher on Podkolzin than I was Zadina so I wouldn't go nuts if they do pick him. Not what I am hoping for but sound from what I have heard in the scouting community
How do we "know" the Wings like Dach? Was there a report about this?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Dach, Draper appears to be a pretty massive fan of him.

I am too, I've liked him over Cozens all year. I'd be thrilled with him, although I'll be happy with pretty much any pick we make unless we go way off the general draft board and reach for someone. You can't really lose when picking this high in the draft, they're all great players.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still no Podkolzin...

1. NJD - Hughes, C
2. NYR - Kakko, RW
3. CHI - Byram, LD
4. COL - Cozens, C/RW
5. LAK - Turcotte, C
6. DET - Dach, C
7. BUF - Krebs, C
8. EDM - Zegras, C/LW
9. ANA - Boldy, LW
10. VAN

I trust this poll probably more than any ranking list. There are homer votes but also lot of smart people watching the big picture right way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad