Post-Game Talk: Team Ain't Even Good Enough for a PGT

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wings are making a LOT of unforced turnover, inside OUR ZONE. and it's not just Smith and Kindl, even Kronner makes it. some of it is due to having not enough support near by and our D has no where but to get rid of the puck along the board and hope for the best. Teams are catching on to it, and those passes were completely and totally shut down last game. So much so some of them were tape to tape passes from our D backhand to Senator players. and this is just ONE problem out of many we have right now in our zone. I have already mentioned how players need to take the body right away and make it harder for Senators.

I dont rewatch games so maybe I'm wrong in assessing problem or maybe I dont know what the hell im talking about but Wings were completely owned in their own zone last night, and that is undeniable fact. Just repeating useless cliches like 'we need to play better, give 100%' wont make them play better in their own zone. There needs to be a change either in system or how they should be executing. I thought having bit more composure would help but Im starting to think this problem may go deeper than that.

oh and there's breakout pass problem. well I'm not even going to touch this because it was worse than what was acceptable at AHL level. It was refreshing to see our D skate out though. Guess what when they had a chance and did it, it actually led to successive breakout instead of misfiring pass into turnovers in neutral zone.
Other teams don't have to respect our d-men's ability to play the puck at all. That makes it a lot easier for them to be aggressive in their forecheck. They don't have to be afraid of any physical play either. That also means they can be more aggressive in their play.

We desperately lack anyone on D that can:

A. Skate the puck out of trouble
B. Punish opposing players physically
C. Move the puck really well

Green addressed C a bit when he's healthy. Quincey has actually been perhaps our most physical d-man the last year or two, so point B suffers without him. But there's not enough. Ericsson, Kindl, Smith and Marchenko can't really do A, B or C. That's 4 out of 6 d-men that have no tangible strengths to their game.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Other teams don't have to respect our d-men's ability to play the puck at all. That makes it a lot easier for them to be aggressive in their forecheck. They don't have to be afraid of any physical play either. That also means they can be more aggressive in their play.

Green addressed C a bit when he's healthy. Quincey has actually been perhaps our most physical d-man the last year or two, so point B suffers without him. But there's not enough. Ericsson, Kindl, Smith and Marchenko can't really do A, B or C. That's 4 out of 6 d-men that have no tangible strengths to their game.

I agree with your points but the thing is Q and Green are not coming back anytime soon and even if they do, they need some tweaks.

I completely agree with your points that opponnets just not afraid of any physical play from us. Wings are just making too easy night against the other team. We are playing like sissies... and that goes towards our forecheckers as well. I dont remember who it was but a Wings player kinda did half hearted forecheck last night and senators players were very casually taking the hit and made a perfect breakout pass. It was beyond pathetic. If a senators player came anywhere near our D, they would be busy dumping the puck to whereever possible. I mean, yeah you need to pass before forechecker get to you but sometimes, you have to take a hit to make a play. Is our D too small or afraid? I dont know but it seems like both and those passes aren't really connecting so somethings gotta change.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Been saying this forever. Babcock masked how bad they actually were/are. Now we are seeing what happens when you have them play something other than dumbed down hockey and it's bad, like way worse than I ever thought it would be.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thought Blashill deserved the benefit of the doubt and also some patience, but I'm a bit concerned at this point.

We need to either simplify what we ask our d men to do, or get more talent on the back end pronto. But that situation is just a hot mess.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I agree with your points but the thing is Q and Green are not coming back anytime soon and even if they do, they need some tweaks.

I completely agree with your points that opponnets just not afraid of any physical play from us. Wings are just making too easy night against the other team. We are playing like sissies... and that goes towards our forecheckers as well. I dont remember who it was but a Wings player kinda did half hearted forecheck last night and senators players were very casually taking the hit and made a perfect breakout pass. It was beyond pathetic. If a senators player came anywhere near our D, they would be busy dumping the puck to whereever possible. I mean, yeah you need to pass before forechecker get to you but sometimes, you have to take a hit to make a play. Is our D too small or afraid? I dont know but it seems like both and those passes aren't really connecting so somethings gotta change.

As far as I can tell, the only one scared of contact is Kindl. Don't think size is an issue either. Just think it comes down to not having an overly physical blue line. They just don't make the opposing team pay on the forecheck. That said, they didn't last season either, and didn't put up nearly as bad numbers as they are now. I think it comes down to being able to exit the zone quickly and cleanly, which comes back to preparation and coaching.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
As far as I can tell, the only one scared of contact is Kindl. Don't think size is an issue either. Just think it comes down to not having an overly physical blue line. They just don't make the opposing team pay on the forecheck. That said, they didn't last season either, and didn't put up nearly as bad numbers as they are now. I think it comes down to being able to exit the zone quickly and cleanly, which comes back to preparation and coaching.

yes Wings were not a physical team D last season (until they got to playoff) or the season prior but the thing is they kinda have to be if Wings dont want to change system and want to have any kind of success in our zone. I think big reason why we lost composure in our zone is suddenly D are left on their own and asked to execute quicker than they should be. (i talked about potential danger of this during preseason) There's two ways to doing this.

1) players change their style of play and start playing more physical
2) we change our system and have F come down lower to help. -> essentially kind what we did last couple seasons.

If you were Blashill, do you play the hand that was given to you or demand our players to play different styles than they were used to? What am worried though is that, our D is kinda soft and if they suddenly play physical, we may suffer alot more injuries through out the season. It is my speculation but other teams are already coming at us harder than they normally would playing against other teams because all of sudden they believe they are the bully and can do whatever they want with Wings. I have had a feeling since we switched conference that teams in east think they can just neutralize Wings through physical play alone. Can our D survive the execution style change while the other teams are already looking to punish us? or do we even have a choice?

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Been saying this forever. Babcock masked how bad they actually were/are. Now we are seeing what happens when you have them play something other than dumbed down hockey and it's bad, like way worse than I ever thought it would be.

I think that's pretty clearly the case. Babcock should have won coach of the year for 2013-14. That team didn't have Z or Datsyuk for larger stretches of the season. To make the playoffs that year took an unbelievable coaching job.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Thought Blashill deserved the benefit of the doubt and also some patience, but I'm a bit concerned at this point.

We need to either simplify what we ask our d men to do, or get more talent on the back end pronto. But that situation is just a hot mess.

He did. Problem is, the Wings have looked like such a mess that you're pretty much forced to start questioning what going on it terms of coaching.

Too bad there are no generational talents in the upcoming draft.. and the best D probably isn't a WoW-amazing talent (Chychruck SPELLING?)

Isn't that Matthews guy supposed to be as good as Eichel or something?Not that it matters. While the Wings are bad, they're not nearly bad enough to be a lottery team. Then again, they've defied my expectations in terms of how bad they could be up until this point.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
yes Wings were not a physical team D last season (until they got to playoff) or the season prior but the thing is they kinda have to be if Wings dont want to change system and want to have any kind of success in our zone. I think big reason why we lost composure in our zone is suddenly D are left on their own and asked to execute quicker than they should be. (i talked about potential danger of this during preseason) There's two ways to doing this.

1) players change their style of play and start playing more physical
2) we change our system and have F come down lower to help. -> essentially kind what we did last couple seasons.

If you were Blashill, do you play the hand that was given to you or demand our players to play different styles than they were used to? What am worried though is that, our D is kinda soft and if they suddenly play physical, we may suffer alot more injuries through out the season. It is my speculation but other teams are already coming at us harder than they normally would playing against other teams because all of sudden they believe they are the bully and can do whatever they want with Wings. I have had a feeling since we switched conference that teams in east think they can just neutralize Wings through physical play alone. Can our D survive the execution style change while the other teams are already looking to punish us? or do we even have a choice?

