Beginners: Teaching friends how to skate

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I am going skating with 3 friends tomorrow, and this will be their second time for all of them (1st was about a week ago) and am wondering how to teach them how to skate. I am not really sure what kind of advice to give them, as only one of them didn't have trouble (he only had trouble stopping and backwards), the other 2 had trouble moving in general. What are some good tips to give them

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Details

I am going skating with 3 friends tomorrow, and this will be their second time for all of them (1st was about a week ago) and am wondering how to teach them how to skate. I am not really sure what kind of advice to give them, as only one of them didn't have trouble (he only had trouble stopping and backwards), the other 2 had trouble moving in general. What are some good tips to give them

How old are they and how athletic are they? Also are they using rental skates?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
When beginning, I think repetition of the basics is pretty important. Learning how to do crossovers does wonders for starting to learn balance and edge control. If you're just doing a public skate then make sure they're crossing over every time on the corners, and try to convince them to do a few back and forth in the lanes in between ends! An hour of that and they'll feel a lot more comfortable on their skates already, I bet!

But on top of that, it's a long, arduous process of learning to skate from scratch. Fun though.

rhyobit

Nov 20, 2013
Hampshire
I always try and repeat some of the instructions and tips I had from my speed skating coach.

Lemons, edge control drills, emphasis on knee bend, shaving the ice at the boards and then stopping.

Once your friends have those down moving on to more advanced bits like crossovers, pivots etc will come more easily.

I always like to tell friends and family who are new to skating that falling is a natural process of learning to skate, and how to fall so they're less likely to injure themselves.

I always think if you don't fall you're not trying hard enough, but push yourself/themselves as much as you/they are comfortable with.

northernhockey

Dec 29, 2013
newskate

Hey bud, I started skating myself about a month and a half ago. Today after 5 days a weeks practicing i can do forwards crossovers, have a pretty decent forward stride/glide/accelerate combo and just got the hockey stop down. But i still remember learning in the beginning. As much as i agree with Joe on crossovers helping with balance I'd recommend for beginners just teaching them to bend their knees (It's quite hard if you've never skated, seems unnatural) and teach them to push with one foot and hold the glide, once they can do it with one foot then move to the next and join them together. Give it a shot and tell them to accept the fact they will fall :).

Cheers.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
1. Bend yo knees! It feels unnatural but skating while trying to stand straight up is almost impossible and once you know how to skate is totally unnatural.

2. Falling is part of the process. HOWEVER, you can build skills up gradually which means you will probably fall less and may develop better technique OR just do it all in 1 go where you will fall a ton but may progress quicker. I'm sure there is a middle ground I just never found it (but I am also a crap skater).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Skating

Probably below average to average athleticism.

They bought their own new skates, but they are like $50 cheep pairs

Okay. Sounds like public skating sessions so there are basic rules with regimentation to follow.

Seems like the intro stages have been covered. A few practical considerations.

Basics. Even inexpensive skates have to be cared for. Explain that they should check the blades before and after for damage,sharpening if necessary, use skate guards to walk to the rink from the room, proper safety gear as required(helmet a must), comfortable, light off ice warm-up - stretching, movement, flexibility.

Overlooked when teaching first time skaters is the actual stepping on the ice. Some rush, lose their balance and take a nasty fall. Nice comfortable, controlled entry on their power leg. Warm-up skating at their comfort level until they relax the rigidity and uncertainty of getting back on the ice. As they get comfortable their arm and body movements will become more fluid. Have them repeat their strengths while working on their weaknesses. If stopping is weak, don't just work on stopping. Do it in the context of overall skating.

Fatigue. Even if the new skaters are in shape, fatigue is a factor since they are not used to using their muscles to skate. Tired skaters tend to reduce arm movement, become less fluid. Risk of falling and injury increases.

Repeat the basic movements to both sides, LHS, RHS. Clockwise, counter-clockwise as permitted at the rink.

Good luck.

g04tm4n

Jan 3, 2014
I taught a few friends how to skate, but only basic skating, crossovers, stopping, things for recreational skaters. The first thing I actually taught them was how to fall, and I told them to fall. When we started off I made myself fall a few times to get them more relaxed, as the fear of falling really had them paranoid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad