Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft

Who should the Wings draft #6

• Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTP (BC Commit)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cole Caufield, RW, USNTP (Wisco Commit)

• Spencer Knight, G, USNTP (BC Commit)

• Alex Newhook, C, Victoria (BCHL, BC Commit)

• Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton (WHL)

• Cam York, D, USNTP (BC Commit)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Do we really think Chicago would take another Dman after they took two Defensemen (Boqvist and Beaudin) in the first round last year?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Do we really think Chicago would take another Dman after they took two Defensemen (Boqvist and Beaudin) in the first round last year?

Take this for what it’s worth, but I believe their board is very heavy on Byram, Cozens, and Turcotte. Rationalize it however you want, but odds are they are taking someone of that three.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Take this for what it’s worth, but I believe their board is very heavy on Byram, Cozens, and Turcotte. Rationalize it however you want, but odds are they are taking someone of that three.

Disagree.

All 5 of those players will be gone by 6, IMO.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
To be blunt, I don't care what their board thinks at all. I care if the Blackhawks brass are fine with Evan Barrett being the only tangible forward from 2 drafts. Jake Wise could bounce back from injury and be a solid prospect, and their other 3rd rounder last year - Nik Nordgren - started great but has had some injury issues. Last year he was out 3 separate times, one being a concussion and another might force him to start 19-20 on the sideline.
They'll have to weigh how much they think Strome and Perlini are going to fill that void in the near future. Maybe they have a kid that pans out that I didn't mention, I don't know, but the way I see it, they could use a forward prospect.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Disagree.

All 5 of those players will be gone by 6, IMO.

To be blunt, I don't care what their board thinks at all. I care if the Blackhawks brass are fine with Evan Barrett being the only tangible forward from 2 drafts. Jake Wise could bounce back from injury and be a solid prospect, and their other 3rd rounder last year - Nik Nordgren - started great but has had some injury issues. Last year he was out 3 separate times, one being a concussion and another might force him to start 19-20 on the sideline.
They'll have to weigh how much they think Strome and Perlini are going to fill that void in the near future. Maybe they have a kid that pans out that I didn't mention, I don't know, but the way I see it, they could use a forward prospect.

I don’t know if my message was missing context, but let clarify what I’m getting at. I was talking about the Blackhawks discussion board being high on those three.

The way Sparty’s message read to me, it was like he was trying to find an exception where the Blackhawks wouldn’t take Byram and end up with a forward by result. Almost trying to walk into a situation where Byram, or one of Turcotte or Cozens might fall. I was just pointing to the fact that even if Chicago isn’t picking a defenseman, they are taking one of the other two that went 4-5 in this little experiment.

I still strongly believe picks 3-5 will be some form of Cozens, Turcotte, Byram, so I think this is a fantastic practice for us to go through to figure out what we have in Dach, Podkolzin, Krebs, Zegras, and I will throw in a wild card in Broberg.

In a nutshell: if this represents worst case scenario for anyone, buckle up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
8 out of 10 NHL scouts have Podkolzin (per McKenzie) as the #3 player and we are trusting a 100% fan poll to determine how the top 5 will play out? Honestly I’d put little to no stock into this as any kind of indicator of how things will go.

I’ll go with the scouts.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For reference, Mckenzie’s #3 player has gone in the top 5 of their draft the last 6 years in a row.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I think he’s got a shot to play in the league , I think he’ll be the go to guy for London next season on the back end

You may be right, just haven't seen much NHL potential in him. Think he could be a bottom pair D, but doesn't seem like the type of defenseman the league is trending toward and not what I'd consider a high upside guy, in my non expert opinion.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don’t know if my message was missing context, but let clarify what I’m getting at. I was talking about the Blackhawks discussion board being high on those three.

The way Sparty’s message read to me, it was like he was trying to find an exception where the Blackhawks wouldn’t take Byram and end up with a forward by result. Almost trying to walk into a situation where Byram, or one of Turcotte or Cozens might fall. I was just pointing to the fact that even if Chicago isn’t picking a defenseman, they are taking one of the other two that went 4-5 in this little experiment.

I still strongly believe picks 3-5 will be some form of Cozens, Turcotte, Byram, so I think this is a fantastic practice for us to go through to figure out what we have in Dach, Podkolzin, Krebs, Zegras, and I will throw in a wild card in Broberg.

In a nutshell: if this represents worst case scenario for anyone, buckle up.
I meant to quote Sparty too, I was addressing the conversation as a whole not trying to single you out. I've seen a lot of Hawks fans beating the Byram drum, but I don't really post in other team's forums much so I didn't really have an outlet to express what I was saying until here.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
You may be right, just haven't seen much NHL potential in him. Think he could be a bottom pair D, but doesn't seem like the type of defenseman the league is trending toward and not what I'd consider a high upside guy, in my non expert opinion.
6’4 smooth skating d man with good passing. He’s a pretty good prospect

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
6’4 smooth skating d man with good passing. He’s a pretty good prospect
He's also an August 2000 birthday, still 18. I think it's a great pick. Has aged well. Biggest negative - Tyler Madden went next.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Might be wishful thinking here...

But if there are no concerns about him coming over, you would think he goes top 5.
If there are concerns about him coming over, you would think he falls farther than 6.

Might not be that black and white, just thinking out loud.

I hope so and we do know the Wings like Dach so that could help. But they have pretty consistently listed Podkolzin third when talking. You never know what they are hiding that way. I am higher on Podkolzin than I was Zadina so I wouldn't go nuts if they do pick him. Not what I am hoping for but sound from what I have heard in the scouting community

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
How unrealistic is the idea of trading our 6th for the Ducks' 10th and 20th? We do have the ability to sweeten the deal with one of our extra 2nd-round or 5th-round picks if need be, but I tend to think the Ducks wouldn't go for it.

They can grab a defender they like at 10th, Broberg, York, or Soderstrom, then at 20th reasonably hope Knight is still available. That's a much better situation than just having 6th pick, I think.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I know this has been mentioned before but what their board believes means absolutely f*** all. How many sens fans were hoping for Tkachuk last year? What their board thinks means absolutely nothing.

For reference, Mckenzie’s #3 player has gone in the top 5 of their draft the last 6 years in a row.

And realistically, Mackenzie has said that Podkolzin has kinda separated himself into his own tier as the third best player. Its not like his list was very contested or that he had a tonne of competition for that third spot. There doesnt seem like he has a tonne of competition. I could see him falling I guess based on the Russian factor but I dont think thats much of a big deal anymore. Odds are hes gone before Detroits pick

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Add Nichushkin to your list of leeriness.

I don't remember Nuke being as hyped, but sure as hell, every single expert ranking had him from
#3-6. He's ahead of Barkov on a few of these lists. Woof. For those that don't remember, he fell to #10. Then fell out of the NHL.

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
8 out of 10 NHL scouts have Podkolzin (per McKenzie) as the #3 player and we are trusting a 100% fan poll to determine how the top 5 will play out? Honestly I’d put little to no stock into this as any kind of indicator of how things will go.

I’ll go with the scouts.

Well, yeah. This is a popularity contest. People get hyped on a name they believe could fall to them and lock in on it.

BTW I'm in full T. J. Hockenson hype mode over in NFL land. Or Oliver. One week, HYPE!

Then I'll get more hyped about hockey again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->