I don't see any other option other than that.

Somethings gotta change here anyways. Asking D to play in a way that's completely foreign to them or that their incapable of seems like the far more difficult route to take.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I don't see any other option other than that.

Somethings gotta change here anyways. Asking D to play in a way that's completely foreign to them or that their incapable of seems like the far more difficult route to take.

maybe you are right maybe you are wrong. I dont know the answer.

my personal opinion is that, I'd like to see little bit of both.

aFish

blub blub blub
Jun 23, 2014
Ontario
I've been a Blashill supporter from the start. I figured it'd take time to adjust to his system, and clearly it has.

I'm starting to feel, however, that perhaps Blash's system just won't cut it in the NHL. This team is no less talented than years past, in fact, one could argue that this is the most talented team we've iced since Lids retired.

I realize we have some pretty good players injured right now, and they'll likely make this team much better when they return. But as of right now, this team is just no fun to watch. The games are boring. Is that Blash's fault? I'm starting to think it might be.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Seems that way, and doesn't help when Green is injured. Marchenko looks alright and that makes me wonder if XO would also look good in this system. I'm sick of Kindl and Smith.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Why does everyone throw the defense under the bus after these games? I'd address the offense before looking to the D. How many puck battles were lost? Where's the support? Use your teammates. Go to the net. I mean, no shots on the first 5 on 3?

Yeah, but let's talk about the defense.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
either blash figures it out and we'll go on a run. or he doesn't and we get to draft elite talent at the top of the draft (and won't make another stupid deadline trade deal).

i'm fine with either.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
either blash figures it out and we'll go on a run. or he doesn't and we get to draft elite talent at the top of the draft (and won't make another stupid deadline trade deal).

i'm fine with either.

I'd like either extreme, yes. I me we end up as a middle of the pack team it will have been a complete waste of a season.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'd like either extreme, yes. I me we end up as a middle of the pack team it will have been a complete waste of a season.

well, yes, that is the worst. make a run now, be in good position at the trade deadline, make a stupid trade and then just barely miss the playoffs.

there's some good talent in this draft all the way until around 8-10 imo. so better suck hard if you suck.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For how much love Dekeyser gets, he's been pretty lousy so far. Not sure if he pushed to come back too soon or what. We need him to be an anchor for a pairing and he has not been able to so far this year.

Stat line of 6 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, -3.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
well, yes, that is the worst. make a run now, be in good position at the trade deadline, make a stupid trade and then just barely miss the playoffs.

there's some good talent in this draft all the way until around 8-10 imo. so better suck hard if you suck.

If we are even close at the deadline you can bet on a stupid deadline deal happening. We would have to be really far out of it for Holland to do nothing, IMO. He won't see that playoff streak end without a fight.

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
For how much love Dekeyser gets, he's been pretty lousy so far. Not sure if he pushed to come back too soon or what. We need him to be an anchor for a pairing and he has not been able to so far this year.

Stat line of 6 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, -3.

Yeah, he has not been as good as I was hoping. Again, no one really looks good at this point... and having Marchenko up probably isn't putting him on the fast track of getting comfortable back there. He still has some brilliant plays in his zone (I don't think anyone in the league is better at defending a 2-on-1) but a lot of gaffes once the puck is on his stick.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

i'm fine with either.

This is how I feel. Ideally, i'd love to make the playoffs and win a round or two. But the alternative of missing the playoffs and having a top 10 pick for the first time in 20+ years sounds pretty fun too.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, he has not been as good as I was hoping. Again, no one really looks good at this point... and having Marchenko up probably isn't putting him on the fast track of getting comfortable back there. He still has some brilliant plays in his zone (I don't think anyone in the league is better at defending a 2-on-1) but a lot of gaffes once the puck is on his stick.

I'm not too worried about him, as long as he isn't playing injured and didn't let himself heal right. I just want him to pick it up because we need a stabilizing force on the back end desperately, and he is that when he is on his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad