Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft Pick #7

Who will the Devils pick #7

• Rodion Amirov, LW, Toros Neftekamsk (MHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yaroslav Askarov, G, SKA-Neva St. Petersburg (VHL)

• Mavrik Bourque, C, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)

• Helge Grans, D, Malmö Redhawks (SHL)

• Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)

• Dylan Holloway, C/LW, Univ. of Wisconsin (NCAA)

• Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)

• Anton Lundell, C, HIFK (Liiga)

• Dawson Mercer, RW, Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)

• Connor Zary, C, Kamloops Blazers (WHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
compare the state of each team as well, especially their DMen
EXACTLY

I don't get the lack of love for MacBlack around the league/in the media. I see a true #1 because, you know, I've watched a lot of the NJ Devils unlike a lot of people in the media. I'm 1000% comfortable with MBW as our #1. The issue is our #2. I'm not drafting Askarov to be a #2 nor am I willing to push MBW to a timeshare role.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
the way my sick mind works, I hope one of the D is taken and one is available at #7...that way its a no brainer

if we have the choice between the 2, you KNOW our fanbase will be following the guy we don't pick's every single move and saying we took the wrong one
Thats cause our fan base (fan bases in general) is so pessimistic and negative. :D

Nah, but seriously though. I think Drysdale will be gone before 7 but Sanderson would be bit of a reach, but could see some teams going for him.

Good chance theres few teams that are looking at picking up either one of the D is available.

You'd think Ottawa goes 2 forwards but then again you take Drysdale here you can probably expose any of your D prospects, right?

You'd think one of the two has to be available, but draft can be crazy. Theres always some that fall.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think MBW is the real deal and looks to be on a good path to be a quality goalie with the possibility of being elite.

An outsider who doesn’t see him as often is probably still going to wonder what went on in 2017-2018 and that MBW had 1 good season in juniors and 2 “ok” seasons. They’re going to worry this is an inconsistent goalie who has put together a good 70 games.

So I get an outsider questioning MBW more than they would Hart. We saw MBW a lot more than almost anyone so we are going to be more comfortable with MBW than most others.

Reactions: My3Sons

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I think MBW is the real deal and looks to be on a good path to be a quality goalie with the possibility of being elite.

An outsider who doesn’t see him as often is probably still going to wonder what went on in 2017-2018 and that MBW had 1 good season in juniors and 2 “ok” seasons. They’re going to worry this is an inconsistent goalie who has put together a good 70 games.

So I get an outsider questioning MBW more than they would Hart. We saw MBW a lot more than almost anyone so we are going to be more comfortable with MBW than most others.
That's my thing though. MacBlack isn't getting lucky behind a good defense in the NHL. He's standing on his head to put up that .918 sv% because his defense is atrocious. Carter Hart has faced 1900 shots in 74 games in his career. MacBlack has faced 1942 in 70 games, so they've both faced similar SA.

I don't care about juniors either. MBW was in the OHL while Hart was in the WHL. Hard to compare goalie stats across the leagues due to the discrepancies in how the game is played.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
EXACTLY

I don't get the lack of love for MacBlack around the league/in the media. I see a true #1 because, you know, I've watched a lot of the NJ Devils unlike a lot of people in the media. I'm 1000% comfortable with MBW as our #1. The issue is our #2. I'm not drafting Askarov to be a #2 nor am I willing to push MBW to a timeshare role.

The problem is that MBW is 5 years older. A lot can happen in 5 years, when Askarov is 23. When we were drafting MBW, Schneider was top5 goalie in the league easily (I'd argue top 3). Still, I think #7 is a bit too early to pick Askarov because at least one of Rossi/Perfetti/Raymond/Drysdale/Sanderson has to be there.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The problem is that MBW is 5 years older. A lot can happen in 5 years, when Askarov is 23. When we were drafting MBW, Schneider was top5 goalie in the league easily (I'd argue top 3). Still, I think #7 is a bit too early to pick Askarov because at least one of Rossi/Perfetti/Raymond/Drysdale/Sanderson has to be there.

the way goalies are, there is a way better chance that some late round goalie will be better than Askarov

goalies are too volatile to waste top 10 picks on

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
the way goalies are, there is a way better chance that some late round goalie will be better than Askarov

I think some folks posted about that in the past weeks. While there is certainly variation, my recollection is that a number of NHL goalies were among the first few picked in their respective draft years. Both Hart and MBW were selected in the second round for example. With a much smaller sample size to evaluate, it's hard to know what is statistically significant. The third highest rated forward in a draft may be pick 3. The third highest rated goalie in a draft may be pick 75. And of course there are only about 62 goalies right now (maybe less after a few age out and a few backup spots are up in the air). I wouldn't pick Askarov at 7 but if the team scouts are convinced he's the real deal and will be better than Hart and MBW it would certainly be a discussion I'd expect them to have for picks 18 and 20 depending upon who else might be there.

Reactions: Guadana

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If I'm going to spend a 1st rounder on a goalie, I'd much rather it be next year for Walstedt.

I don't think the cards fall right for us to grab Askarov this year. 7 is too high and 18-20 is too low. If he's hanging around at 20, though, I think I'd have to take him.

Also, as much as I like MBW, I'm not quite willing to gamble the entire future on him quite yet. We were pretty confident with the Schneider/MBW combo going into last year. I'd rather hedge my bets and find a goalie of the future so if MBW DOES fall on his face we only need stopgaps for a few years. Doesn't need to be a first rounder... We just need to keep using mid round picks and hope one sticks to the wall.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I don't see any realistic scenario where both Drysdale and Sanderson are available at 7. I think Ottawa snags one of them with their 2nd pick.

But if it does play out like this I'll gladly take Drysdale as hed be the BPA here with Rossi gone at 6

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

that's true to an extent (depends on the quality of a prospect IMO) but I was just making point that if we used same standards against Askarov (MBW is our starter) five years ago (Schneider was our starter), we wouldn't have drafted Blackwood. Of course, Blackwood is much younger but goalies are, as you said, volatile.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
that's true to an extent (depends on the quality of a prospect IMO) but I was just making point that if we used same standards against Askarov (MBW is our starter) five years ago (Schneider was our starter), we wouldn't have drafted Blackwood. Of course, Blackwood is much younger but goalies are, as you said, volatile.

But MBW wasn’t drafted at 7 or 18, he was drafted at 42. That’s a significant difference in draft value.

I’d be more cool with the Devils drafting a goalie they felt was great in the 2nd round this, or next, year rather than using an early or mid first round pick.

Edit: For example, Samsonov at 22 looks like a good goalie but who looks like a better draft value, Samsonov or MBW? I’d say MBW.

There were a bunch more good players drafted after Samsonov than after MBW.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
But MBW wasn’t drafted at 7 or 18, he was drafted at 42. That’s a significant difference in draft value.

I’d be more cool with the Devils drafting a goalie they felt was great in the 2nd round this, or next, year rather than using an early or mid first round pick.

Edit: For example, Samsonov at 22 looks like a good goalie but who looks like a better draft value, Samsonov or MBW? I’d say MBW.

There were a bunch more good players drafted after Samsonov than after MBW.

Sure, the pick was more valuable (however we traded down from #36 and it was very deep draft) but I'm not talking about the commitment of draft capital to the goalie. I'm saying that using current goalie situation on your team to evaluate whether it's good to pick goalie is pointless because a lot can happen between draft and given goalie being NHL ready (vide Blackwood/Schneider scenario).

BTW. If Askarov was available at #18 you literally have to pick him there. He won't be though.

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
Last season, Knight was hyped as the best goalie prospect since Price. As draft day got closer, HF decided Knight was inferior to the next draft’s shiny object in Askarov. I imagine Askarov hype is going to die down some more as HF piles onto the Wallstedt wagon in 2021.

I think some hype of Askarov is justified, especially after watching him dominate Jack and the rest of the USNTDP squad two seasons ago. On the off chance he falls to #18, I wouldn’t take him over guys like Jarvis or Perrault though, who also have massive ceilings.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Sure, the pick was more valuable (however we traded down from #36 and it was very deep draft) but I'm not talking about the commitment of draft capital to the goalie. I'm saying that using current goalie situation on your team to evaluate whether it's good to pick goalie is pointless because a lot can happen between draft and given goalie being NHL ready (vide Blackwood/Schneider scenario).

BTW. If Askarov was available at #18 you literally have to pick him there. He won't be though.

Goalie is probably the one position where you should consider your whole pipeline positionally when you decide to use high draft capital on a goalie.

If I have a 3 great centers or defenseman, I can find places for them, if I have 2 great goalies then I’m probably under using one of them.

The Devils pipeline doesn’t look great but I think they look ok for the starter role right now so I would look askance at using a high pick on a goalie rather than using a later pick on a goalie.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I’m all in on Drysdale than Sanderson. However, if it doesn’t happen I’m really good getting Rossi or Holtz. In addition, I believe who we take with the other two picks will be just as important in shaping this team. We need to hit on all three. Not saying superstars, but solid future contributors, top 6 type guys or a top 2/3 defenseman if we don’t take one of the top two.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m all in on Drysdale than Sanderson. However, if it doesn’t happen I’m really good getting Rossi or Holtz. In addition, I believe who we take with the other two picks will be just as important in shaping this team. We need to hit on all three. Not saying superstars, but solid future contributors, top 6 type guys or a top 2/3 defenseman if we don’t take one of the top two.
I mean there aren’t that many top 6 forwards or true 2/3 defensemen found in 18-30 range of drafts, often it’s 2 or 3. I’d open that up to middle six and top 4 and even then you just have to accept that duds or depth guys happen in that range because you’re picking through the more flawed high end guys. It’s unlikely we hit on all three and that’s why you get multiple 1sts and picks, so you get some hits and pawn off the misfires in trades.

I’m definitely hoping they all three end up being wonderful, it can happen and I actually have quite a bit of faith in this scouting staff (I ended up with a lot less faith in Shero’s drafting philosophy/approach and obviously who knows about Fitz). It’s impossible to predict these kids futures so I find it helps to be a little more zen about it though.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I mean there aren’t that many top 6 forwards or true 2/3 defensemen found in 18-30 range of drafts, often it’s 2 or 3. I’d open that up to middle six and top 4 and even then you just have to accept that duds or depth guys happen in that range because you’re picking through the more flawed high end guys. It’s unlikely we hit on all three and that’s why you get multiple 1sts and picks, so you get some hits and pawn off the misfires in trades.

I’m definitely hoping they all three end up being wonderful, it can happen and I actually have quite a bit of faith in this scouting staff (I ended up with a lot less faith in Shero’s drafting philosophy/approach and obviously who knows about Fitz). It’s impossible to predict these kids futures so I find it helps to be a little more zen about it though.

To be fair it’s the same scouting director for Shero and Fitz so we will have to see how Fitz changes things.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad