Teaching a kid how to skate

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
How do you teach a kid to skate?

There's a local team kid's dad who's willing to pay $50/hour to teach his kid how to skate. It would be once or twice a week, during the public skating session. I'm interested, it's good cash but how the hell do you teach skating? Could I make him do exercises, circles, stops?

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006

There's a local team kid's dad who's willing to pay $50/hour to teach his kid how to skate. It would be once or twice a week, during the public skating session. I'm interested, it's good cash but how the hell do you teach skating? Could I make him do exercises, circles, stops?

In all fairness to the others involved, if you have to ask, do you really think you are doing anyone any justice?

ahabian

Dec 21, 2009
Are you patient enough to be a teacher?
How old is the kid?

If you yourself were taught and progressed quickly at a young age, do the same sort of things you did, since that is your reference point.

I figure you just lay down the ground-rules at first. Bent knees, back straight, head up, using the edges and so on.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Well i just have my three year old daughter going to a learn to skate class. There are @ 7 (1/2hr) sessions for @ $100 total.

The first thing they taught them is how to stand and fall.
1. Roll over like a puppy
2. Stand up on Knees.
blah
blah.

Then they have them just do marching or games lie red light green light.

I took her to about ten public skatings before going just to get her used to the ice.

Most rinks have learn to skates that range from never skated to figure skating tricks. May want to look into that before going private lessons route. Plus then the kid is with other kids in the same boat making it less stressful i think.

AvDog

My daughter just turned 7 and has been skating for about a year and a half. We pay $65 for a 6 week learn-to-skate class and she wants to be a figure skater someday. She skates twice a week, once at class and I take her to a public skate. I wouldn't pay a solo instructor until she really needs it.

Here is a link to the U.S. Figure Skating Basic Skills Program. This is what most learn-to-skate programs follow. (Basic skills are basic skills regardless of why you're on the ice)

AND

Here's a link to U.S.A. Hockey's American Development Model which will also give you some lesson ideas.

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
All kids are different. Some kids learn very quick some don't. My son was skating after the first hour of an open skate. My daughter is still struggling with skating and she has been out on the ice over a dozen times.

My advice, if you do decide to teach this child, keep it simple and fun. Don't worry about circles and stops until the kid can skate forward without any help. My son started out by holding onto the boards and after a little bit of that he started skating without the boards. Then I turned it into a game for him, saying I bet you can't skate the length of the ice without falling. Once he started doing that it was I bet you can't make half way around the ice without falling, and so on.

Also you will need to have a lot of patience. I coach a mite team and have to remind myself that kids learn at different levels. Something that will seem easy to you will be hard for them.

So keep it simple and fun and remember to have patience and you should have no problem teaching this child.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
All kids are different. Some kids learn very quick some don't. My son was skating after the first hour of an open skate. My daughter is still struggling with skating and she has been out on the ice over a dozen times.

My advice, if you do decide to teach this child, keep it simple and fun. Don't worry about circles and stops until the kid can skate forward without any help. My son started out by holding onto the boards and after a little bit of that he started skating without the boards. Then I turned it into a game for him, saying I bet you can't skate the length of the ice without falling. Once he started doing that it was I bet you can't make half way around the ice without falling, and so on.

Also you will need to have a lot of patience. I coach a mite team and have to remind myself that kids learn at different levels. Something that will seem easy to you will be hard for them.

So keep it simple and fun and remember to have patience and you should have no problem teaching this child.
Very true....
If you are planning on just taking them onto a pond, you can use a folding chair as something for them to hold onto. Only a few times though, don't want them to be dependent.

the games are great. In my daughters class they see who can get up the fastest, or who can get to the boards without falling....The red light green light is great.
Have another class tomorrow, so i'll see what they do then.

Waltah*

when can you take a kid skating , my daughter is 13 months. she walks awesome. can we start bringing her to a rink?

tikkanen5rings*

Well I just started to teach my son who is 2 1/2 years old.
I use a chair for him to lean on. The first time was pretty much falling and rolling on the ice but he managed to stay up for 3 meters at the end without the chair :handclap:
I think 1/2 hour twice a week is better for kids. They tend to lose their focus if you go too long at first.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
when can you take a kid skating , my daughter is 13 months. she walks awesome. can we start bringing her to a rink?
I'd wait a littlle while. If you wanna start her earlier maybe get what they call Bob skates. I started mine on them at @ a little over 2yrs. then went right to figure skates. Mainly because you cant find skates smaller than a size 6 unless you get them custom made. These fit well with her winter boots.
b19THlmmQ4l5Uw-U-AzEH59Ol8Vb1AITjn7YuAwmYcTEb5bWgv8OXUiYRJXBUvHeheIHNTRHqok4mR3fS9eLuOFcd4C7HVIFhN0rFBZv_0yQLkCi-cHIdkgyGoCadSDow-6iwlSjzGLyp3Esoybca0OxKtBf9-Wu73M9lt1N71SV=s180

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ar-bob-skates.html
Amazon has them or i think Hockeymonkey may also.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Pretty sure I've heard that even guys like Crosby and Gretzky didn't start skating till they were about 3 years old. Never seen/heard of a 1 year old on the ice, doesn't mean it's impossible though, just unusual.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I'd wait a littlle while. If you wanna start her earlier maybe get what they call Bob skates. I started mine on them at @ a little over 2yrs. then went right to figure skates. Mainly because you cant find skates smaller than a size 6 unless you get them custom made. These fit well with her winter boots.
b19THlmmQ4l5Uw-U-AzEH59Ol8Vb1AITjn7YuAwmYcTEb5bWgv8OXUiYRJXBUvHeheIHNTRHqok4mR3fS9eLuOFcd4C7HVIFhN0rFBZv_0yQLkCi-cHIdkgyGoCadSDow-6iwlSjzGLyp3Esoybca0OxKtBf9-Wu73M9lt1N71SV=s180

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ar-bob-skates.html
Amazon has them or i think Hockeymonkey may also.

That's what I was going to suggest. I was four years old when I got them and skated on the hard packed snow on the sidewalks in Winnipeg. I then graduated to single blades that I was told I would grow into. My dad stuffed the toes with newspaper. Basically self taught and made it to pro hockey as an official.

Bend knees and slight bending forward at the waist for balance.

Waltah*

thanks folks, did some googlizing....3 is a good starting point.

oh well

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH

Start out teaching them how to fall and how to get up, then teach them foreward 2-foot c cuts, then backward 2 foot c cuts, then snowplow stops, then 1-foot c cuts and then crossovers.
I would think that the hardest part about teaching a kid how to skate is making it so that its fun for them. If they get bored, you will lose their attention and its pretty much a waste of time.
$50 an hour is pretty expensive, IMO. Im taking a Learn To Skate class that is 8 30 minute sessions for $100.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
So this weeks lesson they taught the kids was basically about balance. They gave them Beach Balls and had them throw them from over their heads then skate after them and pick them up. Then threw Beanie Babies also so they had to lean over more. Then they kind of played catch to see if the kids could stand well having to react to something quickly. Again with the games sort of thing.
They also had them skate through cones and glide a little. They arent really to the point where they glide much, but they're getting there.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Start out teaching them how to fall and how to get up, then teach them foreward 2-foot c cuts, then backward 2 foot c cuts, then snowplow stops, then 1-foot c cuts and then crossovers.
I would think that the hardest part about teaching a kid how to skate is making it so that its fun for them. If they get bored, you will lose their attention and its pretty much a waste of time.
$50 an hour is pretty expensive, IMO. Im taking a Learn To Skate class that is 8 30 minute sessions for $100.
I heard Madison has a good learn to skate program. My bro is going to take his kids. I've skated on the flooded pond there on the west side where they put boards up and everything. I forget the name of it, but there is a huge sleigh riding hill there also. It was nice when i took my daughter and her cousins.

krax

Jul 25, 2007
Hi,
First of all, make sure they have fun. Invent games, with or without puck, play thief and police and that kind of things. Try to make sure, they use their outside AND inside edge. Some good stuff can be found in the Laura Stamm and Robby Glantz DVDs.

Let them copy you, be an example, do the things slowly and the right way.

Some kids need to be corrected. With others there's the feeling you'd hurt something by correcting. Real talents do it right or do it their own way.

Make sure they do exactly what you say. Do not let them cheat, just to win a race for example. If you say, they have to turn on the face-off circles, they have to be on the circles.

Do not let them repeat errors for hours. If it's wrong, correct them. or change the exercise.

And let them be kids.

Good luck
k.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC

Yes. :laugh: If Canadians supposedly skate before learning to walk, why can't she? You never know, she might end up grabbing the gold from under our [Team Canada's] nose in some future Olympics :p

(And for proof... there are hockey programs specifically for 1-2 year olds, "mini mites" :amazed: )

Anyway, for the OP... Good advice already given, but I just say, be honest here. Really think about whether you will be able to teach this kid as well as a group lesson with a certified instructor would. I'm not saying you won't be able to necessarily, if you follow the advice above, but just think seriously about it and go from there. Don't rush into it without using your brain and "cheat" the kid's parent. :)

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
honestly...my father is a plenty competent skater, but he never really 'coached' me on that. and i think that was probably for the best. my parents enrolled me in power skating classes from a very young age, with an instructor who knew what they were doing when it comes to both skating AND teaching skating. and more importantly...i think i responded more seriously to an 'external' authority like that than i likely would have to my dad.

there's nothing wrong with teaching some basics and taking the kid out to build up their balance and comfort on the ice, etc. but you don't want to pass down bad habits you may have, and you don't want to have to worry about fighting frustration with your kid when he doesn't get it immediately.

trying to teach skating is one of the most immensely frustrating things i've ever attempted. lol. it's incredibly upsetting that 'i dunno, just like...do it right' isn't a valid piece of instruction. ;)

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
honestly...my father is a plenty competent skater, but he never really 'coached' me on that. and i think that was probably for the best. my parents enrolled me in power skating classes from a very young age, with an instructor who knew what they were doing when it comes to both skating AND teaching skating. and more importantly...i think i responded more seriously to an 'external' authority like that than i likely would have to my dad.

there's nothing wrong with teaching some basics and taking the kid out to build up their balance and comfort on the ice, etc. but you don't want to pass down bad habits you may have, and you don't want to have to worry about fighting frustration with your kid when he doesn't get it immediately.

trying to teach skating is one of the most immensely frustrating things i've ever attempted. lol. it's incredibly upsetting that 'i dunno, just like...do it right' isn't a valid piece of instruction. ;)
Exactly. I think some kids listen better to people other than their parents. It's control issues from a kid. So thats why i decided to enroll mine in a skating lessons with other kids and an instructor. I think may daughter often tiome leans on me too much when we skate. Always wants to hold my hand or go fast, and thats not the way i wanted to teach her. so it has been a breathe of fresh air to just sit back and watch her have fun....

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
I heard Madison has a good learn to skate program. My bro is going to take his kids. I've skated on the flooded pond there on the west side where they put boards up and everything. I forget the name of it, but there is a huge sleigh riding hill there also. It was nice when i took my daughter and her cousins.
I believe you are thinking of Elver Park. Ive skated there about a month ago and the ice was horrible. It was very bumpy and uneven. My fav is Tenny Park because its on a natural pond, so the ice is as smooth as glass and the rink itself is huge. Theres lots of great outdoor rinks in Madison though.
Madison Ice Arena does have an awesome Learn To Skate program and it is a pretty great skating city for how small it is.
Yet another thing that is so awesome about Madison. :)

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
I believe you are thinking of Elver Park. Ive skated there about a month ago and the ice was horrible. It was very bumpy and uneven. My fav is Tenny Park because its on a natural pond, so the ice is as smooth as glass and the rink itself is huge. Theres lots of great outdoor rinks in Madison though.
Madison Ice Arena does have an awesome Learn To Skate program and it is a pretty great skating city for how small it is.
Yet another thing that is so awesome about Madison. :)
Except the fact i couldn't find a job there...Ugh, stuck in Aurora....Tried, but my industry is not really strong there. but i do like the city a lot. Only pitfall was Beating up on my Tigers in the F4.

But yeah it was Elver. I think we went there because they live about mile from it and you could rent skates there for the little ones. You cant find that here. My bro was there this weekend and said it was good. But he is not as critical as i would be....I crawled to the ice because i didn't wanna get my skates dull.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->